Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

$50 for Footloose!! No wonder the country's in a mess!!

iloveguitars, scobb, westcj and 4 others like this.
  2. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

Easy-E, Bonddm, imarcq and 2 others like this.
  3. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

imarcq likes this.
  4. westcj

I snapped up the Ariel and Twighlight's CDs

5. Big Swifty

I'll grab Coloured Balls on Aztec for $11.90 every day of the week.

imarcq and westcj like this.
  6. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

That Died Pretty Lost is also worth picking up.

imarcq, Big Swifty and Mylene like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That Coloured Balls album is pretty rough. The piano is recorded off mic. I like Love You Girl Because .. but the rest is tough sledding.

Easy-E, imarcq and Big Swifty like this.
  8. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Ouch.... sounds painful!!! ;)

westcj and Big Swifty like this.
  9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

The sound quality is a bit better on this version, I reckon.
    Gil wasn’t involved with the Sandman version.

Colored Balls - The First Supper Last

“Of course, the album has been available on CD before. This is the first time, however, that the complete audio as heard on the original vinyl pressing has been reproduced. Remastering expert Gil Matthews discovered that several segments had been lopped off when the first digital transfer was undertaken for the 1997 CD.

He has now restored the full audio, with one minute of bird and animal sound effects returned to the end of ‘So Glad You’re Mine’, the studio chatter returned to the start of ‘Liberate Rock Part Two Revisited’ and the correct ending of the same song now back in place.”

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    westcj, Mylene, ispace and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

westcj and Mylene like this.
  11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

That Twilights album is fantastic and I love that it includes both the stereo and mono versions.
    Aztec had a Twilights compilation planned, but they haven’t released anything since last April.

12. Big Swifty

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

they were also going to do a complete Masters Apprentices box but someone wouldn't come to the party.

Because they did a digital transfer of The Twilights the stereo mix of one-track sounded like crap and they had to mix it manually so when they edited it back into the album the master was addled so that's why there's timing differences between the mono and stereo mixes. They all actually are the same lengths but editing in the manual stereo mix of the last stereo song changed the timings.

westcj, Bonddm, ispace and 2 others like this.
  14. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Her's my copy. Check the band name!

ispace, imarcq, Big Swifty and 2 others like this.
  16. Big Swifty

Very cool. Jealous!

imarcq and Mylene like this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The overdressed that and Obsecration. There were boxes and boxes of copies at Sunday markets for 10 years.

westcj, imarcq and Big Swifty like this.
  18. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

this set if beyond outstanding - produced by forum star Matt Lutthans

ispace, imarcq, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  19. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I thought I recognised his name in the credits! I remember exchanging a few posts with him around the time the Hoffman mastered sets came out. I do have an 1980s USA CD box of all the NKC trio transcripts which I'm pretty sure he put me on to. I'm tempted by the 10LP set but will see what I think of the 7CD set I've ordered for now. You can get the 10LP set direct from the labels website for US$99 but the expensive shipping to Australia brings it right up to the Amazon Australia price.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Easy-E likes this.
  20. westcj

Aztec seem to have quite a few releases planned, but not much has surfaced in the past twelve months. I'm a big fan of the label, but it must be difficult with all the effort to put out a release: finding original tapes, licensing, remastering etc. and then having a limited market, more so with the move away from CDs.

I imagine they would be lucky to break even on most releases.

Bonddm, imarcq and ispace like this.
  21. Big Swifty

Bulsara and imarcq like this.
  22. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

I just wish Aztec had got around to doing the second Dragon album 'Scented Gardens for the Blind' they did the first 'Universal Radio' and there was talk of doing the second but sadly it never happened. One of the best melodic prog albums bar none and it has never had an official CD issue! It is as good as the Spring album and by a NZ band and hardly anyone has heard it, I so regret selling my orig French copy!!

Bonddm, westcj, ispace and 2 others like this.
  23. Big Swifty

imarcq likes this.
  24. Big Swifty

imarcq likes this.
  25. Big Swifty

I received this today and played it right through.

The issue is audible tape hiss. It's very audible. Louis' voice also overloads the mic occasionally so it will test your cartridge. If these things bother you, this is not the album for you. Personally, I think they add a little charm to an old jazz recording and this LP is an absolute cracker.

EDIT: Definitely some distortion on the vocals at the end of side one. Will certainly test your cart and perhaps your patience.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Easy-E, Bulsara, westcj and 2 others like this.