Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Another "never knew that existed" moment tonight. Efrem Zimbalist, of all people, wrote a suite of Spanish dances for viola called Sarasateana. Which is to say, they take as their launching point four short pieces by Pablo de Sarasate. The were commissioned, and here are played, by William Primrose, who was probably the most publicly celebrated violist of the mid-20th c. At the time, Zimbalist was head of Curtis, and Primrose taught there, doubtless the reason behind the commission. Be that as it may, they are fun pieces--if you know Sarasate's "Zapateado," try imagining it somewhat souped up and transferred from violin to viola. A hoot. That's the closing mvt.; the other three are, in order, Tango, Polo, and Malaguena.

I see that two modern recordings are available on CD, one on Centaur and one on Naxos. I can't speak to either, but I can say that Primrose did disappoint.

[Edit: Oops! Forgot to mention, Primrose's accomplished accompanist is pianist David Stimer, about whom I know only that he played on this record set. I should further add that the pressing is one of those late RCA Victor 78 RPM issues that don't fall much short of LP quietness of surface.]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    George P likes this.
  2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Haydn
    String Quartets, op. 20
    Auryn Quartet
    Tacet, 2010
    2 CDs
    Fine interpretations, but one niggle about the venue acoustics.
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Too resonant?

4. dale 88

Right... or perhaps a touch too much reverberation from the church where it was recorded. Of course it could be that my audio system is at fault. ??

5. dale 88

Listening to these quartets a couple more times, I am struck by the fine performances and the clarity of the recorded sound. Turning up the volume does minimize the venue acoustics influence.

6. dale 88

Dipping into this box set again, I like many of the 21 discs.
    Haydn
    The Complete String Quartets
    The Angeles String Quartet
    Philips, 2000
    21 CDs
    recorded between 1994 and 1999 by Joanna Nickrenz and Marc Aubort
    [​IMG]

Wes H, MrJerry1876, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Lp. Tchaikovsky. Francesca da Rimini and Hamlet. Svetlanov conducting. 1978. USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra.[​IMG]

8. George P

Good news!

I am enjoying this seemingly generic looking CD, which is actually excellent!

[​IMG]

TOCJ-4091, jfeldt, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  9. Daedalus

Igor Zhukov playing Tchaikovsky’s, The Seasons. Excellent performances of these pieces for solo piano. Very good recording quality. Melodiya( non-export).[​IMG]

10. Daedalus

A wonderful recording! 1958. Reissue of the famous Everest recording. An audiophile classic and very entertaining performances.[​IMG]

ToniFromMars, jfeldt and TOCJ-4091 like this.
  11. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

12. George P

[​IMG]

Once again, enjoying this CD set.

SeeDubs likes this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

A similar issue, not on Music and Arts but on Berlin Classics, preserves Abendroth with Friedrich Wuhrer in Schumann's pno. cto., a work Wuhrer didn't record commercially. Abendroth actually did a commercial recording of the Brahms 4th, with the LSO, quite early on in the electric 78 era; Victor released it in the United States as set M 31.

14. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

If that’s the one (Schumann) I’m thinking of, I’ve only seen the Eterna LP and didn’t know that it also appeared on CD. As I’m just about finished tracking down all of the ‘Art of Hermann Abendroth’ Arlecchino titles, I’ll have launch a new search. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    George P and drh like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

It's this one, coupled with the Schumann cello cto. (Tortellier).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always glad to help somebody else spend money--er, find something they want! ;) I don't know if it's still in print; I took the photos from an eBay listing. Good luck!

TOCJ-4091 and George P like this.
  16. George P

Me too. I have found that this is when my pockets are the deepest.

jfeldt, Ian Roberts and drh like this.
  17. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Oh good! I was just reading up on this. Thx. :cool:

[​IMG]

drh and George P like this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my favorite Paganini Rhapsody.

Daedalus and WyldRage like this.
  19. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

My own copy is inbound... as soon as the UK mail troubles are over! They lost one of my packages from Prestomusic in December, which contained my would-be gift for my mother, and I fear they may have lost another package, this time from Europadisc...

George P likes this.
  20. George P

Oh no! Hope it works out very soon. The PC3 on that CD is superb as well.

21. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear it. I doubt it will beat Argerich/Chailly as my favorite (she's hellbent on that record!), but I have high hopes for 1-2-4 and the Rhapsody.

22. George P

Oh, you got the whole set! Wise move.

IMO, Rudy does not beat the Argerich/Chially for excitement or speed, but he does beat her in detail, beauty and articulation. I prefer Janis/Dorati over both of them in this work, though.

23. dale 88

I bought another Takacs Quartet disc of Haydn string quartets. And I am sorry I did. You would think I wouldn't be that gullible, because 10 years ago, I reviewed another Takacs Quartet disc of Haydn and said I didn't like it. Here is part of my post from 2012.

"I purchased three of the recordings on the New Yorker list of the best recordings of 2011. So far, I not excited by two of them. Next year, Alex Ross, will not be a favorite critic for me.

[​IMG]

I don't care for the lead violinist's technique and mannerisms on the Haydn: String Quartets Op. 74 - Takacs Quartet (Hyperion)..."

The new disc receives the same criticism from me. I think the lead violin playing is weak-kneed.

Haydn
    String Quartets Op, 42, 77 & 103
    Takacs Qt
    Hyperion, 2022
    [​IMG]

24. George P

I'm no fan of Takacs too, Dale!

dale 88 likes this.
  25. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

I think this, is so far, my favourite of the Dvorak Symphony Cycles. Which is your favourite please?

[​IMG]