The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

If possible, a wall mounted shelf would be the best first step.
    I then use a Auralex foam/wood isolation platform Nicely priced and very effective.

2. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

My TT sits on a heavy wood entertainment center table. I can open cabinet doors and close them without any feedback to the LP spinning on the platter. That includes even being a little careless with closing the door. I do have soft close hinges which help.

Anyway, my point is I would prefer this type solid base over mounting a shelf on the wall. That's just my experience with almost zero vibration or other noise feedback. I don't have any additional isolation platforms under the table.

[​IMG]

3. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

I can’t mount a wall shelf in my current place, though i know its ideal.

I have a cheap IKEA console currently. Going to try the isonoe feet out, and if that doesnt work I’ll try a big butchers block in walnut with some isoacoustics feet.

@Jasonbraswell setup looks great by the way!

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  4. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yes, if it wasn't for the swap-able headshell issue, I'd be very happy with my TT15.
    What kind of headshell and wires did you switch to on your Technics?

5. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Could be more cost effective/simple to just upgrade the console with a more robust build.

Maybe that's the point I was trying to state earlier.

heman__ likes this.
  6. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

I’ve read somewhere that automotive production was like a separate business. Anyway, I can’t purchase a plane yet :)

ubiknik likes this.
  7. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Nice amp (the Denon 110). When did you get it? How do you like it?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Wow, love your setup. ..Love the retro JBL's, the forward-facing record storage, and your attractive cabinet rather than an open rack with a tangle of cables going everywhere. A great example of great audio looking great.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  9. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

~18 months
    Really enjoying it.
    It's underrated power wise and sounds fantastic.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

There are a few other wire sets that are good but I usually go for these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6108-Turntable-Cartridge-Headshell/dp/B07BYFZWTL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=300TJIVEJFMQ6&keywords=audio+technica+headshell+wires&qid=1675602655&sprefix=audio+headshell+wires,aps,84&sr=8-3
    As far as a headshell the stock Technics is good for most applications, if you need a little more weight then you can use heavy brass bolts or if you are trying to keep weight down you can use lighter aluminum bolts.

If you are using a lower compliance cartridge and need some weight I've found the Zupreme 10 or 12 gram headshells to be really good, they are similar to the Jelco style and come with better wires.
    The Audio Technica headshells are really good as well.
    Both of those brands offer azimuth adjustment and the AT headshells (the better ones) are designed to align the cartridge straight in the headshell which is half the alignment task when using the Technics jig, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LH11H-Aluminum-Headshell-ATLH11H/dp/B0895KLP2C/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NUKRJ10HWPOM&keywords=audio+technica+headshell&qid=1675603179&
    sprefix=audio+technica+headshell+,aps,137&sr=8-2

There are a ton of headshells out there including wood models:
    https://www.amazon.com/Soundsmith-n...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Dignan2000 likes this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I mounted a two inch thick block of Mesquite to a support post and also added the Isonoe feet:
    [​IMG]
    The feet seal the deal as far as isolation is concerned:
    [​IMG]

My other TT gets the rigid wood table/butcher block treatment:
    [​IMG]

Ere, heman__, aunitedlemon and 2 others like this.
  12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Was just about to ask the same thing.:D:edthumbs:

It looks amazing the Denon amp, could you tell us even more about it, did you compare it to any other amplifiers? :)

13. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Love integrated amps with tone controls! ..Too much minimalist thinking these days. ..Audio is more fun w/ more buttons (controls..) :) ..If only it had a mono switch it would have been on my short list when I bought my Mac.

Andy Saunders, riverrat and BGLeduc like this.
  14. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Yeah I went with a LOMC mono cart option. It sounds better than any mono button will to me. Big reason I ended up with the G purchase from a fixed headshell table previously.

15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Your Marantz (which is a Clearaudio) deck is a fine player.
    I'd keep it with your favorite cartridge, while buying 1200GR (if budget permit having two decks)
    Once you have used a GR few days or weeks, doubt you regret.
    Soundwise the new generation Technics sound miles better than old ones.

riverrat and Seafinch like this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I couldn't help but agree with this.

17. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I find it (mono switch) handy anytime I'm listening to something that has gimmicky stereo imaging. ..Like early Beatles and other recordings of the early 60's and before. Nina Simone and Sinatra too.. Back then stereo imaging was very poorly implemented. There are early Beatles tracks with all of the vocal coming from one speaker and music from the other. Just redic. ..I much prefer hearing these tracks in simple Mono. Some of it is on vinyl, but some of it is on Tidal and my digital library.

I also use it when I'm listening to music very early in the am and wish to avoid bothering others in the house. ..I have a chair near one speaker. I hit the mono switch then mute the opposite speaker with the Balance control (also a necessity). Yes, I could use headphones but I've never gotten use to how they feel.

IMHO, a mono switch is an indispensable feature. Unfortunately, the gear companies have gaslighted us into believing it does more harm than good (it doesn't!). ..Ugh. Only a few mfgs still have them. McIntosh, Luxman, Accuphase are about the only ones I know of.

Seafinch likes this.
  18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

In a perfect world, that's what I'd do. Not sure I live in that world, but it would be great.

I really like the way the Marantz looks, more so than the Technics. Which is kind of weird, given that I'm a child of the 70s and have had 2 Technics tt's. One serious issue with that scenario is that I don't have space to have 2 turntables set up that same time with my current arrangement which has been WAF approved and unlikely to change without a formal proposal, lobbying, potential bribing or payola, thorough review, etc. And I'm not sure what I'd propose, given the space limitations.

I'm thinking a better use of funds would probably be to sell the TT15 and use the proceeds to fund a Darlington phono pre and higher end AT cart, 760 series probably.

19. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That is most certainly not a terrible idea.

mirnuj_atom and riverrat like this.
  20. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Audio Advisor have the Parasound XRM on sale, which after re-sale of my Alva Duo, would get me to more or less break even (assuming I like the Parasound and keep it). The real reason for a change is it opens up some MC loading options/gives me more flexibility with MC carts (currently limited to just a 100 ohm/60db load with the Alva Duo). Assuming the XRM fits nicely into my system, would the 33PTG/II or OC9XML be decent fits for this preamp? They seem to have the same loading options as the JC3 Jr and from everything I've seen, it should be a decent fit?

Model > Parasound Z > Zphono XRM « Parasound

21. Tsubaki Sanjuro

Tsubaki Sanjuro Forum Resident

Some home theater receivers still have one (because many classic films will send the mono audio to both L + R, so the mono setting will make it a single channel).

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  22. A mono switch is an option on the Graham Slee phono preamps.
    My Reflex M has a mono switch - it seldom gets used as I don't many mono records.
    Yesterday I played my mono Beatles Rubber Soul from 2014.

23. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Well… a few weeks with the GR in my secondary system sold me. I’ve ordered a G for the main system! Should arrive tomorrow.

24. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You are going to be very very happy.

punkmusick and Seafinch like this.
  25. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Some of y'all have better second systems than I do first (and only) systems haha.

I went ahead and bit on that Audio Advisor/Parasound XRM deal. Assuming it works at least as well as what I have now I will add one of the AT MC carts (33Sa/PTG2/OC9xML) in the ~$400 imported range. That'd put my 2023 purchases of a 1210GR, new interconnects (LC-1), AT MC cart and XRM at ~1800 out of pocket which is only slightly more than the $1500 I'd allocated for the year. Next big move will be speakers, but this is a solid foundation for years to come.