"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

They were on the verge of something there and their permit for using the cofferdam expired.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Yet they never tried to trace the "flood tunnels" back to the pit. They let it go at that. If the flood tunnels lead to the money pit, and they traced it, they'd know the location of the pit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The worst treasure hunters "Ever"!...........................

4. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Maybe some of you guys should start your own

"I hate oak island" thread.
    Cause usually threads are for positive replies, and not just silly bashing and comments as this seems to have turned into.
    Out of respect for those that watch it regularly and want to actually discuss it please............

artfromtex likes this.
  5. artfromtex

What they found was constructed exactly the way the flood tunnels were described. Same design, same materials. They didn't have time to determine the directional orientation because they had to take down the cofferdam.

6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

A little excavation on dry land may have solved that.

7. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I do like the small excavation they are doing on Lot 5, each novel find adds to the history of who was there or what they might have been doing (independent of the treasure narrative). I feel like Laird is underutilized — hanging around and not saying much — but then I figured they don’t let him talk because he would probably pour cold water on their speculation. He had a few informative comments in the last episode.

gabbleratchet7, numer9 and Borgia like this.
  8. Mirrorblade.1

I wouldn't put past somebody to shove with there finger into soft soil some rare antique coin thats not suppose to be there....
    I don't trust these people..

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I grew up in northwestern New Mexico, about a 45 minute drive to Durango, Colorado. I was born in 1952 and when I was kid in the early 60's my dad would load my mom, sister, and I in his Jeep Wagoner with his metal detector and we'd drive up to the old silver mines and camps in southwest Colorado and explore them. We didn't really find much of value but every weekend trip up those old abandoned locations was a history lesson. It instilled a love of western history in me that has lasted my entire life. I was fortunate and over the last 50 years I've lived in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Arizona. Each state has its own fascinating history.
    I enjoy Oak Island, warts and all.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Isn't the search for a huge box of treasure the whole point of the show? I'm pretty sure if the legend said there might be some random artifacts spread around the island, not a single one of these hunters would have bothered.

We're not missing the point at all, we're getting annoyed that the show hasn't delivered any actual evidence and keeps stretching out the search for nothing.

numer9 likes this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

But there's gold in them thar water samples! :)

12. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Probably originally sure.
    But once historians, and the Canadian government got all involved, they are no longer free to just do what they want.
    That adds a considerable amount of stalling on EVERY decision they make.
    I do not believe the show it just stalling it out purposely. Most is permits, govenment issues and all the other stuff they sorta hint at.
    It is now a historical site, and no longer are they free to just do anything they want, sadly.

I guess I see the show as finding a lot of stuff and to me it is still quite interesting. I guess we all see it different ways.
    I really enjoy the fun of finding historical things and the connection to europe and sailing ships and Templar etc.

Sean, jrice, ssmith3046 and 1 other person like this.
  13. artfromtex

Laird is only there because the Canadian said he has to be. He is essentially a liaison for them and keeps the team from breaking any rules. He also got the swamp excavation shut down because they found a few shards of indigenous pottery.

14. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I love my home and native land but they excel in paperwork!

Sean and artfromtex like this.
  15. artfromtex

*Canadian government

16. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

While it may be true that Laird is there because the govt. says he must be, I've watched some YouTube videos with him and he seems like a fully vested member of the team. He talks about all the work that goes on behind the scenes, the fun they have, the arguments they have, etc. Makes it sound like he really enjoys himself. Laird, Gary Drayton, and Billy Gerhardt are my favorite Oak Islanders. Oh, and Miriam Arsenault.

ssmith3046 and artfromtex like this.
  17. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

That seems odd because they appear to own the island. What's the worst that could happen?

18. artfromtex

Laird is a good guy and you can tell he really likes the Lagina Brothers and company. But, the Canadian government said he or someone had to be present to approve digs. The Laginas decided to add him to the team because they had already worked with him and liked him.

But, he is there on behalf on the government. You can tell Marty is getting really frustrated with the red tape.

smilin ed likes this.
  19. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

So did they find it?

20. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Not quite yet… maybe another five year commitment on the network’s part might make it possible to begin to uncover the final chapter.

Maybe.

numer9 likes this.
  21. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

My theory, and I've never watched the show, but I've been to Halifax, and I think that 1917 explosion dislodged the treasure by 304 yards to the south. Pass that on and get back to me.

Sean and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  22. Mirrorblade.1

Oh they found the book of the dead . And troubles ensues ...:D

supermd likes this.
  23. Texasjohn

Texasjohn Forum Resident

That would be Todd Hoffman

24. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

As somebody noted much earlier, RIPTIDE by Preston and child is an excellent work of fiction loosely based on the legend of Oak Island. As the the actual island, and the treasure …. a big pile of hooey in my view.

Brett44 likes this.
  25. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Technically they don't own the island but they have purchased most of the lots. I'm Canadian and I don't understand how it all works but they can't just do anything they want. It has been designated as protected land by the Government. Everything they do requires permits and oversight. Likely because so many people have tried to turn it into Swiss Cheese in the past.

Plus, even if they find treasure, they may not get to keep it - probably just a finders fee. But that's not an area where I have any expertise.

fretter likes this.