Will Trent On ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jan 9, 2023.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I never read the books so I don’t have any visuals in my head, other than the cast here!

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I liked 'The Mentalist', but no ... 'Will Trent' (neither the show nor the character) is similar to 'The Mentalist'.

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Its okay. I like the characters and hope the program runs long enough for the actors to mesh.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I liked the 4th episode better than the 3rd, but the villain was almost rather super-powered. Interaction between characters is really good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I watched the first episode. I had a mixed reaction. I thought the black lady who played his temporary partner was kind of amateurish, and she took me out of the show unfortunately.

I wasn't really sure what Trent's "power" was, either. I love Monk and Psych, and in both shows it's pretty clear right away what they are doing and how they use their gifts ("and a curse" - Monk) to fight crime. Trent seemed like he was emotionally stunted more than gifted. Also, granted it's the first episode, but I didn't find him very compelling as a character. I instantly locked onto Monk, for instance, and he made me want to watch more. Monk can be a pretty ridiculous character at times (it's amazing at times they put up with his insanity), but Tony Shalhoub really sold it right from the first episode. Perhaps the Trent actor will find his groove, too, I don't know.

P.S. - for those who don't think it's intense enough, the murder in the first episode involved a blood soaked man wrestling for several minutes in a life and death struggle with a woman while a teenage girl lay in a pool of blood in the next room; I was not expecting it to be that gory. I didn't feel all that was necessary, either, to be honest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I thought the first episode was fine. They have taken most of the grittiness away from the novels and are turning it into a “Case of the week” type show. I think it,would be much better with several episode story arcs or a case running the length of the season with side stories along the way. The character is borderline Asperger’s and has dyslexia, kind like Monk on a lesser level OCD wise.

His partner is certainly under skilled. That’s why Trent’s boss put them together. Trent is the GBI’s leading case closer. She’s learning from the best.

AppleBonker, jpelg and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. John B Good

I hate these dak interiors. It was like Trent has 10 watt bulbs in the lamps.

Am I the only one who thinks the boss cop sounds like Whoopi Goldberg?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i think it gets better every week......:shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I started watching episode 5 last night. But gave up when Angie and Ormewood were at a crime scene touching everything in sight with no gloves on. Wow... that's pretty lame even if it's just cop TV show :rolleyes:. I'm done with this show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I enjoy flawed, human characters who turn their personal challenges into their super-strength.

rjp and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Agreed, wife and I are really enjoying it.

boggs and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. She’s from the TV show “The Wire”(among other shows)

John B Good and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. John B Good

I've not seen that show. Wondered if that was her actual speaking style or is it an imitation of Goldberg?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. I just think it’s her approach to the character. I don’t think she’s deliberately trying to imitate Goldberg.

John B Good likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

last episode got even better, i hope this show sticks.

Scope J and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

same

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Not a fan of the cast per se especially the male detective with the attitude but I love Will Trent so we continue to watch. Also interesting to see a cop show based in a place other than LA or NYC.

John B Good and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I'm living in fear of this show not being renewed, or being renewed in its present form.
    There is none of the grittiness of the novels. Very little use of Will's intuitive talents (none in the most recent episode), no overlapping plot lines (except the on again, off again relationship with Angie).

And my favorite literary cop, Eve Dallas, is nowhere to be seen on tv. About 56 excellent novels that are just crying out to be adapted to the small screen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. John B Good

Good episode but once gain the lady cop picks up a gun without gloves on. Who writes these scripts?

Bill Mac and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I want to see an episode where Dave and Carol come visit Betty.

21. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

So far, Betty’s the best thing about the show.

22. pghmusiclover

I don’t have a clue what your post means.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. You'd think the actors would say to the director "shouldn't I have gloves on?".

Matthew Tate and John B Good like this.
  24. pghmusiclover

Oh for crying out loud, it’s a TV show! I really don’t get people being so particular about details like this in a FICTIONAL story!

There’s a few questions about the show in this weeks issue of “Ask Matt” on TV Insider:

Ask Matt: Meredith's Meh 'Grey's Farewell

25. John B Good

But it makes me think they go out of their way to script it this way. Weird IMO.

Bill Mac and Matthew Tate like this.