"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

Thank goodness this movie was made during the HD era of resolution for private play, whether it be Blue Ray, 4K or digital steaming. Just for kicks I put in the DVD that came with my brother's Blue Ray purchase, and I was immediately hoping that there was no one who's only seen this movie on that format. Naturally, it really shines in the cinema, but watch it on DVD and you'll greatly appreciate the other home viewing options. Now his TV is a bit older and it's a basic DVD player, but his Blue Ray disc looks fine on his Xbox. This visually gorgeous movie looks on DVD like a VHS version.

2. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thank you buddy. You inspired me to watch it again too. Ending it with If I Can Dream was a masterstroke. I dug out my copy of Steve Binder's book to read again, about the making of the 68 Comeback. Oh my...

"I was by the camera when Elvis sang my song 'If I Can Dream' and I was thinking 'God, is this as great as I think it is?' " - Earl Brown, lyrics and vocal arrangements.

[​IMG]

WinstonOno, jeremylr, 80steen and 5 others like this.
  3. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Speaking of resolution. YouTube/Google Play isn't the best option. It's better than DVD, but Vudu is right up there almost with HD disc quality. I've read that so is Amazon and Apple TV

WinstonOno and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Disappointed the Elvis soundtrack didn't win the Grammy, but it did win the American Music Award, which anymore IMO is just as good. It's been around 40 years (1973) only 15 years less than the Grammys (1958) so not even a generation younger. Elvis also beat head to head, at The American Music Awards, the Disney Soundtrack Encanto, which the Grammy went with. Similar to Austin Winning the Golden Globe, if by some terrible chance he doesn't win the Osar, The Globes have been around 79 years (1944) compared to the Oscars (1929) again only a 15 year, non - generation time length difference. If Austin doesn't win the Oscar and Brendan Fraser does, at least Austin beat him head to head for the Globes. If Colin Farrell wins the Oscar, the Globe for Austin might seem a little less significant, only because Ferrell won the Globe under the Musical or Comedy category, therefore, Austin wouldn't have beaten him head to head in either one. Then again, who knows if the Globes would have gone Farrell's way had Austin been under the Musical or Comedy category. It's still interesting to me that Jamie Foxx in Ray, who won the Oscar for that role, won the Globe under the Musical or Comedy section, as did Joaquin Phoenix for Walk The Line, and both of those films are dramatic music biopics like Elvis, but they placed Austin under Drama.

5. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Even if the various award shows are only considering the CD Elvis track list and not the much longer streaming version, It's an amazing album with the movie's ambiance to it. It has great remixes, cover versions and original songs. Having two young nephews I'm well aware of the Encanto soundtrack. It's your run of the mill Disney sounding music, although everyone claims it's not. It incorporates various genres and less common instruments from multiple cultures, but the arrangements and vocals just come off as Disney. The Elvis soundtrack is a work of real art. It's great theme music. The American Music Awards deserve all the props possible for selecting Elvis over Encanto

6. WinstonOno

Regardless of the Encanto viral success, how many fans of it will be streaming it in a few years from now? The Elvis soundtrack will be enjoyed by Elvis fans for years to come. Masterpiece

7. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Is it not possible for Elvis fans to celebrate the success of competitors? Why must it seemingly so often be a "only Elvis deserves, all the rest is nowhere near as deserving" gig, and then when the Elvis product fails to win, crapping on the competition only ramps up?

Encanto is more than deserving of its win, the songs have been resonating with families since the movie came out. Further, it's all original material. As interesting and creative as the Elvis soundtrack is, comparatively speaking it offers very little in original compelling songwriting.

MichaelH likes this.
  8. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Well the title of the Grammy category is Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media. That makes it sound as if it would have done just as well had it just been all Elvis masters. Original songs doesn't sound like a specific critera. Regardless, Elvis is a biopic about Elvis who was a music artist, so it can't help but not have much original material. Still, as you said, the songs are creative and interesting, making them original in their remixes, takes on cover versions, as well as actual original songs. I wasn't crapping on the competition, I was pointing out that I felt the Encanto soundtrack was just a Disney sounding presentation. My family, as I stated with my nephews, has enjoyed it as well. Both the Grammys and AMAs have weird qualifying periods for music anyway, Sept to Sept. If they were like the Oscars or Globes, These two soundtracks would have never faced off. The Emmys I get being Spring to Spring because of the way seasons for shows typically run for their seasons. Those of us that want Elvis to win whatever it can is because we're Elvis fans. Any win for the movie or music brings more focus to him.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  9. Price.pittsburgh

I'm pretty sure in an era where streaming is primary, they consider that version.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    WinstonOno and 80steen like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Anyone think they should have left in the line from the trailer where Parker says "Elvis the man was sacrificed and Elvis the god was born"

willy, WinstonOno, Aldecoa and 2 others like this.
  11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Yeah I like that line

artfromtex and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It was a great line, but I think Elvis would not have liked that line, being an avid believer in a higher power than himself.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  13. Price.pittsburgh

True, but it was from Parker's perspective and also how he was viewed by the masses.

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  14. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Indeed. In fact, there are some instances where he'd hear someone calling him The King, and he would reply, "No, not me. There is only one King."

905 and RSteven like this.
  15. 80steen

80steen John McClane

True but similar to what the user a couple of posts above said, the god line would have been from Parker's perspective, not something Elvis would be embracing. I'm all good with Elvis not wanting to be called a king but he dressed like one in the 70s onstage, and the opening buildup of Also sprach Zarathystra for his 70s concerts certainly sounded like the into for a king

16. 80steen

80steen John McClane

The thing about this amazing movie that keeps bringing me back, is the eeriness, profoundness and somber mood it adds to the story with the music. This is where Baz's decision to use Parker as a focal point was brilliant. Without showcasing The Colonel as a villain, and Elvis the victim, he wouldn't have been able to create such an atmosphere, without having to focus only on the typical relationship heartbreak and drug abuse of superstars. The song choices at key moments are perfect. The bridge of Suspicious Minds to open the film, Cotton Candy Land played as the Colonel is introduced, then at the carnival as he's about to "Snow" Elvis. Also, the operatic version of it when they show the Vegas scenery. The Bluesy That's All Right and Gospel I'll Fly Away playing as Elvis goes from one form of childhood music to another. The Craw-Fever mix of Crawfish and Fever, with Fever played when he hooks up with the lady at the motel, representing things changing drastically on the road due to him being lonely, and the Crawfish section slowed down when discussing the seriousness of the draft. Edge of reality when MLK is shot. Summer Kisses, Winter Tears at the end of the initial credits, a newer version of Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child for the 68 Special as Elvis looks on. In The Ghetto at the start of the end credits and made stronger with his reading from Hank Williams Men with Broken Hearts. An American Trilogy as Elvis is about to be injected. The Elvis montage over Unchained Melody, and Baz even manages to make the start of Elvis and Priscila's relationship seem profound, by playing Kacey Musgrave's version of Can't Help Falling in Love when they're by the window, and even slowing down Elvis's version when Priscilla first pulls up. Even the cover of If I Can Dream later on in the credits sounds perfect. I think Heartbreak Hotel could have been more prominent due to its theme. Some other songs, along this line, that could have been remixed or played in their original format, that I think could have fit in perfectly as well would have been Elvis's version of Blue Moon, Tomorrow Night, I Want to Be Free, Love Me, Starting Today, Soldier Boy, It Hurts Me, Beyond the Reef, Tomorrow is a Long Time, I'll Remember You, The Fair Is Moving On, Do You Know Who I Am, And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind, Without Love, Mama Liked The Roses, Just Pretend, It's Still Here, Early Morning Rain, It's Midnight, Separate Ways, Always on My Mind Hurt, Pledging My Love, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Green, Green Grass of Home and a live version of How Great Thou Art.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Shawn, raveoned, Chris DeVoe and 4 others like this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I know he generally said that type of thing in reference to Jesus/God, but didn't he also once say it in reference to Fats Domino, whom he spotted in a crowd?

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Elvis’ Win Big at Advanced Imaging Society Awards

Elvis won Lumiere awards for best musical film and best scene (Elvis’ first Las Vegas performance). Additionally, Luhrmann accepted the Harold Lloyd Award, presented by Austin Butler and Suzanne Lloyd, chairman of Harold Lloyd Entertainment. Butler noted that with Elvis, Luhrmann “sets out to create a cultural event [and] a sensory experience” with music, bold visuals and strong storytelling.

“Who would have thought Harold Lloyd invented the wiggle,” Luhrmann quipped, with a nod to Lloyd’s classic Safety Last. He talked about the elements that came together for Elvis, from Butler’s performance to innovation from his team, including Oscar-nominated DP Mandy Walker. “Technical innovation allows us to amplify the stories.”

Shawn likes this.
  19. WinstonOno

Wow :laugh: you certainly put a lot of thought into that list of other songs. Those are good choices that would have added to the vibe had there been enough time. Especially Blue Moon, Tomorrow Night, Soldier Boy, Tomorrow is a Long Time and Mama Liked the Roses

Shawn, 80steen, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

There's Always Me. They got a lot of people streaming it because of the Apple FaceTime commercial from a few years ago. Anyway it has a good style for the movie too.

RSteven and 80steen like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - I strongly disagree. Nighy was amazing in "Living".

22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

He said he was excellent

Shawn and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thought my disagreement was clear in that I meant Nighy >>> Butler. Figured people would work that out on their own. :shrug:

24. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I knew what you meant about preferring Nighy over Butler when you said you strongly disagreed. When you added that Nighy was amazing it sounded as if you didn't see that he was in agreement with you on that. Especially since he had two different paragraphs with his compliment for Nighy being further up

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  25. Price.pittsburgh

There are plenty people who weren't Elvis fans before Austin's performance who are now, who think he deserves the Oscar, and many pre movie casual fans who feel the same. And yes, us avid Elvis fans, want him to win because he's portraying our idol and because it brings more praise to the actual Elvis, but neither of those are the primary reason. The real reason we feel so strongly is because we know more than the others just how phenomenal he did with so many little things that go over the other's heads. Things we hope the voters will have picked up on if they did any investigating.

Shawn, Aldecoa, Chris DeVoe and 2 others like this.