Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK) PART TWO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 29, 2022.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy Forum Resident

They're very responsive on (of all things) Facebook Messenger! It's often Martin Grennall responding, sometimes Peter Q! :) I just showed them the eBay listing and they validate that the cable looks legit, and then will cross-reference any details the seller provides (name, when it was purchased and from whom, any service history, etc) just to make sure. I always do this when buying AN cables, as the counterfeits are everywhere. If there are any question marks, best to pass on it.

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy Forum Resident

Yes sorry, it's confusing! This was my system before Sogon:

Digital:
    Lumin U1 -> AN-Vx AES digital cable -> Jacoby DAC3.1 -> AN-V interconnect -> Oto Phono SE Sig -> ISIS speaker cables (single wire) -> AN-E/Spx HE

Analog:
    TT-2 Deluxe w/ TT-PSU, Arm Three/II, IO I -> AN-S3L -> AN-Vx -> Oto -> (same as above)

The Sogon is replacing the AN-V interconnect between the DAC and Oto.

jonwoody and Salectric like this.
  3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy Forum Resident

(The speakers were originally AN-E/LX HE, but I got Ben Jacoby to upgrade the wiring to SPx while he was in there replacing woofers bashed in by my kiddos..!)

Andy Saunders, jonwoody and Salectric like this.
  4. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

talking about interconnects (specifically cable between SUT and RIAA), today is a public holiday and i imagined i might do a proper comparison of cables in that position, for example:
    - sogon 50
    - sogon 42
    - sootto
    - pallas
    - silverfi R3
    - A23

I imagined i would use the same recording and try and offer some good dry observations of the various cables performance. really stick it to those ASR guys! :)

i put on lou reed's transformer. thinking perhaps this could be a record i could use to make some comparison.

but then as @dunkyboy observes re: AN, it just sounded "right" with the pallas, and of course in this position AN recommend pallas it seems (installed on some of their SUT) and so i thought to myself "what can i add here?".

it would be of interest to me to back track to my previous cable, to confirm what i now hear and that the pallas is the specific cause. @finn said to me the other day that when it comes to vinyl playback sometimes it is a matter of tradeoffs. the only tradeoff so far with the pallas i observe is a slight hum (but of course i haven't had to get my wallet out yet!). the hum is only noticeable when no music is playing. a small price to pay for a system which plays records like this one does.

today i turned the hifi on and listened straight away. it sounded 9/10. by the second side of the record the Jinro and M6 had warmed up and a certain sweetness/bell sound and liquidity added to the already great playback to make something exquisite and beautiful. and this not even for a great pressing!

i was reminded how good a stereo i get to listen to now, when i heard david bowie singing back up to lou reed on "satellites of love". in the "old days", pre-audiophile, i strained to hear mr Bowie and was more told of his involvement than "knew" of it via my own ears. today in this stereo (tt3-m6-jinro-an/e) it was david bowie i heard myself, as clear and as welcome as golden sunshine.

JanJ, NapaBob, Andrew Mackay and 5 others like this.
  5. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

I have a deal set up with my 8 year old. If he breaks my speakers, I break some Legos he built. He would never endanger his Legos. My speakers have remained untouched!

6. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

The O is everything.

the_bat, Footsurg and audio archon like this.
  7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy Forum Resident

This was when my boys were 3! In fact, I had trained them well, and they never touched Daddy's Toys. But we had a play date, with a bunch of other 3-year-olds running around, and the unthinkable happened...

Don Parkhurst and jonwoody like this.
  8. Morten V. Hansen

Morten V. Hansen Well-Known Member

JanJ, NaturesDub, NielsSS and 8 others like this.
  9. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

A very nice review.

I appreciate his comment about “doesn’t do air”. That’s honest. He also says he doesn’t care. I find that a refreshingly transparent viewpoint.

JanJ, dunkyboy, BettisDad and 3 others like this.
  10. roole

roole Forum Resident

Hi, fellow aficionados. Just wondering what protractors are you using to set-up your AN IO carts? Have you experimented with VTF settings? Optimal is 2.5 g but does anybody use it differently? How did you set your antiskating? If some of you use Hi-Fi News test record, does your IO pass bias and tracking tracks? Thanks for your input.

dunkyboy likes this.
  11. finn

finn Forum Resident

Are you asking because you have an IO and you think it could sound better?
    The IO is a cartridge that requires meticulous set up and quite a deal of experience in order to have the sound you might hope for. I could give you all of the parameters of the installation of the IO Gold in the TT3/ARM3 butthen it may not suit your room or the tonal balance. I’ve been setting up turntable for 36 years and I start with a basic alignment and them begin to play. 90 minutes later it’s getting there. Another 2 hours and I’m generally happy.
    The best place to learn is from someone who can show you how the system changes as you make minuscule adjustments and can demonstrate why you need to trust your ears.

rappaport, dj_w and SetANE like this.
  12. roole

roole Forum Resident

It would be very nice. Thank you finn.
    And yes, I have IO1 on TT2/ARM2. Using Mint LP protractor with 2.5 g of VTF. But I'm in the deep woods with correct antiskating. Using Hi-Fi News Test LP bias tracks, but IO cart do not pass neither bias, nor tracking tests.

dunkyboy and SetANE like this.
  13. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

One of the perennial questions: do you have a scenario for switching your AN gear off? Turn the volume down first? Do not turn the volume down but keep playing music until it's quiet? Amp first then everything else? Unplug a minute later? Do not unplug at all? Cut the red wire? No, wait, cut the blue wire?

I turn the amp off first, without turning the volume down but switching the selector to tape first, then turn everything else off. Never unplug unless I'm moving or switching power cables. But I just had a friend contest the scenario.

BettisDad likes this.
  14. finn

finn Forum Resident

I looked at the list of protractors manufactured by Mint and I didn’t see one for the arm you have on the TT2 so can you let me know which one you are in fact using?

15. roole

roole Forum Resident

Initially I bought Mint LP for my Rega TT with Rega arm. According to Yip (aka Mint LP), you can use his protractors on other turntables IF Spindle to Pivot Distance is the same. For Rega and Audio Note TT1/2 this distance is 222 mm. To cut it short I'm using the same protractor which I bought for my Rega.
    Btw, it's very hard to use MintLP with IO, because cartridge body hides the cantilever. Thus I was wondering what other options could be.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  16. finn

finn Forum Resident

There is the possibility that the arm board for the TT2 is not locating the arm such the spindle to arm pivot is not 222 mm’s so the first thing required is to check that measurement. As to the other possibilities, you would need to confirm with your dealer that the suspension, arm wire dressing under the arm board and accuracy of the tracking weight device are all correct. Also to consider, are you using the heavy tone arm weight rather than the lighter version used for the IQ cartridges. Using the correct weight will give significantly better tracking capability.

SetANE, dunkyboy and roole like this.
  17. roole

roole Forum Resident

Anyway, I was hoping to hear other experiences with IO alignment. What protractors have been used, any experimentation with VTF, antiskating settings and relevance of test LPs.

18. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

I actually did the adjustment without using any protractor. A first time for me. I followed the manual as excact as possible. It says that the IO is correctly mounted on the AN-Arm when you can see excactly half of the first set of holes on the IO in front of the arm. I have been using a WTF just on the heavier side of 2.5g, 2.51-2.53. The AS is a mystery to me, and I have not been able to hear any big differences one way or the other.

roole likes this.
  19. roole

roole Forum Resident

Could you share that manual? Official AN manual directs to the protractor.

20. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

roole likes this.
  21. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

I am using an AN-1S Sogon tonearm and IO Gold. I contacted Kip a long time ago to purchase a Mint Tractor. He wanted to make sure we had all the numbers correct, so I measured the tonearm length and height and verified with him. At the same time I purchased a Fozgometer and Analog Productions Test LP. I use a digital calibrated scale to dial in the 2.5g of VTF . This is only after I have painstakingly leveled the platter and rack. Then I use the protractor and a 10x loupe to get the zenith adjusted properly. When the stylus is perfectly aligned with the grid there is a few mm of cartridge body overhang off the front of the head shell. Then I tighten the bolts. Recheck VTF. Then use the Fozgometer and test record to align the VTA for a dead center image. VTA is adjusted on my arm by rotating the head shell either inward toward the record or outward towards the edge of the plinth. If the VTA is off then you will have an image that is favored LEFT or RIGHT of center but not dead center. Once I have adjusted VTA then I recheck level and VTF one more time before listening. I will go through checking everything several more times before I call it good. I make this sound easy, but this process generally takes 3+ hours to complete. As for anti-skating I use a bright light to shine on the cantilever while it is tracking a record looking at it from the front head on. If the body of the cartridge is leaning toward the inside of the record relative to the cantilever then I add in some + anti-skating. If it is leaning toward the outside then - anti-skate until the cartridge body is perfectly centered over the cantilever. If it is perfect then I leave at zero. In most cases I don't find I need to make any big anti-skate adjustments.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  22. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Hi all,

I'm currently listening to a Dac 2.1x Sig that I've kindly been loaned by my dealer. I was having an issue with the digital side of my system which I thought was down to my little Border Patrol Dac. Turns out it wasn't.
    However, I absolutely love the 2.1 Sig, so much so, I'm going to put an order in for one... But then I've wondered, is it worth going up to a 3.1 balanced? Whichever I choose is going to be end game for me really.
    The reason I ask is that I know the 2.1x Sig is really well regarded as a sweet spot. Is the 3.1 a big enough jump sonically or should I just put that money towards the next amp...

The next amp - my original plan was to buy a Meishu tonmeister this year... However I'm also thinking about holding off, saving a while longer and going for a Jinro next year.

Ta

23. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Phil,
    When I first started listening to AN DACs, I found very little difference between the DAC-2 and DAC-3. In fact, more difference between the DAC-2 and DAC-2 sig. Just one opinion.

BTW, on the amp question, remember that you can get the Tonmeister with phono - but not the Jinro. And the phono section of the Tonmeister is quite good.

jonwoody, BettisDad, dunkyboy and 3 others like this.
  24. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Bob, thanks for your thoughts.

With regards to the dac, that's sort of the feeling I have, probably from reading this thread.

So, with the Jinro, I'd probably pick up a reasonable used phono, then eventually order an M5 riaa.

Let's call it the five year plan :)

jonwoody, whaaat and audio archon like this.
  25. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I demo'd a 3.1x/II Balanced and wasn't all that impressed. I thought for less than half the cost one could own a much better sounding DAC.

To each his/her own. We all hear differently. Every system is different. And any other disclaimer I forgot.

If it was my money, I'd allocate it to the amp.

:)