A question about grounding wire

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tristero, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

My friend got a turntable a while ago and he hasn't been able to hook up the grounding wire because with the way he has things set up, it's not long enough to make it over to his receiver. The wire comes right out of his turntable and it isn't long at all. Is there a way to add an extension wire for this or does he just need to rearrange things so that his receiver is directly below the turntable? I know this is kind of a weird question, but for whatever reason, he's been willing to put up with the hum, but it drives me crazy every time I go over there!

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, it can be extended. It’s only a single-conductor wire, nothing special.

Barry_NJ, macster, Leonthepro and 3 others like this.
  3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Of course. Just use a piece of 16 gauge wire ot thicker and a wire nut.

4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Just be sure to make a secure connection between the receiver and the extension wire and the extension wire to the existing ground wire.

Barry_NJ, Tristero and Big Blue like this.
  5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Perfect answers above.

Rodant Kapoor and Barry_NJ like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Good solution, but 16 gauge?

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

That is just what I used on my Project/One. It has a grounding jack on the TT and I doubled the length of it when I moved the room around. I have loads of extra wire and just grabbed it first. Probably overkill, but better than too small. I forgot to add that I used a little dielectric grease in the wire nut. Probably overkill too...

Tim 2, timind and Big Blue like this.
  8. This,
    [​IMG]
    or this,

[​IMG]
    Or this,
    [​IMG]

Tim 2, timind and Big Blue like this.
  9. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

More importantly the ground wire is traditionally the same length as your phono cables. How is your friend reaching the receiver with the phono cables? Extending the phono cable length will negatively affect his sound and may introduce hum.

timind likes this.
  10. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

@Pretorius
    I’ve never heard that mentioned before- out of my own curiosity what would be driving that relationship?

11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Very easy to get a longer ground wire.
    The neat way:
    Open up the turntable and solder in a longer ground wire.

The easy way:
    Cut off the end, strip it and extend it using Wago splices, the inline ones are the easiest:
    [​IMG]
    this is Wago number 221
    Just two orange clips/levers you open, put the wire in both sides and close them again.

And don’t bother with those wire nuts. They’re way too much hassle. People still recommend them, but they’re really a part of history.

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Any gauge wire will work, it's not carrying any current.

Big Blue and timind like this.
  13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

If this was a long term solution I tended to try and get a green wire of at least the same gauge as the ground wire. This can help avoid confusion when you are looking behind your stereo equipment and can't see where the wire originates from. I would solder it where it joined the other wire there are other options shown above. I also installed a spade lug at the receiver end of things rather than wrapping bear wire around the grounding screw.

You know thinking about this topic really makes me miss Radio Shack. In the places I have lived there was one or more in every town, even more in the city.

Tim 2 and timind like this.
  14. The ground wire can be extended. I extended my own on one of my turntables. I am a believer in soldering the bare wire connections and covering them with shrink tube. They will never pull apart .

15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

They are simple, effective, and UL approved. I will stick with history.

16. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Wow, bear wire.

Here in the UK we get Gorilla Glue, but bear wire is new to me!

Tim 2 and Jim0830 like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

In North America bear wire is usually used around the parameter of peoples yards to trip bears when they try and enter.

18. In this case it shouldn't.
    I have had a belt from 2 grounds of differing impedances, and it wasn't pleasant.

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Two grounds at anytime is not a good thing.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  20. Tell me about it!
    Being the flesh and blood conductor between them hurts.

When I last got a belt off the ground it was between the plumbing and electrical grounds. In the UK they should be tied to the CMET (consumer main earth terminal), but in this case they weren't tied together.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Another funny thing is when signal ground from the turntable is connected to the case of a phono preamp that has its case connected to protective earth through an IEC connector, while various other components in the same system have a grounded IEC connection as well.
    In those cases it’s more or less inevitable that multiple paths to ground/earth are created.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

WOW ???
    The chassis ground the OP is installing should have no current what-so-ever, if there is there's a serious problem.

timind likes this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Chassis grounds shouldn't cause a 60hz ground loop issue even if they have a different potential.

24. Absolutely!
    Mine was an unusual scenario, but it did occur.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. It was like a static belt with hobnail boots...

Tim 2 likes this.