Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

I haven’t read any post - just saw this thread title - so it may have already been mentioned, but my immediate reaction was: making too many of those super hero movies. Soooooooo boring!

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Another thought on the police procedural shows. Every time the police approach a house or apartment to apprehend a suspect on the run, the suspect runs out a back door or jumps from a window and runs. Sometimes they get away, sometimes the cops chase them down and catch them. Either way, why wouldn't the police have officers already in place at all possible egress areas before they start bashing in the front door?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  3. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

The TV show The Wire kind of opened my eyes to this reality: being a policeman is a job. And like other jobs, if it starts to suck you can just quit and do something different to pay the bills. In Hollywood the only way someone leaves the police force is by getting fired in disgrace. No cop in a movie ever says, "You know what? I quit. I'm going to drive a cab now, it's way less stressful."

Now that I think about it, priests are over-romanticized too. In Hollywood the only way someone leaves the priesthood is by being defrocked. No priest in a movie ever says, "You know what? This isn't working out for me. I'm going to get married and have kids now."

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How can he be KING Kong and not have a d*ck?

CDFanatic likes this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

Irish accents.

FramboGND likes this.
  6. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

...but I don't think the writers of tv shows/movies ever felt compelled to include the " no parking spot so drive around the block 3 or 4 times until one appears"... it might plod down the plot :shh:..although if you remember the old Odd Couple episode where the guys get a car and the whole episode revolves around finding a parking space,even taking turns to wake up at 5:00 am to move the car:laugh::righton:

64FALCON likes this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Agreed. But it's still a hunk of un-reality.

8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

After a formal event, men go home and leave their undone bowties draped around their neck for an hour or two.

unclefred likes this.
  9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Their portrayal of people with prosthetic hands. They always seem to have a wrist even though they have a hook or whatever for their hand.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

What a funny and true observation!

KevinP likes this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I never get these films where a man is held captive or something and manages to still have perfect or no facial hair. Maximus spends the majority of Gladiator in captivity, yet maintains a perfectly trimmed and kept beard the entire time.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I love that kind of lore. Making a character a cop has a lot of emotional angles to work from. It’s a very difficult and interesting occupation. Same with Private Detective. If either were anything like reality, it wouldn’t be a very exciting movie to watch.

I love the hardened cop character. Like James Woods in The Hard Way or Michael Douglas in Black Rain. They’re compelling.

13. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

or Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun

Spaghettiows likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I haven’t read this thread. But: (1) making progressively worse sequels of a popular movie; (2) making movies which have formulaic entirely predictable plots/storylines; (3) making movies as propaganda over all time periods which force a viewpoint;(4) favoring actors/actresses for reasons having nothing to do with acting ability.

Boom Operator likes this.
  15. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Filming in colour.

Ghostworld and Daedalus like this.
  16. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:mad: :tsk:

18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

As true today as it was on 4 September 2016.

19. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I remember Craig Ferguson saying during his time on the Drew Carey Show that enough English actors have done Scottish accents so now he's repaying the favour. The unfortunate part of it is that a large portion of the audience wouldn't have noticed if he just stuck to his native Glaswegian accent.

20. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Why do I find it hard to write the next line?

21. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

In Hollywood movies a transfer of money "online" works as a set of one-by-one transactions. So 10 million will take more time than 10 thousand. They even show you "transfer progress".

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I've been involved in the transfer of almost 10 million dollars, and it was instantaneous.

23. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

1. Taking itself way too seriously.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've been told by bow tie wearers that being able to undo it, and leave it draped around your neck, is one of the major advantages of wearing one.

You have a regular necktie undone and draped around your neck, you look like a slob.

Undo a black bow tie, and you look like a member of the Rat Pack.

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This does not belong here, but it is NOT a threadcrap...

Things PEOPLE get WRONG about Hollywood:

Saying "I'm gonna go DEFCON 5 on them!" meaning total nuclear war/going ballistic, when in fact in the film WarGames (which folks are likely referencing), DEFCON 5 is very low or total absence of threat. DEFCON 1 is total annihilation.

John3655 and Chris DeVoe like this.