Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Bon Jovi - The Crush Tour, 50p
    M*A*S*H, 2-disc special edition, £1

[​IMG]

905 and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I still need to sort and put up those Who DVDs I don't need anymore - just been battling a bout of gastric flu and coping with some traumatic family stuff.

EG.

3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope things improve soon!

AlmostHeavenWV and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks :) The former will inevitably ease, but sadly the latter has meant a lot of drastic changes for everyone.

EG.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  5. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Finding anything from Eureka/MoC in one of these places always makes my day. Doesn't happen often. Expect to see a lot of Who (not the band) stuff handed in now it's jumped to blu-ray. The special editions are lovely with the purple BBC logo. Pertwee's Ambassadors of Death & Inferno are gooduns!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  6. AlmostHeavenWV

I do see the occasional DoctorWho DVD from recent years, but it's the first three Doctors I most enjoy watching, and this is the first time I've found one of them in a charity shop. CeX is the best place to find the "classic" Doctor Who DVDs.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Nothing worse than dealing with family matters.

AlmostHeavenWV and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Tennessee Stud

Tennessee Stud Forum Resident

I'm usually rooting for CDs, but do cast an eye over the DVD piles just in case. Some recent nice finds:

"No Time to Die" - £2 from Oxfam just weeks after it came out!
    Huge Clint Eastwood boxset which had most of the essential stuff but was missing the "Invictus" and "Mystic River" discs - £5 and still a huge bargain
    Blade Runner 2049 - £2
    Yes Prime Minister - all seasons, 99p each
    Bluegrass Country Soul 1971 concert - 99p
    Roy Orbison Live at Austin City Limits - 99p
    The three Lord of the Rings extended edition boxes - £2 each

You can't argue with those prices. And mainly in good nick too.

My Holy Grail? "Backbeat" - I can't find this ANYWHERE, in a chazza or brand new. Anyone know what he story is? It's the 90s Steven Dorff film about Stuart Sutcliffe and the Beatles.

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow, looking on eBay even the mega sellers are asking a minimum of around £16-17 for it! I used to have the VHS, enjoyed the film more than I expected to.

EG.

10. Tennessee Stud

I'm hoping I find two copies in a chazza for 99p each - one to keep and one to use as a scalping tool... ;)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Don't you mean it's about ASTRID, STUART and The Beatles.

Mylene and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Still looking for a copy of Sweet Dreams starring Jessica Lange for my mother.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That sounds like me as well: I almost always look at the CDs first, then scoot over to the right and look at the DVDs. But, if someone got to the CDs before me, I'll give the DVDs a looking over, hoping they're done looking at the CDs by the time I'm done with the DVDs. I absolutely *hate* when I'm looking at the CDs (or DVDs) and someone's trying to horn in on my space. I think to myself, 'I was here first, you can wait your turn ya know...'

Eric_Generic and BeSteVenn like this.
  14. Tennessee Stud

Oh yes - the character who sidles up into your space and - you suspect - is checking out the same stuff as you!! It happened yesterday - I love books too and found some absolutely mint condition first edition James Lee Burkes in a chazza, all for £2 each (Oxfam would have had them in a cabinet priced £70 each). As I was going through them, some geezer comes up to me and picks one up as I'm going through the set to see what's what. He then, annoyingly, finds a signed copy on an adjacent shelf! Luckily, he put it down and I swooped - after a decent amount of time, of course, so as to give him time to wander off!!!

(Also found first edition Gerald Durrell "Corfu" novel with dust jacket - mint condition. It's been a great couple of weeks chazza-dipping!)

15. Wildest cat from montana

I'm reminded of the time this used record store near me was having a 50% off sale one day.
    There was a fair sized lineup before the store opened and when it did the guy at the front of the line said no one was "allowed" to look at any merchandise before he did.
    Of course no one paid any attention to this deluded fool.
    He got quite upset and made a stink with the staff but they ignored him too.

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I hate that too....had something a bit like that the other week, when a whole treasure trove of good stuff was piled up near the counter in a used music store and I'd begun to look through them when a guy reached over and started picking off things...fortunately he only wanted things I already had or didn't fancy...and also he kept flip-flopping over a Pulse DVD and I thought, well if you put it down one more time then I am taking it. Which I did. Because he left it anyway.

Today's only find was the 2-disc edition of Wall Street for a quid. Never seen it. One of many late 80s films that I keep meaning to check out one day.

EG.

Grand_Ennui and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Number one rule of buying things at a thrift shop:
    If there is something you are even remotely thinking of buying , take physical possession of it. Letting it out of your grip is a rookie mistake.

18. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Good car boot haul this morn

Belfast
    The Lost King
    Red Joan
    Rillington Place BBC
    Buddy Rich Montreaux 1982
    Three Days In Auschwitz
    Il Trovatore DG

50p each :)

AlmostHeavenWV and Dave S like this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The Shining still sealed £1.

SirCandy and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  20. Tennessee Stud

It's always the smaller chazzas where the best bargains - and unusual stuff - are found.

This week I picked up:

Inspector Montalbano Box Sets 1 and 2
    Brian Wilson Songwriter 1962-1969 DVD
    Gotham Season 1
    House of Cards trilogy box set (UK)
    The Graduate Director's Chair edition

- all for £1 for 3!

I picked these DVDs up from an "outskirts of town" chazza I noticed as I was driving to town to look in the bigger shops. They yielded nothing but overpriced tat and it was the unexpected punt that paid dividends. I also found a load of mint Michale Morpurgo books for my son (4 for £1) and the last three Harry Potter films for £3. Right result.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

All 4 series of Monty Python from an Oxfam bookshop, £3.99.

[​IMG]

CDFanatic, Dave S, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

In the U.S., it's available on blu-ray at a low price from Shout Factory. It is region-locked, though.

Backbeat

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Tennessee Stud likes this.
  23. AlmostHeavenWV

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not my actual copy...but...
    [​IMG]
    Blade Runner (Directors Cut)

Still sealed, perfect condition. £2.99. In the old-style Warner card clip-around cases.

That was the main reason for buying it (it's my #1 film of all-time), but also I'd managed to not have this particular version of the film anymore on DVD, when I upgraded to the bells-and-whistles 5-disc tin boxset of the Final Cut.

EG.

25. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Decent scores at Half Price Books today:

Simpsons season 6 - $10
    Simpsons season 14 - $13
    Simpsons season 16 - $13.50
    Two Women (1960) - $3
    Royal Tenenbaums - $7
    Herzog/Kinski (6 disc) - $20

Paid a little more than I'd like for the Simpsons, but I never see these later seasons in the wild. I think I have seasons 1-16 now. Only missing a few more. Most excited for the Herzog films. I know at least two of them are highly regarded (Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo).

Dave S and AlmostHeavenWV like this.