Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hazy_Paisley

Hazy_Paisley Forum Resident

Hana-Bi (fireworks). Directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano. It's a rather slow and meditative look at a former Police detective. It involves the Yakuza and the protagonists terminally ill wife. It's rather tender without much dialogue with punctuations of violence.
    Definitely worth a watch.
    [​IMG]

2. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Just watched this the other day. Loved it! My first non-Ghibli film scored by Hisaishi. Incredible work by him again. Need to watch Kitano's Kikujiro next.

3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I love this old horror movie that probably scared the 糞 out of a lot of kids in the 1960's.

Halfwit and Bruce Racket like this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

All three films of Masaki Kobayashi’s The Human Condition starring the great Tatsuya Nakadai. It has been mentioned before in the thread but it was a long time ago.

5. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

The Criterion Collection Blu-ray of Cure was very good imo. Audition is another one I really liked. Picked up the Arrow Blu-ray. I think it's also available as a $3.99 rental on Vudu if I'm not mistaken. Tampopo is another favorite of mine too. Korean films are great to check out too. Memories of Murder, Burning, J.S.A., all were ones I really enjoyed. Anything by Bong Joon-Ho is good. Lots of good foreign films from Korea/Japan. Unfortunately not all of them are available in the USA easily.

6. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Onada: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle.

I'm sure its been mentioned but Shogun Assassin / Lone Wolf and Cub is a great series of movies.

7. Bruce Racket

What is the name of this movie? Sounds so weird, wild and crazy I have to check it out. Thanks!

8. Jazzmonkie

Big Man Japan. It would have been better it was much shorter.

slipkid and Bruce Racket like this.
  9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Aw man, my pictures disappeared. The first one was the movie poster, posted below. And just in case in gets yanked again, it's 'Big Man Japan'.

[​IMG]

slipkid and Bruce Racket like this.
  10. Bruce Racket

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Jazzmonkie and Groovy like this.
  11. Jazzmonkie

Bruce Racket likes this.
  12. Jazzmonkie

Today I watched Gemini (1999) from director Shin'ya Tsukamoto. Great cinematography and visuals with an interesting story.

acemachine26 likes this.
  13. Bruce Racket

. It’s a cool concept that is well done. Low on budget but high on writing and execution. I hope you enjoy it.

14. Jazzmonkie

My friend and I both loved it. We couldn't imagine how hard it must have been to keep track of the actions in the film for the filmmakers.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Wandering blind swordsman, masseur Zatoichi

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  16. Bruce Racket

Shin Ultraman. A must see if you are an Ultraman or kaiju fan. It was pretty crazy in the way great Japanese movies can be. I watched it with a couple friends and we were partying while we watched it. About a half hour in we started to ask each other if we were loaded or was this movie crazy as hell. And that's a compliment. Best watched with a Sapporo.
    Shin Ultraman (2022) - IMDb

17. Jazzmonkie

A Fugitive from the Past (1965) - A 3 hour crime drama that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Recommended.