Rega Platters, Subplatters, Groovetracers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dynamicalories, Jan 30, 2022.

1. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got 2 Regas: an RP6 and a P1. I'm thinking of getting the Groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter for the RP6. Is there any reason I couldn't go ahead and fit the RP6 subplatter and glass platter onto the P1. Can the P1 motor handle the additional mass?

2. Smartos

Smartos Member

The motor of the P1 can definitely drive the glass platter of the P2.

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The RP6 has a different height subplatter. This has to do with build of the RP6. This is also true of the Planar 6. The rimmed platter isn't the same thickness as the P1 platter where the it sits on the subplattter. It would work if you used the RP6 platter. But the stock P1 platter would sit proud. Even with a shorter, Rega cartridge, you'd need to shim the tonearm base to compensate. I would not get rid of the old platter and subplatter. Put them back in the P1's box. If you're willing to just give the mod away for free, you've not a lot worry about. But you're asking a lot if you expect someone to buy the P1 with this mod for extra money. So keep the stock subplatter and platter for resale. I think someone might be more willing with the new Planar 2 with Bias control. But you're pricing yourself out of the market with a modded P1. Your mod could easily be sold for $200 as a used replacement part. Rega sells the RP/Planar 6 platter for $365. And the subplatter isn't all that easy to locate either. But I would think most would just buy a metal one for $100ish if they had an RP/Planar 6 platter.

4. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. Sounds like it's at least worth a try. Not looking to sell or anything so not worried about upgrade value or anything. Just looking to use the RP6 parts rather than letting them sit.

5. I have a Groovetracer RP6 Reference Subplatter that I don't need anymore, since I don't have my RP6 anymore. If someone is interested in one, send me a PM. I gave the original box with instructions, special oil etc.

6. judasgoat

judasgoat Well-Known Member

I finally pulled the trigger on a Groovertracer Reference subplatter for my Rega P3, based on the positive feedback I've read on this forum. I'm hoping that it makes a difference.

I did have a question regarding speed, and if replacing the subplatter will require me to adjust the speed on my NEO PSU. Frank at GT answered that it probably won't be necessary (though it's never a bad idea if I have the option). I don't have a great way of accurately meausring RPM, as I find the apps inconsistent. There's also the consideration that RPM speed is affected by the stylus moving through the groove, so I'm not sure how to account for that. I'm not overly concenred with achieving perfect RPM speed and am hoping I can simply install the subplatter and not worry about it.

If anyone has any advice on the above subject or the general setup of the subplatter, I'd be happy to hear from you!

7. When I replacced the standard subplatter on my RP6 with the Groovetracer, it brought the speed down just ever so slightly. My Rega RP6 was running slightly fast, and with the sub-platter, it was pretty much perfect.

Before, in order to get rid of my Rega RP6 running fast (around 33.4 rpm or so), I used a belt with a thinner diameter, which brings the speed down just a bit.

With the Reference Subplatter, I went back to the standard black Rega belt, and the speed was about perfect.

A simple way to test it, if you have a vinyl record which you know is cut from digital, then record that vinyl record (preferably with a very long track) and compare it to the digital version (CD, download). Then you can cue it up in your audio software, find some clear starting and end points, and see how long your recording is compared to the the digital file. Then you can calculate exactly how fast your table is running.

In the end, I was tired of playing the records at the wrong speed and simply did get a Technics SL-1210 GAE table and sold my Rega RP6. I did like the RP6 sonically, but I wanted the right speed. When you play along a record with a tuned guitar, you will notice the speed differences.

judasgoat likes this.
  8. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

judasgoat likes this.
  9. judasgoat

judasgoat Well-Known Member

Interesting note about the piano. Do you remember what recording/album you were heard this with?

10. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Oh man, you really had me thinking on this one. But it came to me and the record that got heavy rotation around that time was a Canadian pianist. It was a John Arpin "direct to disc" record . Pressed in 1975.
    Cheers, Doug

judasgoat likes this.
  11. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

You're changing the rotational mass, so I would expect a modest change in speed. For my purposes, I find the RPM app "accurate enough", you just need to use something to get your phone up over the spindle so that it's centered on the record. It's wildly easy to adjust speed on the NEO - I'd check it, even if you're not using a lab-quality tool.

judasgoat likes this.
  12. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I have a very thick plastic 45 RPM adapter that is just big enough to support my Samsung phone above the center of the platter. Coming up with something similar shouldn't be too hard.

judasgoat likes this.
  13. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

That's EXACTLY what I do; I have a thick metal Nagaoka adapter. I actually put a record on, set the adapter on top of it, and then put my phone flat on that - that way I was able to account for some degree of stylus drag (which could theoretically change from record to record...a slippery slope). Again, not lab-standard, but...pretty darn good.

judasgoat likes this.
  14. zed

zed Forum Resident

For what it’s worth — I bought my daughter an RP1 and she wanted the acrylic cover. We bought - no name one on Amazon. After a while she noticed a lag in the speed. Put the Rega one back on and worked perfect. I’m going to upgrade the belt on it. The 24v motor should handle it but she noticed a lag.