Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think there's any evidence that this record was released against the wishes of Elvis. I don't recall reading any behind-the-scenes accounts of Elvis being upset about the album. We can speculate that Elvis probably wasn't thrilled by this release because it makes him look stupid, but to my knowledge there's no specific proof of this. And as with all things the Colonel did that made Elvis look foolish, it WAS within Elvis' power to prevent the album being released if it truly had been against his wishes. I think most likely it was another case of something Elvis didn't really like but was not willing to confront the Colonel about to prevent from happening.

Ellen1014, supernaut and phillyal1 like this.
  3. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Huh, so that's the story. I really love "Elusive Butterfly" - one of the best 60s tunes to hear on an AM transistor radio watching the sunrise - but The Elusive Bob Lind is not a great album at all. I actually feel robbed of the time I spent cleaning it up before I gave it its first listen. I agree that the cover is awful, too. I assumed it was recorded after "Butterfly," and was confused how someone with such a perfect tune could go on to record a snoozer like The Elusive. Now I know! Thank you for cluing me in!

Lost In The Flood and geo50000 like this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He did agree to write liner notes for the Bomp version of this album though. He's pretty critical of the recordings, but concludes by saying that "I like some of this stuff" and "So enjoy it, you collector of relics." I've seen it speculated that he agreed to write the liners in exchange for the deletion of the Summer 1972 version of "I'm Straight" which had appeared on the original pressing of the album on Mohawk Records prior to the Bomp version. It's a plausible theory, as that version of "I'm Straight" is not so hot.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Every Bowie reissue after his death.

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Didn't he have a plan in place where he structured (if not in detail) how he wanted the reissues to be handled?

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Throughout his life he'd asked record companies not to release certain demo's and unfinished songs ( even stuff the labels could have legally released)and within 5 years of him dying they're all out there.

8. InStepWithTheStars

But the major era-spanning box sets, at least up through 2018, I believe he arranged those in some capacity. (With the stuff they have released, the lack of "Too Dizzy" suggests he did have a hand up through at least Loving The Alien.)

You do have a point about the copyright extension stuff, and I doubt he had any pre-determined plans for the super deluxe reissues. But not everything was against his will.

9. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Well, those three songs (The Day We Fall In Love, Laugh, Auntie Grizelda), really bring it down, though.

10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

you're outta your mind.

11. The Beatles Live at the Star Club springs to mind.

51IS likes this.
  12. Nope. No way in heck it’s their best album but it does have some gems.

13. Clever title though.

14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

And Capitol wasn’t happy VeeJay released Introducing the Beatles 10 days before Meet the Beatles!

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Never quite understand why Heart signed with Portrait when they were still under contract with Mushroom.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

You mark my words if Bowie knew about those 7" singles box sets, the Toy box and the Hutch demo's he'd be spinning in his grave.

Man at C&A and supernaut like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

But you did say "everything". Don't want to be pedantic but for the major album collection box sets, he actually was involved with those. But yes, since his passing, they've taken the approach of "if he played on it, charge money for it". And there's no way Bowie would have agreed to that had he been given the opportunity.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I reckon 5 Years was the only box he would have approved. There's pretty dodgy stuff on all the others which totally goes against the mission statement of the first box.

19. InStepWithTheStars

I don't know how detailed his involvement was and I don't know what of it they followed and what of it they disregarded. I only know that he was involved in, if nothing else, the conceptual aspect of the boxes. I doubt he would have sanctioned the inclusion of The Gouster as a separate disc. Maybe he said "I want next year's box to cover 1974 to 1976". Maybe he wanted the Maslin mix of Station To Station to get a wider release. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he said "I want next year's box to cover 1974 to 1980" and they ignored that because two boxes make more money than one box. The people who know can't and/or won't say. All I know is that, for at least those boxes, he had involvement. So to say everything released after his death qualifies is wrong. It's possible the end results might not have been to his satisfaction, but he sanctioned them while he was alive.

Colinjpush and Lost In The Flood like this.
  20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

There are a couple of things that occur to me about this:

1. When an artist is alive and active they are often reluctant to release anything from the vaults that shifts the agenda from their latest album. Once they are no longer active I don't think that is such a big concern.

2. As we know, Bowie was a fan of art. I am sure he was interested in sketches that shed light on an artists work processes. I imagine he would have recognised that there would be a similar interest in his own 'sketches' when he was no longer around.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Seriously, you can write the words 'Black Star' on a sheet of paper and draw a line under it and everything under that line (picture discs, mystery coloured vinyl, singles boxes, in fact everything) is nothing but exploitation. I seriously doubt Bowie would have approved of any of it. When I see people's Bowie collections on YouTube and post Black Star exploitation is part of their collection it cuts me like a knife because I know Bowie actively didn't want it out. If the after death releases had been bootlegs put out by drug dealers and organised crime it'd be okay but the record complanies (WARNER'S AND SONY are their names) have totally gone outside the stated wishes of the artist in releasing these products.

supernaut likes this.
  22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

are you saying bowie didn't want black star released at all, or just all the off shoots?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Everything after Black Star. That's why there's a line under it. Black Star was released when Blowie was still alive. The exploitation (SONY and WARNER'S) started three days later.

Music Geek likes this.
  24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

ah got it... I find black star too emotionally heavy to listen to as great as it is....

Yea Bowie would not be happy with what the record companies did...

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I might be completely wrong. It's just my personal view but after the Five Years box things drifted south very quickly. (Welcome to the Blackout is great but I seriously doubt Bowie would have sanctioned it)

supernaut likes this.