Alec Baldwin Movie set Gun situation question

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Jan 30, 2023.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know we have some studio insiders here. I find it hard to believe that a real gun was being used (real bullets or blanks). Isn't there some kind of "prop replica" that could not fire or even hold a bullet if it wanted to? With all the realistic props that every movie has....there are no FAKE GUNS?

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Good question. I always thought that they were fake all along. Little did I know...

BoogieFish likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I am not an insider, but I remember a thread about this when the first news broke (which has since been shut down if I am not mistaken). Opinions among the people who would know seems to vary greatly. No question this particular gun was not handled properly.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I am also not an expert, but I believe there are totally fake rubber guns that can be used when they are not needed to fire and real guns for when they are.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

I’m not going to comment on the incident or why certain decisions were made, but to answer your question:

There are fake/prop/replica guns.

Depending on what level of authenticity you are going for, especially with a period piece, real guns can be used with dummy ammo (heck, many modern films use CGI for gunshots these days). And, of course, budget for the film factors in.

In any case, whether the guns on set are prop/replica/real, NO LIVE AMMO, should EVER be on set. EVER.

GMfan87', Drifter, aoxomoxoa and 7 others like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

7. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Last thread on this subject got nuked. I expect the same this time.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned on this incident...there was a massive chain of FAIL all the way from beginning to that gun going off, from a lot of people.

9. Walter Ruben

Walter Ruben Routine Expedition Member

Real guns are used in movies all the time, always have been. The human element introduces the error factor.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have real ammo on a movie set.

11. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Really? What happened?

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

there wasn't supposed to be. the armorer was not being vigilante

Crimson Witch and Quakerism like this.
  13. Walter Ruben

Walter Ruben Routine Expedition Member

This is the heart of it.

It was known that the bulk dummy rounds they purchased to make the film had live rounds mixed in. Why that continued to be the case after the discovery is mind-blowing from an outsider perspective.

How many people knew this and did nothing to sort them? Or replace the lot?

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Would a layperson be able to tell the difference between blanks and live ammo by sight? Are blanks obviously not real bullets? (Either way, it is crazy that there were live bullets on a movie set - I'm just curious.)

Quakerism likes this.
  15. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I used to play with blank guns (starter pistols) that had blocks in the barrel to reinforce that it was indeed an inert pistol. There were replicas of some variety in the pistols (spy type or regular revolver) but surely Hollywood could afford a blank gun that looks exactly like the weapon they are portraying.

In the 1920s and 30s they used real machine gun fire on some of the gangster pictures. Someone like Jimmy Cagney had to be careful peeking around a corner and then pulling his head back as the shots ring out.

mbd40, 64FALCON and mmars982 like this.
  16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

It certainly makes me question all those mysterious mauling incidents on the set of Jurassic World Dominion.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I've been on sets with real guns, fake ammo. I've never been aware that a prop guy and the actor each check the ammo.....but I bet they both do it now...
    and maybe even a third party checks...now anyway.

18. Crack To The Egg

It went into full on politics.

19. Crack To The Egg

Considering the barrel blockage would be visible in the shot as would the revolver’s cylinder, that’s not exactly going to cut it.

Quakerism likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

21. Crack To The Egg

Most have a visual mark on them. If not, you can tell by shaking them or weighing them in your hand.

mmars982 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

There are of course fake non-functioning firearms, but none that can fire a blank, which a film featuring firearms would need. A little flag that pops out with the word 'Bang!' isn't exactly realistic!

What shocked me about this incident was that they allowed live rounds (not blanks) on the set. I can't see a reason for that.

SandAndGlass and Front Row like this.
  23. Crack To The Egg

You’re comparing blanks and bullets, which is not at issue in the Rust situation. You should be comparing bullets and “dummy bullets.”

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Yes. Blanks do not have a projectile (the bullet) sticking out of the brass. Instead they have crimped brass, in order to hold in the gunpowder. Blanks are also marked with a color that wouldn't see on a real, live round.

25. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I'm trying to remember what was in the Jon erik Hexum gun. I could look it up I guess.

64FALCON likes this.