New Lord of the Rings movies in development at Warner Bros

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident Thread Starter

It looks lie the Tolkien Estate is in a selling mood. I bet Amazon/Bezos are not pleased with this competition. It still looks like The Silmarillion rights are still locked up, but that's probably just a matter of time.

New 'Lord of the Rings' movie series in the works at Warner Bros. | CNN

It is one of the most beloved movie series of all time, but Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy only scratched the surface of the rich world of Middle-earth created by J.R.R. Tolkien.

And “multiple” new movies set in Middle-earth are in the works, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav announced on Thursday in an earnings call, after studio heads Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy signed a deal with Freemode, a division of Swedish entertainment company Embracer Group, which acquired the movie rights to Tolkien’s work in August last year. (Warner Bros. Discovery is the parent company of CNN.)

Warner Bros. will produce the movies together with sister company New Line Cinema and Freemode, “expanding upon the much-loved world and characters of Middle-earth,” a statement released by Embracer read.

Currently, New Line and Warner Bros. Animation are in production on an anime movie “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim,” a story set 183 years before the events of “The Lord of the Rings,” recounting the fate of Helm Hammerhand, a King of Rohan.

Neither the cost of the deal nor the creative team were revealed, although Jackson and his collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens told CNN in a statement that Warner Bros. and Embracer have kept them “in the loop” and that they “look forward to speaking with them further to hear their vision for the franchise moving forward.”

longdist01 and wolfyboy3 like this.
  2. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Good news.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. I’d rather not see anymore. Leave it alone.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Exactly. No idea why anyone would think this is good news... unless they're the easily pleased and relentlessly enthusiastic crowd?

The originals are top-notch. Everything else will always pale in comparison. What's the point?

Lee Davis, Boedefeld, FVDnz and 6 others like this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Just read the books. They're MUCH better.

via_atx, FVDnz, googlymoogly and 2 others like this.
  7. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

Let's not break LOTR like Star Wars. Also, let's not pretend the books are a great read. Just stop with that nonsense.

8. They are an entertaining read. If they weren’t I don’t think they would have been as widely read or made into movies.

longdist01 and wolfyboy3 like this.
  9. Jamsterdammer

What nonsense! The books ARE a great read, for the literate.

Lee Davis, padreken, FVDnz and 6 others like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Not interested in the slightest

I can see a revisionist version coming, like the Amazon one, of the middle earth with black elves and all that global agenda stuff

Scott222C, Erik Tracy and Doctor Worm like this.
  11. wolfyboy3

I think it's good news but you can't judge it until it happens. IE, the movies and stuff haven't been made yet. I am hoping they are good.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I can't say I'm very excited, but I can't say Jackson's films should be definitive Tolkien either. The more I watch them, the worse they get. In the hands of a better director, there could be significant improvement.

googlymoogly and MichaelH like this.
  13. Jamsterdammer

Jackson's part 1 of LOTR was great and part 2 was brilliant. I fell asleep during part 3. The Hobbit was a travesty.

14. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

In my opinion the Rings films definitely haven't held up, but the Hobbit's definitely have.

15. Spaghettiows

You would think that, but the internet has demonstrated otherwise.

16. wolfyboy3

I guess you have a point.

17. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I wish they'd just leave it be.

MichaelH likes this.
  18. Spaghettiows

Well, I would agree if they keep rehashing source material from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Silmarillion could make several great films of never before filmed Tolkien stories, in the right hands, but it has not been licensed yet so you get all of these retreads. As always, opinions will vary.

BeatleJWOL and longdist01 like this.
  19. The way I look at them-Jackson, like Lucas “Star Wars” films got better than just got worse.

there’s only so much material to work with.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The problem is that the original trilogy was done by a visionary, who spent about a dozen years being invested in the project, as an independent project with next to no interference from the studio whereas all of the other LOTR material is being done by studios more concerned with hype, woke messages such as diversity, and presentation than content, quality storytelling, great acting, etc.

So again, unless these studios make the movies people *want* to see, the only people who gain are those in the crew who have a job for a few months. It otherwise is entirely pointless... IMHO, YMMV, etc.

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

It always warms my heart when movies are mentioned in the course of an earnings call. [insert vomit omoticon]

HotblackDesiato likes this.
  22. They may not be definitive Tolkien but they are definitive Jackson-it’s his version of the films. As to a ‘better director’ Improving them, I don’t see it. I can see a different interpretation. Say whatever you will about Jackson’s films but they were a passion project and it’s clear a Jackson loved the source.

23. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I’m just a-wonderin’ what material is in play if Silmarillion is tied up? Reboots (essentially)? Won’t rush to judgement but not gettin’ good vibes….

24. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

anime! I am out. Nuff said.

25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I can't say I'm very excited by this. I love Tokien but I fear that the studios are going to run his legacy into the ground just like Disney did with Star Wars and Marvel.

And not everything needs to be made into a film. Is it too much to expect people to actually read the freaking books?

Jamsterdammer and Strat-Mangler like this.