24 bit vs 16 bit music files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Are you ever going to hear a difference? Say they're both 44.1Hz - can anyone hear the difference the extra bits make?

bgiliberti, Tim 2 and Holler Wanderer like this.
  2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

No.
    It’s not the bits.

It’s the filter and how it pushes noise out further.

and yes the difference is noticeable. Big time

dwilpower, vinnn, WvL and 8 others like this.
  3. Dino Villani

Dino Villani Resident Senior Audiophile

Yes, that’s what makes hi-rez files, hi-rez. The difference is very noticeable. Although true redbook can sound amazing with the right equipment, and if the mastering/cd production process is followed properly ie: XRCDs, listen to a 44.1 16 bit file vs a 44.1 24 bit file and you’ll definitely hear the difference.

4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

I say no. Other than the noise floor I can't hear a difference between 8 bit and 16 bit. And at 16 bits the noise floor is so low, I can't make use of the medium's full dynamic range.

5. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Are you saying you can't hear a difference? Like others commented above, it's quite obvious, even through fairly low-cost gear.

dwilpower, kBear, MGW and 3 others like this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

For all practical purposes, from the vantage point of a listener, there are no audible differences.

7. THOMAS STRAIGHT

THOMAS STRAIGHT Forum Resident

Where 24 bit has it over 16 bit is 120 db dynamic range vs approximately 90 db for 16 bit. This is a nice cushion when recording. Now playback is a different story, 16 bit is all you need.

8. Spaceboy

That's not what everyone else is saying here...

crispi and DIYmusic like this.
  9. Spaceboy

No it's not. There being any audible difference is not what makes them "hi-rez".

VQR, Boedefeld, The Pinhead and 2 others like this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So I do all my lp recording at 24/88.1 and I have to adjust levels for every recording -but going into the red (0 db and above) is still going into the red as far as I can tell.
    So does this extra cushion mean I can leave the clipping above 0 db?
    I always thought that with digital that clipping distorts the whole spectrum at that point (for whatever time it is clipping above 0 db).

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I wish I could setup a 16 vs 24 bit blind test group. I think I would make a lot of money taking bets.

No, there is no real audible difference between 16 and 24 bits when all else is equal. If I take a 96/24 file and resample to 44.1 and dither one to 24 and one to 16, I would be shocked if people are able to blindly tell the difference with any certainty.

That said, I like to have the highest rate in which something is available as I like to remaster and feel much better about starting with 24-bit for that. Same for recording, I will definitely record in 24.

VQR, WithinYourReach, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

24bit/192 kHz seems to be my listening “sweet spot” but most resolutions can offer dynamite reproduction if properly recorded and mastered.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Unless using a floating bit, then you are correct that you cannot exceed 0 without clipping. The extra "cushion" is the floor being lower. But 16-bit floor is already so low that no one is hearing it at normal listening. For most of the recordings being discussed on the Hoffman board (vintage analog recordings), the noise floor on the recording is already above that of 16-bit.

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

No, it means you don't have to set your level so close to 0 dB. You can record at a lower level and then normalize.

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So it's kind of the opposite I guess.
    I usually seek a minus 3,5 -4 db peak.
    What you describe is how I record anyway, I don't bother with normalization although I may in the future.

16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation!

rnranimal and Spaceboy like this.
  17. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

Give me Redbook, tubes and quality recordings and I will be happy as clams.

18. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

If you are more of a visual learner, you can also try bringing a digital photograph or a portion of a digital photograph into clipping and see how you lose spatial frequencies (the analogue of sampling across pixels instead of across time samples on an audio file).

woody likes this.
  19. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

I haven't noticed a consistent difference between a CD rip of a high quality recording, and the what I think is the same recording on Qobuz at 44.1/24. But I have no idea if the Qobuz recording was actually recorded and mastered at 24 bits, or if this is just the file format.

There have been cases where I thought one was slightly better than the other, but the differences are subtle at best, and it's not always the 24bit Qobuz recording that I perceive as better.

bgiliberti likes this.
  20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think I get the analogy but how would I bring a digital image 'into clipping'?

Khorn likes this.
  21. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

It depends on what software you have, but adding brightness or contrast is probably the easiest way. You could also push up the various color channels if that is available. For a 24 bit color file, once either red, green, or blue are at 255 you are at the clipping threshold.

ubiknik likes this.
  22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's good to know.
    I used to use Photoshop all the time but I haven't touched it in years, I am a visual artist but the main focus is outdoor pictorial painting with most color matching done by eye.

23. Spaceboy

You wont know if it's the same mastering if you're comparing CD to download.

24. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Other way around. It is nearly impossible to detect.

Blind A/B tests (myself and many others have taken) back that up.

Archamigo needs to chime in....

25. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

You'd still lose money, as you'll need $50K worth of digital gear in DACs and transports to hear the difference.......:wiggle:

rnranimal likes this.