"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I understand that, as the brothers probably do as well. The lack of interest by the Canadian government, who has no problem approving 1,000s of acres for strip mining, tells me that nothing's down there.

2. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Well, nobody around here that I've ever spoken to thinks there is buried treasure there. I remember the Readers Digest story that they read, I read it as a child also. When the Laginas arrived here before there even was a TV show, there was much eye rolling. I enjoy watching it though, having zero expectations of buried treasure.

fretter likes this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's a path on the island. At some point in time a length of which has been covered in field stones to make a cobble-stone road. I'm assuming the reasonable explanation is that someone who settled on the island in the 18th or 19th century (prior to the invention of asphalt) constructed it so they wouldn't have to walk down a muddy path. In the recent episode I saw, the show made a "connection" to the ancient Romans and came to the conclusion that they had visited the island and constructed the cobble-stone road because (they claim) it is exactly the same as ancient Roman roads in Europe. As "proof" there was a flashback to a previous episode when they visited a Templar church in Portugal searching out Templar symbols. While there, they saw a cobble-stone road dating from ancient Roman times and noted the (to me, questionable) similarity to the Oak Island stone covered path.

Sean, fretter, numer9 and 1 other person like this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

[​IMG]

fretter likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like the show but outside the "war room" the need a Tom Smykowski Jump to Conclusions Mat. It'd be perfect. :)

artfromtex likes this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Every season ought to consist solely of a two-hour long episode based on what they've found rather than the bizarre conjecture and frequently repeated head shots with the participants' names in text below them. I suspect they have uncovered important archaeological detail that will affect the way people think about the settlement/colonisation of the area, but these facts have to compete with 'documentary' shows about fat guys with beards and guns runnimg around the woods or idiocy claiming aliens are responsible for the achievements of civilisations other than our own (which fits a certain narrative...) or more idiots telling us what a Big Foot or 'chupacabra' prefers in his diet and what his 9-5 routine is like.

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

:laugh:
    Good one.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

It's an 'an forged 'ook. :)

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  10. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Is this joke of a show still going?

johnod, Trader Joe and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This is the year.

If not, it will be next year.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

12. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Can it be? The show is still going? (Twenty minute flashback of previous nothings found from old shows before five minutes of new content finding new nothings).

Brett44, Trader Joe and Scope J like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

New nothings are better than old nothings.

artfromtex likes this.
  14. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for it, been watching since the beginning, lot's of fluff like finding an old rusty nail does not excite me anymore.

They do seem to be getting closer to something, but yeah, it will probably drag out to next year.

One thing, that I'm sure has been mentioned already:

The entire reason they have so much money to invest is due to the the money they get from it being on TV, if the TV show went away, so would most of the expensive high-tech drilling and stuff, so I am fine if it continues..

15. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

"the mysterious 900 year old well"...."the well that may date back 900 years".....the show is a joke....not one bit of science here.

16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

"This piece has Roman Numerals, VIIII"
    Please....my god.

reapers likes this.
  17. MythosDreamLab

I now record it and watch afterwards, so I can FF thru all the BS, I can now watch a show in about 30 mins..

Even more of a train wreck in the Blind Frog Mystery show, I can watch that hour long show in 15-20 minutes...!

Alfie Noakes and reapers like this.
  18. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

And why didn’t they inscribe it as IX? The mystery deepens…

numer9 likes this.
  19. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Was that a typo? If you FF through all the BS you can watch a season in about 30 mins.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Somebody at history channel should the plug on this..

Wasted time on what if's and maybe's real archaeology exist's these people are clowns.

21. AngusStanley

They have a hundred million people watching trash like this and Ancient Aliens, you think they’ll pull the plug on success?

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  22. MythosDreamLab

I think our definition of "BS" differs....lol

23. AngusStanley

BS : fake drama, the same thing recapped about four times every episode, absurdist theories out of nowhere, setting up every new possible idea as the big thing that’s finally going to blow the case open and then it’s nothing. I think my math is about right!