Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Not only that but I love their sound. More expensive and so-called better performers will not guarantee me the same thing. So far, I cannot fault them. There is nothing about them that nags me, unlike the Denton 85, which I keep trying to change (the sound signature, that is).

Joshua Tree, egar, Toneh and 4 others like this.
  2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

If you want 3D - you have to go tubes and the best 3d i had was a Zen - 5 watt amp thru Klipsch speakers ....BUT it lacked bass and slam that i get thru the Linton's with a bigger amp. A lot of things are a trade off.

ChrisR2060 and Rick58 like this.
  3. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

A higher watt tube amp with KT120s or KT150s could get the Klipsch or Lintons there no problem. Primaluna, Rogue, etc.

ChrisR2060 and Rick58 like this.
  4. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I'll bet it does! I was all lined up to demo your amps little brother (the 700 Mk2) a while back but various supply chain delays conspired to prevent that from happening... pity. I had a strong hunch they'd be a good match.

I hear that. Particularly the recognition that it'll take a bit of expense to make a meaningful upgrade. At the moment - thanks for nothing @mreeter :laugh: - I've developed a bit of a crush on those Atalante 5's since finding out about them yesterday... checking out sound clips on YouTube thinking about seeking them out in person. But I'm in the same position as you are, which is to say satisfied - which is quite rare for me. A few minutes into the average listening session with these Linton's I'll typically be more absorbed in what's playing than entertaining any nagging "need" to upgrade.

Rick58, DancingSea and mreeter like this.
  5. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

There's one thing I would do immediately and that is throw away those cheap looking wooden bars through the window. What a bad idea!

[​IMG]

egar likes this.
  6. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

has anyone used a Schitt Lokius or Loki Mini+ with their Lintons ? Although the Lintons are non-fatiguing and allow for long term
    listening, sometimes i would like the ability to tame the treble just a hair at times. I could use tone controls on my Bluesound Node
    but that would mean disconnecting the USB to my amp’s internal DAC which i prefer NOT to do…connecting via USB to my amp gives me the highest bitstream rate.

Rick58 likes this.
  7. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

While not with the Linton, I did audition the original Loki EQ. I found it to lower the overall quality of music. I don’t know how the subsequent iterations sound.

I have since bought the Decware ZRock2 which is utterly fantastic. A very novel approach to an EQ and something beyond. It turns every recording into a reel to reel.

Rick58 and mreeter like this.
  8. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I tried the Lokius with a different pair speakers as well. When hooking it up 'after' the Preamp and then switching between Inputs on the Pre, I would get a nasty POP. Moved the device to between the DAC and Preamp and just utilized it there. The other Input was for the TT, which didn't need any help with the EQ.

But, as DancingSea stated, I felt the EC was putting a damper on the overall presentation. I sold it previous to trying the Linton's. The Decware piece looks interesting thou...

Rick58 and DancingSea like this.
  9. DancingSea

10. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

pops are what worry me…i’m uncomfortable inserting a device between my amp and preamp..

Rick58 and mreeter like this.
  11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

My Amps at the time were Quicksilver Mono120's, they had POWER. After the first pop, the Lokius immediately came out of that position, I had read another review where the user had the same issue (of course after I bought it) :rolleyes:

If someone wanting to EC multiple sources ahead of a Preamp, I would look elsewhere.

12. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Anybody running the Lintons with a McIntosh MC275? Would love to hear your review/thoughts.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bet that’d be a great pairing. I haven’t heard it tho.

14. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

That’s my dream pairing I think, without having much experience with the MC275, I’ve always lusted over it. I going to buy one in the next couple of years but was hoping to hear from somebody who is already running it.

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

Have a basic throw-away ethernet cable between my modem and router upstairs. My speakers are downstairs and streamer is fed off another router with mid tier Wireworld Starlight ethernet cable. Wanted to get something reasonable to replace the junk cable upstairs, so wasn't going to spend much...but came across a used Wireworld Platinum at a very reasonable price, so what the heck. Ended up connecting at my streamer and the improvement I heard through these speakers is shocking, at least based on my expectations. How do $1500 speakers scale like that?

AC1 likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's the old garbage in garbage out rule. My guess that cheap cable wasn't up to handling music data. Do you know what CAT rating each of those cables are? Fairly cheap speakers properly designed can be very capable. Best to start with source then amplification. Many people make the mistake of buying expensive speakers that just reveal the shortcomings of what's upstream. I'm reminded of a UK recommendation in the flat earth days which consisted of Linn LP12, NAD or Creek amp and Videotone Minimax speakers. Really cheap models that in those days were made behind the Iron Curtain. Way of the cash strapped affording an LP12 sourced system.

Merkinman likes this.
  17. Merkinman

I didn’t replace the cheap cable but instead swapped in the Platinum where the Wireworld Starlight was. Haven’t even messed with the basic cable at the modem. That’s why I’m so surprised. Will try the latter too but suspect the bigger impact is from router to streamer.

18. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the Lintons on Elysian stands? Just wondering how they might look together. I prefer the look of the Elysian stands on their own:
    [​IMG]

Just Outlaw likes this.
  19. DancingSea

I prefer the look with speakers on them. But I’m eccentric :rolleyes:

Classicrock, MC Rag and G B Kuipers like this.
  20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The look of the Elyian stands might be too hi-tech for a simple BBC monitor. Some will find the Elysian 2 on Linton stands a mismatch as well.

[​IMG]

bgiliberti, bever70, MC Rag and 2 others like this.
  21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'm just wondering if the Lintons would look a little less boxy on the rounded tubing of the Elysian stands. I think It'd need to be Elysian 1 stands as the Elysian 2 stands are too deep.

bgiliberti likes this.
  22. Merkinman

I actually prefer the look of the Elysian with the Linton stands.

MC Rag likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suspect you need the dedicated stands to get the best out of the Elysian otherwise they may not deliver on their much higher cost. Why cheap out on Linton stands anyway at that price level?

24. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

A valid visual comparison would require equal numbers of LPs on both. The almost empty area below the speaker on the right makes the installation appear top-heavy/unstable, which is disturbing to the eye.

ChrisR2060 and Vegking like this.
  25. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Anyone familiar with Steve Hillage? Yesterday evening, I streamed his 'Green' album from Amazon Music, and it never sounded as good as on the Lintons. It has been 22 months since I bought these speakers and they still surprise me.

[​IMG]