The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I saw the 3D re-release of Titanic last night. Between that, Avatar: The Way of Water, and the re-release of the original Avatar last September, my last three times at the theater were all 3D James Cameron movies. I was not specifically intending for it to play out that way but here we are.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Elvis was totally worth seeing in the theater.

3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I heard a lot of good things about the movie. I’m not a big fan of the director but his movies are certainly more suited to the big screen.

longdist01, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

'The Great Silence' (1968) - excellent Western, albeit very bleak. Landscapes looked great on the big screen. You could practically feel the cold.

longdist01 and 64FALCON like this.
  5. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

I'm watching the Reconstructing The Beatles series.

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Fortunately our theaters are open to late tonight. But I decided to catch a matinee of M3GAN.

Thought it was well done. Good to see movies that move right along and have a reasonable length!

longdist01, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Is that in the theaters?

8. Chris DeVoe

Is that in the theaters?

This thread is devoted entirely to movies that we can see in the theater. If you saw it at home, there are other threads for that purpose.

9. Chris DeVoe

It was astonishing looking, especially when seen in Dolby Digital.

10. harmonica98

One off screening but yes, it was at the cinema. I assume repertory screenings are suitable for this thread - or is it just for pictures on general release?

11. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

THE GREAT SILENCE sounds interesting. I've never heard of it and I take a small amount of pride on knowing my "'60s movies" so it's a new one to investigate!

12. Chris DeVoe

Absolutely! Sorry I didn't answer earlier.

Yesterday's films were Knock At The Cabin and Magic Mike's Last Dance.

Neither were particularly compelling, other than a good performance by Dave Bautista in Knock At The Cabin. It was better than M. Night Shyamalan's last film, although that's not a very high bar. A gay couple and their young daughter are confronted by four horsemen of the Apocalypse, four average people who tell them that they have to willingly sacrifice one of the three of them to save the world.

Magic Mike's Last Dance was a lot better, but still nothing special. It was worth seeing in Dolby Cinema though, because it really was quite beautiful looking, and featuring some really astonishing dancers.

13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I wasn't a big fan of Baz Luhrmann's previous movies either, but Elvis is now one of my top five films of all time. In fact, I had only seen one Baz movie before Elvis, his remake of The Great Gatsby, which I found somewhat disappointing compared to the earlier one with Robert Redford in the lead role. I plan to seen it again, since I so appreciate what Baz did with his masterpiece on Elvis.

Mandy Walker is only the third woman ever to be nominated by the Oscars for her truly stupendous work as cinematographer on the Elvis movie. She could end up being the very first woman to ever win this award, which she so richly deserves. I say this as the son of a father who was once both a cameraman and a television director.

14. Chris DeVoe

I consider The Great Gatsby his weakest film, although I need to see it again, and Elvis his most commercially and artistically successful one.

After that, I'd have to rank Moulin Rouge, although it is very divisive film (Baz said that he designed the film to be especially frenetic in the first 15 minutes, to weed out people who wouldn't find his style acceptable) and after that, Romeo and Juliet.

A lot of people might find the idea of placing Romeo and Juliet in a modern context ridiculous, but I heard a wonderful interview with a Shakespeare scholar who praised it as his favorite production, saying the actors spoke Shakespeare's lines especially well.

I hope she has, she richly deserves it.

longdist01, RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I haven’t seen The Great Gatsby, mainly because I hated the one with Robert Redford so much. I think I just didn’t like the story.

However, I have seen Moulin Rouge, Australia, and Romeo and Juliet. I loved the first two, and thought Romeo and Juliet was quite interesting and worth seeing. I haven’t seen any of these films since they were first released in theaters, but my memory is that Moulin Rouge was the most similar in style to Elvis. In fact, that’s the style I was expecting when I saw Elvis, and I think I pretty much got that.

Unrelated, but I will probably see the rerelease of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the next few days. I loved that film when I saw it when it was first released!

longdist01, Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is right at the top of our list.

I haven't seen a trailer for this one yet, but based on what I know of the story of Casablanca records, this could be outrageous:

[​IMG]

longdist01, brownie61 and RSteven like this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Left Behind: Rise of the Antichrist

MichaelH likes this.
  18. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

On our first date 25 years ago, the wife and I watched Titanic in a Japanese theater. We saw it again yesterday in 3D to recreate the moment. It was fun. The first time we had been to the movies in a long while.

19. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

As mentioned a few days ago, I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon today. I last saw it when it was released 22 years ago, and I enjoyed it as much today as I did then. A friend asked me to wait and watch it on Amazon with her, but I turned her down. I can’t even imagine watching this on a TV, even if it’s a great TV. This is the rare film that truly does need to be seen on a big screen. It is amazing in every way. I talked a little more about it in the Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched thread.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

All of the episodes are being screened this month at a local cinema.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Ant-man and the Wasp: Quantumania. It was fun.

22. Chris DeVoe

The 4K presentation was amazing, especially the fight in the bamboo.

longdist01 and brownie61 like this.
  23. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania

I saw this on Saturday with my kids. We all enjoyed it very much.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

The last film I saw in a cinema was Wonder Woman in 2017. I've seen plenty of films since then, but only at home—I haven't set foot in a public theater since 2017 as I got tired of being distracted by the light from people's cellphones in the darkened auditoriums.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. harmonica98

'Broker' (2022) - new one from Kore-eda ('Shoplifters'). Didn't think this one nearly as good, though I'd be hard pressed to say why. Worth a watch though.

wolfram, normanr and Chris DeVoe like this.