"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. You are right for the most part....people want to see the money shot and then move on....Next excitement please with very little patience given.
    But there are enough who are actually interested in the other aspects of what is going on to have an audience........but.......

When they spend two episodes discussing where they will dig.
    Two more episodes showcasing where, and from whom, they purchased the shovel they will use to dig.
    Two more episodes talking about specific techniques they will use to actually dig with the shovel they purchased a few episodes ago.
    Two more episodes contemplating other potentially better shovel techniques.
    Two more episodes of walking around geolocating the exact spot they will begin digging....which was them basically using guesswork to decipher the portion of ancient legend and lore maps as drawn from the memory of six different generations of people who were supposed to have know someone of significance in map lore.

At some point you may find yourself questioning the TV show asking, "when will someone actually take the shovel and dig a lump of dirt?"

They....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Drag....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Things.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Out......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

To the point of testing even the patience of Job.

This is what caused me to leave and not look back.
    I wish them well, and I hope they find something interesting and useful, but I just don't have any desire to invest any more time watching them belabor....anything.

Boom Operator and Alfie Noakes like this.
  2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

The endless flashbacks and micromanaged recaps get under my skin. At some point you have to stop making the show for someone who walked in for the first time and is clueless.

3. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I mean there is always the option of NOT watching the show??

I enjoy the slow pace, and the fun to watching them every week.
    I think there comes a time for some to just move on to shows they do enjoy.

Not every show will be for everyone.
    This thread sounds quite like a bitch fest now.
    I thought it was a thread about people that watch the show and enjoy it....obviously not.

SpaceGhost2112 likes this.
  4. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I still watch it, for what it's worth. I agree with a lot of the criticism, they jump to the wildest, oldest conclusion at a drop of the hat. But it's harmless tv. They've found far more by metal detecting than drilling, so for me, the money pit area seems to be a bust. The finding of trace amounts of gold and silver in the water is interesting, but I wonder how accurate the testing is, and is there another explanation for this? I'll keep watching it until they give up or treasure is found.

5. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Like some have said, I watch but I don't care if there's any treasure. There probably isn't, at least not anymore. There's enough archeological curiosities to keep me interested, for the most part. I do tire of the incessant flashbacks. I don't really need to see that same old film of Fred Nolan hauling a plank of wood around week after week, for example. I wish that they would cut the number of episodes in a season so they can do away with a lot of that repetitive episode padding.

There is enough of a story to be uncovered about the previously unrecorded history of the island and its' prior visitors to be told here that doesn't involve finding treasure, to me anyway. Others can only be convinced it's a worthwhile endeavor if they dig up the Ark of the Covenant. So be it.

6. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Here we go…this is the heart of the issue. As someone who’s seen about 90% of the episodes, and is a fan, there simply isn’t the level of discovery to support that many episodes. It feels like the purchase of Lot 5 was made to keep things going, as in what else can we have Gary scan? At some level I’m OK with that if it helps support funding the search, but it does make for slow going at times…

Spaghettiows likes this.
  7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Well, you can thank the Canadian government and their red tape for shutting down excavation in the swamp and the reconstruction of the Garden Shaft.

ssmith3046, Borgia and DIYmusic like this.
  8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

They turned this island into swiss cheese with all the holes they dug it's a wonder the whole
    doesn't sink.. There goofy fools..

9. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Once you realize that if any when anything is ever found it will be all over the media … it makes watching this trash totally pointless.

Boom Operator and Brett44 like this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I forget if it was someone here or a comment I saw elsewhere that said the real treasure is the money it makes for The History Channel.

11. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I used to think that but I live less than an hour from the island and never hear anything. It's private property and I would think that everyone working there has signed NDAs.

I don't believe they will ever find a huge financial treasure anyway. For me, it's all about the history of my home province.

ssmith3046, reapers and DIYmusic like this.
  12. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Totally agree. Those expecting a huge box of treasure are completely missing the point.
    The history aspect of this story and the numerous finds ARE the appealing part to many, including me.

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yes. I wish they programme-makers would take this aspect more seriously, but that's the nature of these shows, but if it had a couple of fat guys with beards and guns chasing the aliens of Oak Island, it would be positively orgasmic for some viewers...

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's too bad a third party type can't have 100% access and make their own documentary about the findings. Since the island is privately owned and the History Channel is making money off it, I'm sure that will never happen.

smilin ed likes this.
  15. AndyTaylor

History that they made up and numerous finds of nothing?

Boom Operator likes this.
  16. Absolutely. I find it hard to believe that people have swallowed the idea that the Templars were on the island. I mean, how could anyone believe that wild conjecture without a shred of ACTUAL verified evidence? And that's just one example of the wild speculation some consider to be facts.

numer9 and AndyTaylor like this.
  17. AndyTaylor

Have they suggested aliens yet?

18. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Totally agree with that. My theory is that it's a very old ship repair facility. Everything they have found supports that.

19. artfromtex

Then why the flood tunnels?

20. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member

To put the kiln fire out!

jrice and pocketcalculator like this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Maybe they'll eventually find the contents of Al Capone's vault there.

22. artfromtex

:laugh:

23. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

If they proved the existence of "flood tunnels", I missed that episode.

24. artfromtex

They did a huge excavation of Smith's Cove a couple of seasons ago and they found at least one of the entrances along with other previously undiscovered structures.

DIYmusic and jrice like this.
  25. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I remember that but it didn't really prove anything. If I recall, it was some rocks and fibers but no clear pathway.