Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Merkinman

Merkinman Well-Known Member

Will have to check it out. What amp are you using with the Lintons?

2. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Denon PMA-2000 IVR ... all 24 kilos of it! (photos internet)

[​IMG]

3. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip - I'm not familiar with it, I'll have to check that out. On the topic of recordings that - to me anyway - sound bloody amazing on my Linton's, may I submit "Let Go (Instrumentals)" by Tytingvåg Ensemble.
    Be warned - it's a slightly odd sort of jazz/polka mash-up in places... I know, I know... I'm a odd sorta guy haha, but the recording and mastering is just incredible and totally plays to the Linton's strengths.

[​IMG]

4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

The Lintons reproduce jazz piano very nicely. I am listening to some Solo Monk and it’s absolutely lovely.

5. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I listened to this yesterday on Amazon Music. Sounds good on the Lintons (and probably every other speaker ever made). I did miss some depth and room in this otherwise pristine recording. All the instruments are at the same (close) distance from the mic. Saved as a favorite.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Toneh likes this.
  6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

BillEvans Explorations sounds really nice to me on my Lintons.

Piano, drums and bass - like all 3 are in the room.

33na3rd, ChrisR2060 and James Bennett like this.
  7. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I will check that out tonight!

ChrisR2060 and alanb like this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It's rather fitting that a thread about a musical speaker like the Linton ends up being about music! I think that says a lot.

Rick58, Toneh, mreeter and 5 others like this.
  9. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Anyone listen as close as 6 feet to their Lintons?

33na3rd likes this.
  10. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

yesterday, i briefly considered trying the KLH model 5s, but am too concerned about that aluminum tweeter…saw Zero Fidelity’s very positive
    review and even GR Research’s comments on parts quality. Almost all reviews caution about the occasionally hot top end, but what sealed its fate for me was the “no contest” comparison between Lintons and 5s regarding using them in a home theatre applications. A very stark
    contrast in favor of the Lintons. I do miss that… The search continues….

Nielsoe likes this.
  11. Merkinman

Don't recall if you returned the Linton, but I assume you are looking for more detail and refinement? I would wait for the Dovedale. From what I recall, Sean also mentioned that KLH 5s sometimes sounded like they were close to the floor and were not capable of aurally disappearing. That was a dealbreaker for me.

33na3rd likes this.
  12. Vegking

Vegking Well-Known Member

Andrew Robinson loved the KLH Model 5s, but after getting the Lintons in he concluded the Model 5s had a sharper treble, not as friendly with as many recording as the Lintons. I considered the Model 5s at one point, but since I have tinnitus, I'm sensitive to more aggressive top ends, and after watching the Robsinson review, it helped tip my decision to try the Lintons.

13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Who did the review with the "no contest" comparison concerning home theater?

14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Arendal 1723 Tower THX maybe? Not exactly pretty (so home theater-ish) but everyone is impressed with the sound.

[​IMG]

DancingSea likes this.
  15. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

Nielsoe likes this.
  16. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

the other issue i have is placement…i need a speaker with about 3ft from the back wall…the KLHs perform best from 6-24 inches…

Just Outlaw likes this.
  17. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

no way i would pay Dovedale prices unless they have seriously upgraded drivers/tweeter & crossover….

Nielsoe and Toneh like this.
  18. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I’m at not quite 7 feet. I’ve tried longer distances but I have a fairly narrow room so the speakers are only about 6 feet apart and this arrangement sounds best.

Emergency Whiskey likes this.
  19. Merkinman

I would assume they would otherwise what’s the point.

Toneh likes this.
  20. alanb

alanb Senior Member

I am about 7 or 8 feet away, but when i listened to them at the HiFi store i was close to the, 2 - 3 feet and that's what convinced me to buy them within about a minute - the detail was amazing and the great sound too. So if you are 6 feet it will be fine, just not to loud i guess.

Toneh and Swordsandchains like this.
  21. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

i only question this because in Peter Comeau’s introduction video of the Aston he mentioned how hard he worked on the speaker
    designing an all new bass/midrange driver marrying over to the “classic” Linton tweeter…will be interesting to see the final results.

and i said a “serious” upgrade, not just a bigger box with drivers of same quality… British
    assembly instead of Chinese…

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Toneh likes this.
  22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

just busted out tape measure as i listen, and im about 8 ft away, ive been closer and its a little too close for me

Dafox and Toneh like this.
  23. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Normally speaking, with a 3-way design, you need a bit of distance for the sound to come together. 3 meters away from the speakers will sound better than 2 meters (nearfield).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  24. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Well, you can always order a new pair of Lintons? Not too late... :winkgrin:

I know you probably don't want to hear it... and trust me - I don't want to say it either (I find it annoying on behalf of the member getting unsolicited, prescriptive advice from another member to alter parts of their system they don't want to) but as much as you love your 240i the Linton's are deceptively current hungry speakers - most speakers anywhere near this price point are in various ways. You might have a different experience of them than the one you had with more power on tap? In other words - avoid needless expenditure on pricier speakers, trade up on amp. A 340i ought to drive the snot out of a pair?

But I know - money doesn't grow on trees and we like what we like. And as I said - I never want to be "that guy" giving opinions no-one asked for.

I agree btw... "serious" upgrade or it's little more than a cynical cash-grab. And even then, at some of those rumored prices...

Just about the same for me... I'm sitting at 2.5m away or 8'2" in American money.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  25. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Nice :righton:

I think what I was drawn to was the tone and textures of all those acoustic instruments... that's what I meant when I mentioned the recording playing right to the Linton's strengths.
    For a change of pace, some electronic pop. Try "Differently" off the album Unusual by Marian Hill. See how that grabs you?

[​IMG]

Emergency Whiskey and AC1 like this.