SH Spotlight NEW! Your questions answered: How to properly master an audiophile vinyl record..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Piero, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Piero

Piero Forum Resident Thread Starter

As suggested by Steve Hoffman,for don't hijack other threads,I start this with the background:

Steve said "I've mastered over 500 albums to vinyl all using the wide dynamics of a good sounding master tape. Not a problem.

Cutting a record from a manipulated tape copy aka "Production Master" aka "EQ Copy" aka "Lathe Copy" aka "EQ and Limited Production Master" is only done when a producer demands it or the original is gone. Cutting a record from one of these production dupes otherwise is just lazy.

"

I said "Can you confirm that the works you worked in mastering have never, compared to the original master, undergone any compression intervention with consequent reduction of the dynamic range, no equalization intervention (with consequent modification of the energy curve of the signal)?

So can you explain to me how you can "channel" the peaks of +15 db that you read on the Studer instruments?

Adjust the zero db of its finished product on the peaks of + 15 db ? And where do the pianissimo go?

I could almost believe it for CDs, for vinyl it's IMPOSSIBLE.

You, in your CDs, put practically all the features of the original master in terms of dynamics.'

Steve said "I can confirm it, yes."

I said "For me the dynamics of a 1/2 inch tape at 38 cm/sec in a vinyl, it doesn't even fit in a dream."

I was able to get in touch with professionals in the field of current Italian recording studios, I listened to master on reel at 38 cm / sec (direct copies from master).

The different language and my bad english don't help to understand,but if you do not equalize, do not compress ...What did they pay you to do? For copying the master ?

If you have not compressed the master, it does not mean that someone has not done it, during cutting, for example ... But someone must have compressed.

The dynamics of a somewhat cheerful analog recording, 70s and 80s, on vinyl just does not enter, unless you transfer to such a low level that the record, on standard systems, would sound empty and lifeless. And it doesn't seem to me that your works sound like that.

I have all the Prestige series at 45 RPM 100 AP titles , all the Blue Note 50 titles and the 25 Impulse titles ,20 years ago I was a subscriber and all the records have the same number (under 100) and are signed by you and Kevin Gray,and they are amazing, for me to date the best version of the existing title.

I wrote what I wrote because based on my knowledge,the process that leads from master to cutting can not not to have dynamic compression / limiter. So much so that the signal that drives the engraver stylus is delayed compared to that managed by the control electronics precisely to allow the timely intervention of the compressors.

I listened to the masters that have peaks at +15 db, and many audiophiles do not even have the faintest idea of what is the dynamics of a master.

I wish to understand where you calibrate the zero db of the cutting from analog master ( to 0 db of the recording or to, for example, + 15 db of the recording ) will be all clearer and above all, if it calibrates to 0 dB, how does it handle the peaks over 0 db ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Perhaps, if you own a lot of my work, compare the digital versions to the vinyl versions. You will see that the dynamics are the same, or sometimes, in the case of the vinyl version, even more dynamic.

How is this done (I am speaking only for Kevin Gray and myself)? A groove can hold a lot of information, easily 20 db of dynamic info. In the old days the engineers would master records with a compressor on, in order to keep the music level above the noise floor of the vinyl. The entire reason that audiophile LP's started was to fix that, add the dynamics back in and still make a record that won't break the groove.

A record can take easily +3 on the meters, the computer sees on the preview heads a split second before the sound hits the cutter head on the lathe and opens or closes up the groove to match the dynamics of the music. This was invented in the 1950's by Columbia (they called it "Margin Control") It meant that a record side could be easily 20 minutes or so without worrying. Before that (78 RPM records) the groove was "fixed" so no matter the dynamics of the music the groove stayed the same size. This made for very short records!

The reason so many audiophile releases on vinyl now have MORE noise than the old days is that often the music dips below the noise level surface of the vinyl, because of no compression. So the vinyl compound needs to be really pure or it can sound terrible.

The three tricks of keeping a vinyl side intact dynamically is to first sum the bass to the center. If we didn't, each side would be like 5 minutes long.

The second trick is to cut the record with a giant treble boost and bass cut. Since 1955 this EQ curve has been standard in the music industry and is called the "RIAA Curve." You phono stage reverses the process in playback, lowers the treble and boosts the bass back up. If done right (by your phono stage) the original sound of the mastering is nicely restored with noise going way down. This is why a good phono stage is so crucial.

The third trick is crucial to record making, without it the cutter head would burn out constantly because the RIAA curve BOOSTS the treble so much during cutting (to be reduced in playback). The treble information over 12k (12,000) is compressed. It stays pretty constant regardless of dynamics, protecting the fragile cutter head from burning out. So the full dynamics of the music can shine with the tippy top end held constant. This gives the music a lifelike analog sound that can sometimes be an improvement over the digital version.

In the old days of Scully/Westrex stereo 45/45 cutting (1958-68 or so) the cutter head actually turns the top end out of phase around 8k (corrected by the Neumann machines in like 1968 or so.) Because of this "flaw" the old cuttings can have more of a lifelike sound than some modern neutral masterings (think RCA-Victor "Living Stereo" original cuttings). A charm that can't be "mixed" in, it must be cut that way. This can be done in modern mastering with a little effort if really needed, one of those "up the sleeve" tricks I sometimes used). I've done it a few times when I thought it was needed. The Neumann method moves that "out of phase" problem way up the freq. scale so it can't be heard. Makes for a more accurate record.

So this is how to cut a record with dynamics intact. As long as the bass is summed, the overall level watched and the "air" limited, a modern audiophile mastering can really sound as good as the tape (sometimes even better due to the magic of the process!) The biggest problem is finding the correct original analog master tape to use and bypassing the "EQ'd Cutting Dupe" whenever possible..

So, I have to take my kids to school now. I will be happy to answer any other questions later.

sjaca, paulisme, PB Point and 108 others like this.
  3. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

The "trick" is of course not hidden, even though many want to believe you just hit play and a lathe transcribes untouched what's on a tape. Good argument to be made here for avoiding tapes that are either dupes or re-EQ so you're not doing the magic (summing, high end roll-off, etc) multiple times, no? Dare I say then that in the case where you only have access to a master tape for a short period of time it'd be best to, I dunno, do a DSD 256 clone and then perform these tricks off that source, rather than claiming some ontological analogue purity signal chain while rely upon previously futzed with or at the least repeatedly copied tapes? I take it there's a thread about that elsewhere... :)

Thanks for the fine post, and for providing this virtual asylum for us lunatics.

Cracklebarrel and Joy-of-radio like this.
  4. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Thanks to you & @Piero for that extremely informative info!!
    One question about bass summing for vinyl: I've seen engineers online saying wildly different answers, from centering everything below like 250Hz (?!?!?!) to summing everything below 100Hz being just fine. On masters I've provided to clients for vinyl duplication I've stuck with summing 80 Hz and below as I didn't want to neuter the bottom of certain side-signals too much, and hoped that might be plenty...
    What say you, @Steve Hoffman?

izgoblin and tug_of_war like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Depends on how long the side is and how dynamic the music is and how full the bass is. Each record is different..

mikmcmee, tug_of_war, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Analog 1:1 is what we did, a safety tape as it were. 30 ips 1/2" AES.

Why do a recut from digital if you don't have to?

At the end of the contract we offered the safety to the record companies. Some took it, others told us to destroy it instead. Some didn't care one way or the other..

goer, dee, izgoblin and 13 others like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

8. TongueDruid

I primarily mix (and semi-often have to master my own mix) for modern hard rock & metal bands... So, up to 24 mins per side, huge bass lots of sub info, not very dynamic (usually only allowed to get away with what measures @ 7, 8 or 9 DR/LUFS, maximum...)

I've heard that I should just leave the vinyl moves for the cutting engineers themselves @ the plants, and prob just roll a "vinyl cutting masters are the liability of the client" rule into contracts, but these days w/ all of the incessant horror stories of distorted vinyl pressing problems I'd like to minimize chances of my work getting squelched if I can help it! :shrug:

Best to leave it up to the cutting pros, I suppose?

dee and tug_of_war like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Well, here is a thought. Most (99.999%) of "modern" mixing places the bass in the center of the image, right? So it doesn't matter what you sum at because the bass is already in the center!

In the old days, mixing engineers like Tom Dowd would place the bass in the right or left channel. This is crucial info and means that summing to the middle is essential. Now, in modern times, doesn't really matter much unless you have low synth or something coming from the right or left.

ARK, Bolero, Panama Hotel and 8 others like this.
  10. TongueDruid

True bass and kick are mono but a lot of bands have ultra-low tuned hard/panned guitars these days, where I usually keep everything above 80Hz on those in tact, so when I see people online saying "sum everything below 200 Hz for vinyl" my gut says that is b.s. but it also makes me paranoid :laugh:

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

As I said, it always depends on the actual length of the LP side. Under 20 minutes, keep the summing under 100. Longer, maybe make it higher. But 250, that's madness..

izgoblin, tug_of_war, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. TongueDruid

Awesome that's exactly what I hoped to find out, thanks very much Steve!!

Ayshpaysh likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

No prob. Kevin Gray usually does 100 cycles. That seems to work the best for a standard rock album. Jazz is different, harder, because old stereo jazz records have an acoustic bass out of one channel only. A bitch to cut.

14. TongueDruid

Yeahhh I always assumed mastering the ol' bass-left/gtrs-right type of mixes are more of a brainbuster for you guys!

tug_of_war likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, the hardest, actually. Funny that a Bill Evans Trio record would be harder to cut than Deep Purple "Made In Japan"!

16. TongueDruid

I don't envy you on that end! Being primarily a mixer it just feels much more like a "get in there & go wild!" scenario, but whenever I have to Master/Remaster in general (nevermind cutting vinyl!!) the sweats kick in and all I really feel is a sweaty "DONT F*€k THIS UP, CHAMP!" :laugh: Vinyl cutting would likely make me have a cardiologist on speed dial

mikmcmee, dee, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

One of my most favorite and informative posts, ever. Thanks!

18. Steve Hoffman

You’re welcome. Glad I could make the process more understandable.

19. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Yeah, considering that middle C is 262 Hz, summing everything below 250 Hz to center would be very noticeable. Kevin's preferred threshold of 100 Hz seems reasonable, though.

TongueDruid likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

In a few cases where the drums were mixed in stereo, the bass drum ended up on the left or right channel. Another reason for summing at 100 cycles.

izgoblin, Sean, StingRay5 and 2 others like this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Steve, can you explain what differences there are for you to remaster at 45RPM vs. 33?

Also, there has been some debate as to the sonic benefits of remastering at 45RPM. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Sipuncula, Tullhead and eric777 like this.
  22. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Interesting topics and discussion.

Steve- any thoughts on mastering with solid state versus the tube/valve consoles?

23. Steve Hoffman

Can go a few db louder. Everything else stays the same, mastering wise.. I like 33 1/3, personally. But my turntable is a pain in the butt to stop and start again so the less side flipping the better..

mikmcmee, WICKEDEXILE, jim249 and 9 others like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Eh, not really. Too many tubes can rose-color the sound. No tubes can make stuff sound dry and dusty. All depends on what the original music sounds like. For vacuum tube recorded music I prefer solid state record cutting..

25. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member

How do you account for the great sound of the UK Abbey Road 2/1 first pressing. Long sides and Lots of bass in left or right channel. Come Together and Something come to mind.