Nagaoka MP-150 vs AT540ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JoeWild, Jan 22, 2023.

1. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Between these two.. for rock and pop?

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

For Rock Pop and especially Jazz the 150 might be more exciting sounding. The only problem are those terrible styli that wear out fast and dont track too well compared to the ML.

3. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

I had a Nagaoka MP 300 on my old Rega Planar 8.
    For rock, the Nagaoka was not good.

Soundslave likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Both cartridges have their pros and cons. If it were for me, I would choose the AT, but only with custom loading. If you cannot custom load but have a decent medium mass tonearm, I would pick the AT 95ML over the 540.

The MP-150 would be okay for me but only on tame instrumental music. Without more context like system info, record condition, how sensitive to IGD you are, and so on, it is impossible to make an informed recommendation.

5. JoeWild

What would custom loading be, again? I currently have a 540ML and have to use shims so it actually properly touches the records, but once with it, it sounds pretty fantastic to me. Still getting used to the sound but liking it more and more..Airy , detailed and silk-like, while being able to still sound great at higher volume.

I may get a 95ML to compare sometime, but I feel I may miss detail & airiness? I reckon maybe not at all! I've read is a bit more "dark" sounding which sounds interesting on it's own and/or in case one could find the 540 to be bright, but I actually don't think is bright but rather neutral with great precise and punchy bass and lots lots of detail.

Have a Yamaha A-S501 and JBL Studio 530 speakers with Fluance RT85 TT

Opriv likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If anything the 95ML is the neutral cart. Its got a pretty flat response.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What phono preamp are you using? The one built into the Yamaha or something else?

What cabling from the back of the TT into the phono stage input?

8. AJR99

AJR99 Well-Known Member

iirc those Fluance tables have a high mass arm, so I would go for the VM95ML

9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yeah, if you like the VM540ML for that slightly tilted up presentation, you won't enjoy the 95ML or the Nag MP-150 for that matter. The MP-200 I think is somewhere between the 540 and 95: neutral overall but with an ever slight treble emphasis /extension and better bass response (accurate but more fulsome).

JoeWild likes this.
  10. JoeWild

Fluance PA10 or something.

Cabling, not sure, I got them from Amazon. I'll check and post

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Nag 150 has significantly more treble emphasis than the 200. At least in my experience and with my equipment.

The VM540 has a touch more top end than the MP-200 but they are very close. The 540 doesn’t quite have the midrange beauty of the 200 either.

Dr. J. likes this.