Sunrise Records Canada - New Stores opening thread.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jimod99, Apr 19, 2017.

1. DIDXDIDP

DIDXDIDP Well-Known Member

I noticed today that Sunrise Records increased the price on some CD releases

Billie Eilish - "Happier Than Ever"
    Regular CD - now $15.99 (Previously $12.99 on release day)
    Deluxe CD - now $21.99 (Previously $17.99 on release day)

Perhaps it was only a temporary price cut and the price now is the normal price..

2. DIDXDIDP

Taylor Swift - Red: Taylor's Version (NOTE: Shipping late, due to arrive in stores next week, call ahead to confirm availability)

How is this suppose to be late? It is one of the most anticipated album of the year?

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Vinyl orders are constantly being shipped late these days…that’s not exclusive to Sunrise.

Sean likes this.
  4. DIDXDIDP

Sorry, that was referring to the CD release. the CD arrived around November 22nd and some restock ABBA - Voyage CD as well. Those are possibly their biggest sellers of the year. I had
    one put aside for me, so I have them both now.

Haven't seen any vinyl of Taylor yet.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I did pick up the only cassette they had of the new ABBA album at my local Sunrise. It will be a Xmas gift for a friend who is a huge ABBA fan and a fan of cassettes. He's got like almost 2000 of 'em now.

Chemguy and noname74 like this.
  6. DIDXDIDP

What's going on with Sony Music Canada prices at Sunrise? The prices are extremely high.

The Sunrise website only shows if the item is in stock at the West Edmonton Mall (Alberta) location, so if you live in another province, then Sunrise "encourages"

you to call the location near you regarding availability - please!

Not to mention the release date is not guaranteed and sometimes the items appear in the store weeks later or whenever Sunrise made a payment to Shane Carter?

From this listing it shows that the price on Sony Music Canada items slowly rise every few weeks or months at the time

ELVIS (Original Soundtrack) | Sunrise Records (July 29 - $19.99 CD)
    Renaissance | Sunrise Records (July 29 - $18.99 CD)
    Harry's House | Sunrise Records (May 20 - $17.99 CD)
    So Far So Good | Sunrise Records (May 13 - $17.99 CD)
    Explosions | Sunrise Records (May 6 - $13.99 CD)
    https://www.sunriserecords.com/product/194399712221/we (May 6 - $17.99)

The $17.99 ones at Sunrise were $15.97 at Wal-Mart Canada and the $13.99 one at Sunrise is $12.88 at Wal-Mart Canada

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is there a sunrise records in windsor?

Sean likes this.
  8. DIDXDIDP

Sean likes this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Went to the Pickering store today for the first time since before Covid. Nothing much has changed... their selection is still lacking, and the items they *do* have are still ridiculously overpriced. They'll be out of business again before too long if they don't make some changes to their business practices.

Chemguy and Sean like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The location near me in Ottawa has had distribution issues for months. However, late in the summer they did get a new batch of records. They told me they got over 200 titles to fill their racks & they did get the new Ozzy & Megadeth relatively on time at least within a few days of release. lol

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There is a Sunrise exclusive Megadeth CD with a couple of bonus trax. Same price as the regular version.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The guy at the Pickering store mentioned something about issues with their supplier, which he claimed was the reason they had no Ray Lamontagne CDs at all... disappointing, since RL's most recent album Monovision is right at the top of my "must buy" list.

But he also said they had no copies of Pink Floyd's new Animals remix because they only ordered 3 and they already sold out... so clearly their lack of stock is due partially to idiotic business decisions and not just supplier problems.

Sean likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

My location had a few cds of the 2018 Animals remix but no wax. CDs usually show up first at this location.

15. DIDXDIDP

These two are Sony distributed releases. It could be that Sunrise doesn't order every SKU from distributors to save costs.

Anyways, the Ray Lamontagna release is in stock here at another shop.

https://www.grooveyard.ca/store/music/cd/lamontagneray-monovision/

16. DIDXDIDP

As predicted, Taylor Swift's "Midnights" is late/delayed into Sunrise locations.

Sean likes this.
  17. DIDXDIDP

Sean and Chemguy like this.
  18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

$38 for the deluxe edition of the new Simple Minds cd!!

I don’t think I’ll bothet....

Sean likes this.
  19. DIDXDIDP

it's about 27.99 USD.... so $38 is "about right"

The release is distributed by BMG Rights Management (Warner Music Canada here)

20. DIDXDIDP

imgur.com - Original price

imgur.com - Price increase as of November 3rd, 2022

I was able to get all of the colored CD versions last Friday for $14.99 (the original price)

Now they are all $17.99

21. jimod99

It’s $25 on Amazon! You can expect a few dollars difference, but not nearly 50% more expensive!

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Stopped into the Pickering store today to see if they had any Black Friday sales... but they weren't offering any deals at all, aside from a small discount on vinyl.

So, along with their usual pitiful selection and ridiculous prices, the trip was a total waste of my time.

23. jimod99

They have been selling left over RSD stock from previous RSD’s at 40% off all week. Some stores don’t have any notices about it, but it’ll ring up at the till.

24. DIDXDIDP

The location at Sherway Gardens in Etobicoke announced on February 3rd, 2023 that the location would be closing effective February 5th, 2023.

25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Damn...That's too bad.