Games of Chess in the Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AppleBonker, Feb 20, 2023.

1. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering the other day how many movies feature the game of chess in some way? Who was playing it? What were the stakes? How did the movie use the game -- to show power dynamics? To demonstrate how brilliant a character is? Or just for fun?

Bonus points if the game is odd in some ways -- a futuristic variation, or the pieces are large or unusual, etc.

I'll start with perhaps the most famous chess match in cinema history. The knight takes on Death in Bergman's The Seventh Seal. Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) has just returned from the Crusades to discover his country ravaged by the plague and famine. The Grim Reaper has now come to take him away as well before he can see his wife and family. The stakes: if he beats Death in a game of chess, he lives; if not, he dies.

[​IMG]

No spoilers, watch the film to see who wins! But I will say that Death did a better job against the knight than he would when playing Twister against Bill and Ted a few decades later!

2. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Fresh is interesting because it’s about a young boy who learns how to control his life through understanding the game. He’s playing against everyone in his life. Stewart Copeland score as well. [​IMG]

AppleBonker likes this.
  3. I have seen many movies with some sort of chess game being played, but this one is what immediately sprung to mind.
    [​IMG]
    Dejarik, or Holochess, being played aboard the Millenium Falcon....oh, and let the Wookie win if you want to keep your arms.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

5. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Blade Runner - JF Sebastian (with some help from Roy Batty) sacrifices his queen for the win against Tyrell.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. A friendly game of chess between the new Sherriff and Jim, "The Waco Kid" in Blazing Saddles.
    This game is a vehicle to give us some one liners, as well as an introduction for two major characters of the movie.

7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The Search for Bobby Fischer:

The kid playing speed chess with Laurence Fishburne in a park in New York City is a great scene involving chess.

2001: A Space Odyssey:

HAL playing chess with Frank.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Brainwashed' a 1960 movie starring Curt Jurgens as a prisoner in solitary confinement who manages to steal a book only to fond out it's about chess.
    It's all he has to keep his sanity though.

AppleBonker likes this.
  9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The 60s James Bond knockoff Deadlier Than The Male (with pulp detective Bulldog Drummond re-imagined as a secret agent) features a human-sized chess board, with giant motorized chess pieces. Drummond and the villain play against each other in one scene.

I remember one of those retro/nostalgia film magazines running a story a couple of years ago, of a fan who attempted to track down the set, and was able to find one of the pieces (the rest had been destroyed, if I remember correctly).

jupiter8 and AppleBonker like this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It's a gem of a movie. I love that one. I think it's titled Searching for Bobby Fisher. There's a funny scene where Ben Kingsley, as the kid's disciplinarian chess teacher, remembers that board games can also be fun, and plays against the kid in a game of (I think) Monopoly.

11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

James Bond - From Russia With Love

12. Stereosound

James Bond - The Spy Who Loved Me

jeffd7030, Dyland and longdist01 like this.
  13. Stereosound

Sherlock Holmes - Game Of Shadows

Dyland and longdist01 like this.
  14. Stereosound

Part 2:

Dyland likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's not a movie but there's s great chess game in an episode of 'Columbo' where two grandmasters who are about to play a championship game the next day meet by chance in a restaurant and start playing on a checkered tablecloth using bits of food and the salt and pepper shakers as the chess pieces.

16. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The Omega Man

17. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Ignatius likes this.
  18. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I've just watched a British film from 1963 called Master Spy which features a few games of chess. The games are used as an excuse for meetings.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  19. Pangurban

Pangurban Forum Resident

The Thomas Crown Affair

I’m shocked that this scene is almost 7 minutes long.

20. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Jeff Goldblum vs. Judd Hirsch
    [​IMG]
    Independence Day

nosliw, Scooterpiety and longdist01 like this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

22. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Michael J. Fox vs. a dog
    [​IMG]
    Back To The Future Part III

JamesRR and longdist01 like this.
  23. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Chess game in Stalag 17, plus a knight piece is a key plot device.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    longdist01 and Fabrice Outside like this.
  24. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

This is from TV, but when the British series The Avengers premiered in the US the original show opening took place on a chess board.

25. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Kubrick was an avid chess player and had the game in several of his films, sometimes playing but other times just as imagery.

[​IMG]