Transatlantic 'The Final Flight: Live at L'Olympia' - 17 February 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 2, 2022.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Exactly. And unfortunately, this behavior isn't just limited to music.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Don't know if I can find the words right now. It was quite emotional. From where I'm sitting, it had little to do with it being the final concert. It's just the performance. I knew this concert would be better than the the first two shows of the tour that I witnessed but I really had no idea. Pete is really the star of the new album live as he was on the studio albums.

Never got to the CDs yet, but I will. Didn't think the Whirlwind Tour DVD could be topped because of the set, but the performance this time is just...

Can't wait to find the time for more.

Cledwyn and SpinIt like this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Can't wait for this one either. I don't know how Final Flight could be topped, but bring it on!

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I thought about the signed pass but I've gotten enough his work signed over the years that it wasn't worth the hassle this time, so I decided against it. I've only ever has a shipping delay problem once. I don't usually order from them anymore due to the postage.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The first Testimony is one of the most organic and honest pieces of work he has ever done. Listening to that after hearing Snow pretty much explains why he left Spock's Beard. Testimony 2 was mostly a rehash until maybe the last third or so. (It's been quite a while since I've pulled it out so I'm not exactly sure where the break occurs.)

Cledwyn likes this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The only time that became distracting for me was when it was close to 50 percent of the screen image. I did like how it overlayed with some of the crowd shots.

7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Didn't see anything on the menu. It may have been planned but the "drama" surrounding the final shows likely killed any chance of that.

I still wonder what the "incident" was that nearly boiled over in public.

dunkoid likes this.
  8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I really like the spiritual part of it. It's when it becomes overt that it tends to bug me.

9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The magic most definitely rubbed off. It's a transformative experience. Very impactful. Can't imagine how it will affect you since you were there.

SpinIt likes this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I got the two emails. If I lived there I'd have considered certain festivals over the years.

Still haven't made a Marillion weekend either, although we almost went for it this year.

11. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Haven’t heard anything about it, do tell me more.

12. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

:agree::agree::agree:

ytserush and SpinIt like this.
  13. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Although the graphics were unnecessary and a little intrusive, I'm thankful that the video isn't plagued by an excessive number of crowd shots. :)

SpinIt likes this.
  14. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Thanks. There are closeups of me twice. It’s more than enough! I’m that bald guy with an expression of pure bliss on his face. Oh wait…that sums up about half the audience! :angel:

15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

That's because nobody needs to see a load of prog fans on their TV ;)

walrus, Cledwyn and SpinIt like this.
  16. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Got my set Friday. Very good value for the money. Only criticism would be the occasional screen graphics and lack of a tour video. (I got used to those and found them to be a lot of fun.)
    There’s been a whole year since we’ve seen any new music from Neal, so this was a nice bonus while the wait continues..

samskeyti and Cledwyn like this.
  17. Adam Pajda

The last thing the world needs right now is more Neal Morse's Regressive Rock repetitve blandness.

18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There were a few cryptic tweets by band members that alluded to the band being suddenly over. I think it was in the main Transatlantic thread or maybe a Neal Morse thread. Whatever it was that may have boiled over never became publicly known.

19. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Tweets do have a habit to be blown out of proportion. As if to reassure us, the liner notes state that "There is no problem between any of us".

ytserush, oneway23 and SpinIt like this.
  20. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Nothing boiled over. They just agreed together it’s a good moment to put Transatlantic aside.

Exactly. At the gig in Paris I saw a bunch of musicians whom were having a TON of fun together. In a way that only friends can have fun. The reason they aren’t committing to a follow up is simply because they aren’t sure when, how and if they could top it. And they also expressed concern if they could make it all work again given their progressing age. All this can be heard in various interviews with various band members, and the messages between them are very coherent about it.

If this is indeed the end of Transatlantic, they went at a high and with a bang. IMHO that’s the best way to end a band. There are plenty of (prog) bands out there that have become a boring repetitive shadow of themselves.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    ytserush, Cledwyn and LivingForever like this.
  21. Adam Pajda

Let's address the elephant in the room - the reason they say it's over and it is a last flight (wow how creative!) is to come back in 5 or 7 or 10 years and call it a great and unexpected reunion and record one last album and go on a Farawell Ultrafinal Tour. We've seen it before, it's all just pure marketing move. Yaaaaaawn.....

22. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Are you sure? Roine would be past 70 in five years. And Pete and Neal aren’t a whole lot younger.

Cledwyn likes this.
  23. Adam Pajda

Dylan's 81 right now.

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Honestly this is why I stopped listening to new prog about 12 years ago. I was dutifully buying all the albums by the bands I'd enjoyed in the '90s and 2000's and suddenly realised they were doing absolutely nothing I hadn't heard from them on 15 previous albums.

Thread tangent but I'd be genuinely interested in what "prog" artists are still doing something you've not heard before, every time they release something. The only one that easily comes to my mind is Steven Wilson - whether you like things like "The Future Bites" or not (and I do!), you do genuinely get something a bit different from every album he's involved in.

Even the band in your avatar I'm sorry to say, seem to have fallen into a bit of a pattern with their music, which wasn't the case up to "Marbles".

SpinIt and oneway23 like this.
  25. Adam Pajda

I used to love progressive rock with all my heart but having learned about all the major bands and familirize myself with their catalogue from A to Z I know hate the music. Not the old one but new progressive rock. This genre has become the most regressive of all genres in the world. Same old same old. Inside Out and Kscope should be burnt into the ground.

LivingForever likes this.