"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Same here for twice with the cinema reissue. 7 total as I caught it 5 times last summer. Such a great theatrical movie. Sad that it can't be viewed more in that fashion

artfromtex, MRamble and RSteven like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is a very interesting video of an interview with Los Angeles celebrity divorce attorney Christopher Melcher regarding the impending battle. The most interesting part comes around the 8:00 minute mark until the end of the video. The scenario does not look very good for Priscilla Presley. Both the interviewer and the attorney believe that Riley is the only proper choice for being named trustee of the Lisa Marie Trust.

Shawn likes this.
  3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Does this thread need to be retitled "Death of Lisa Marie Presley", because it has sure veered way off topic at this point.

It's meant to be a thread discussing the movie "Elvis", with all constructive criticism, both positive and negative, it invites.

Can it get back on track now? Or will it remain a bulletin board for endless tabloid article links about the aftermath of Lisa Marie's passing?

6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I almost missed this appearance by Austin Butler this week on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. This just about made me tear up. Austin talks about how quickly he and Lisa Marie bonded and how she took him up to Elvis's bedroom to show him her father's slippers. He also talks about the movie getting eight Oscar nominations.

Brian Mc, MRamble and Shawn like this.
  7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

There's a theater on the Graceland grounds. I imagine it will, at some point, be available to watch there at least. Another attraction for a trip to Memphis.

8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Wow, add him to the list of the few to have gone upstairs.

Shawn, RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. Price.pittsburgh

If an admin felt like going through the posts they could maybe move them to the Lisa Marie death thread. They're mainly about Priscilla and the trust not about Lisa's passing.

artfromtex likes this.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Right, like I said, the aftermath of Lisa’s passing, aka Priscilla and the trust. There is another thread about those specifics also.

Anyone jumping in for an Elvis (2022) movie discussion’s going to be quite confused. Unless it directly connects to the movie I’d say it’s time to take these side conversations over to those threads.

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I don't think it would be a good idea to get into the trust debate on the Lisa Marie R.I.P thread that I started. Forum rules would seem to discourage such a contentious debate on any R.I.P. thread. Perhaps a new thread should be started by someone to discuss this topic further.

MichaelH, Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I agree with both you gentlemen.

MichaelH and RSteven like this.
  13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

14. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

For those like me that haven't yet seen this... nice to see Sam Bell included.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That was a nice treat. Watched it when it came out on Elvis' b-day. A bit of a puff piece but considering some of the interviews involved, very nice to have.

Shawn, 80steen, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

17. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thank you. :edthumbs: I'm going to download this and enjoy it! I've been waiting for the score. Hope it's not too far off.

Chris DeVoe, MRamble and RSteven like this.
  18. 80steen

80steen John McClane

After seeing it at the cinema again twice this time around, I can't seem to get the movie out of my head. I play it as back drop and have it running when I go to bed.

WinstonOno, Shawn, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  19. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Anyone think when the B.B. King character that the don't wanna see Elvis dressed up as Some butler, that it was added as a joke of Austin's name being Butler? Not sure if this was addressed yet on here or if I saw it on another site.

WinstonOno, 905, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

That is what they call a comfort movie. The presentation and actors endear them selves to you. It starts in this case for your love of Elvis and then made stronger because of the quality. I'm the same way with it

WinstonOno, Chris DeVoe and MRamble like this.
  21. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Not sure if this has been shared here already but this is a different interview with Sam Bell where he talks not only about him and Elvis

Great post but here's a bit I wasn't aware of. Elvis and Sam's group of friends would sneak into the Lyric movie theater which was segregated. Elvis would climb over the divider that seperated the blacks from the whites and sit in the black section.
    https://youtu.be/cGoT6oc7wWo

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's wonderful, thank you so much for sharing that!

GillyT and MRamble like this.
  23. Price.pittsburgh

Just got done watching Elvis Presley The Searcher for the first time in years. Some things I picked up on that favor the accuracy of Baz' movie and one that lessens a criticism. When MLK was assassinated Elvis said exactly what he does in the movie about Dr. King always speaking the truth. In relation to the RFK assassination, no, it didn't occur during the recording of the NBC Special in late June, but it did happen during rehearsals for the show on June 6. Rehearsals had begun on June 3rd. Elvis was indeed watching it on a small TV with Steve Binder and immediately spoke about the times they were living in and how they needed to understand each other. The movie doesn't really take that much liberty in that regard by making it during recording vs rehearsals, and having Binder make a comment about the times instead of Elvis. Also, like with the This Is Elvis documentary from 1981, The Searcher also uses the opening Vegas show footage from 1970 shown in That's The Way It Is. So Baz recreating that moment isn't any worse than the two primary documentaries using that footage for the same purpose. Even the 1979 TV Kurt Russell Elvis movie leans that way by having him in white instead of the black he actually wore in 69. So the two main documentaries and other biopic that all came before Baz' film went the same way.

WinstonOno, GrahamBW, GillyT and 7 others like this.
  24. Price.pittsburgh

Regal appears to be bringing Elvis back March 3, 4 and 5. It looks like it's a Reagal thing only. At least I know Cienemark isn't doing the same

25. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

Yes, I very much agree. :)