Rotel CD11 Tribute Disc Reading Difficulties

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I knew I couldn't be the only one...

Sorry man that blows

meanwhile my marantz Cd5000 plays anyhting under the sun no skips super fast loading.

Oh yeah its from 19 freaking 99 too. No signs of slowing down.

the real sad part for me is I sold a CD6007 to get the Rotel... big mistake

One more thing. They put a giant sticky gross sticker on my clean cd player. It left a mark you can see it under certain light. I hope they would not do this to a McIntosh face. I would loose my mind for sure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Rushboy likes this.
  2. moops

moops Senior Member

I got problems again, same player as before, same error. If I can get it repaired again under warranty, I severing my ties with the CD11 Tribute. Annoyed. :mad:

Rushboy likes this.
  3. Rushboy

Rushboy Active Member

Never again Rotel, very unreliable.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Sure enough, I get home and all other discs are loading without issue, just problems with the same one disc as last night. I should have tried more discs before jumping the gun, but the disc giving me issues is new, no marks or anything. Weird.

:shrug:

5. Gizmo90

Mine will go in streaks of being fine. Then a perfectly clean normal disc will kind of set it off. I do know its getting more frequent. I'm just going to move on with my life lol. Saving up for a DAC.

Also sorry everyone for my tone in previous posts I'm just really frustrated at this point. Going down to my living room to put a CD in will either lead to a great evening or a headache unplugging and plugging back in the CD player...

6. moops

moops Senior Member

It is frustrating ……. I possibly jumped the gun, as I played discs all last night and am still playing them now and multiple discs have loaded without issue. I haven’t tried the disc in question again yet, though I have a second player for that experiment.

The error I just had was - I place the disc in the tray and close it, the disc just spins with “loading” on the display, then “error” appears and the player ejects the disc. So I turned it off, unplugged the power cord from the unit ( not sure if that does anything really, but I’m running with it :laugh: ). It sat overnight, and then next day re-connected …….. and it’s been fine ever since ? Maybe, if it strikes a problem disc for whatever reason …. it’s like it needs a reset ?

I would have loaded 20 discs since powering back on and no drama, working like a proper CD player should. :edthumbs:

Gizmo90 likes this.
  7. tonymichaels

tonymichaels Well-Known Member

I had a Rotel 1075 integrated that the volume would increase on it's own, I got a replacement and that one would go into safety mode when I touched it I think it might have been related to static electricity?? who knows, never the less I never experienced anything like this in all my years. No more Rotel for me either!

Gizmo90 and Rushboy like this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

So an update ……

After two solid days of loading and playing many discs with no issues, I decided to again try the original disc that gave me the error …….. and it loaded and played perfectly. We like that. :righton:

All I can put it down to is leading up to the “error” message, I had been putting the disc in the tray and just hitting “play”, which closes the drawer and goes straight from “loading” to “play”. I’m guessing that maybe this process caused the Tribute’s brain to say …. Hang on, you’re asking me to do too many things at once, I like going through each process separately.

So after awhile, it threw back an error.

I normally don’t use it that way, I wait until it loads the disc completely first, then hit play. Just me being impatient I guess, but I think the Tribute and I have come to an understanding. It doesn’t like to be rushed.

Anyway, that’s it ……. Happy families once again. :)

MikeJedi and Cherrycherry like this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

My best friend bought one a few months ago against my advice. He tells me now that it repeats the last song every time and what can be done? I suggested he get it fixed under warranty. He said he should have listened to me.

Knowing him he'll throw it away and buy the one I told him to.

Gizmo90 and moops like this.
  10. moops

moops Senior Member

Knowing what I know now, I would definitely buy something else …… and I bought two of them !

I’ve only had issues with one of them though and as I’ve said before, when working as they should, they are a fantastic player.
    But you shouldn’t have to deal with the unpredictability.

A real shame, for at the time Rotel’s promotion of the player touting Ken Ishiwata’s design tweaks, really could have marked it as something special as far as lower priced players go, but the random glitchiness some buyers have experienced has set it back unfortunately.

If Rotel have become aware of any of this, not real sure they have anyone else to point the finger at.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  11. Gizmo90

You know I had luck all weekend! I took the batteries out of the remote and just use the buttons on the face. "Eject" to open "Eject" to close. Once loaded I hit "Play" and it plays even the problematic discs that always made the tribute throw an error no matter what. If the disc isn't over I hit "Stop" twice before I hit "Eject".

In my mind I was attributing it to the remote....
    I am curious do you use the remote?

I can totally live with it this way. Still I feel like they should have found this issue and fixed it as it seems the issue it made its way into the Cd14mkii as well.

12. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

How is it that high-end audio gear is struggling to perform the most basic tasks one would expect from a CD player purchased for $10 from Goodwill? I know it sounds great and all, but that should be considered only after standard performance tasks are perfect.

13. moops

moops Senior Member

I use a mixture of both, remote and buttons on the unit. For my issue, I don’t see any connection related to using the remote or the buttons on the front. I put my error down to asking it to do too much all at once. Basic functions they may be ….. load, read, play ……. But I just let each step happen as they happen an I’ve had no issues since.

Although I do think disconnecting the unit from its power source helped, kind of reset it. :shrug:

Anyway, it worked.

MikeJedi likes this.
  14. Gizmo90

Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I'll live with this player, but naw never getting Rotel again or using Music Driect.

The worst part is how they call you a liar. Customer is always right is just something people say on TV.

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Following up on my previous post. I had my friend disable the auto off feature, but that didn't fix the last song repeat problem. The next day had him turn off the power with the power button on the player. That night he turned it back on with the power button and that fixed the last song repeat problem. He is going to leave the player powered up all the time now.

Cherrycherry likes this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I guess I should feel lucky that I’ve had
    mine for almost 2 years and have no issues with my CD11 Tribute knock on wood. …

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  17. tonymichaels

I decided to go out of my budget as we do this hobby for pleasure not aggravation. For $300 more I got a good deal on a Musical Fidelity m2 CD and could not be happier. This unit is built like a tank and operates flawlessly.

Gizmo90 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  18. Benfica

Benfica Well-Known Member

What issue did you have with the CD 11?

19. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

I've had a Rotel cd11 tribute for about 6 months it only misbehaved twice which I can forgive.
    Once I turned it on from cold put a disc in and pressed play all quite rapidly and it played muzzily like it was missing bits for about 5 seconds before clearing up.
    The other time wasn't a problem really but i pressed eject the disc ejected and I had it in my hand, the music was still playing for a few seconds! Either some buffering going on or I'm loosing it.
    Wish the buttons were bigger what ever happened to ergonomics and having big slab buttons.
    Great sound so forgiven.

tonymichaels likes this.
  20. tonymichaels

I had a Rotel 1075 that would get louder by itself, when it first started i also thought I was loosing it.

21. Gizmo90

Mine is acting up again. Perfect timing...Happy Friday!

I still don't skip tracks just put the disc in close and play.

I am thinking of chucking this thing out the window. I'm looking for a DAC now...

Any DACs that are similar in tone to this player?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  22. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

@Gizmo90 , what version firmware do you have? I see on the web site that it's at v1.01 but the one I have, bought very recently and so far trouble free is at v1.02.

23. Gizmo90

1.01. I wish they updated my firmware when I sent it in for repair...

24. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Ifi use the same make, Texas instruments DACs.

25. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

Since technically the firmware is user updatable via a computer, maybe it's worth reaching out to support to see if they can make it available to you? You have nothing to lose at this point...