The Consultant-Amazon series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Feb 24, 2023.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

A new series about a menacing, bizarre consultant to run a video game business. The guy terrorizes the employees. It stars:

RSteven likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Gonna watch Episode 1 tonight.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. wayneklein

I knew I recognized the material. It’s based on a book by Bentley Little that I read years ago.

RSteven likes this.
  4. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I watched the 1st 5 parts last night - I couldn't stop as it kept me engrossed. The 1st 5 parts have been fun, and I look forward to the rest. Never boring and quick viewing IMO.

RSteven likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, I was not expecting this: tons of surprises, lots of mysteries, very quirky stuff... and Christoph Waltz is always a delight to watch. Terrific little show.

RSteven and wayneklein like this.
  6. wayneklein

Yeah the novelist Bentley Little is like an extreme version of Stephen King. His work is always interesting although some of the novels eventually verge on formula much like happened with King.

RSteven and Vidiot like this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Watched Ep 1 this afternoon, had no idea what to expect. I liked it quite a bit, very watchable and will be watching more episodes.

RSteven likes this.
  8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm about to start. Looks like my kind of show, from the official blurb. A suspense/mystery with some comedy and probably not into the supernatural or fantasy or Zombies. I'll take 'em when I can get 'em these days. Waltz has been great in other movies, like Inglorious Bastards.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

King has written a similar story several times: Carrie is about a teenage girl who has telekinetic powers who can move objects and is driven mad by bullying schoolmates; The Shining is about a small boy with telepathic powers who becomes the target of demons; Firestarter is about a little girl with telekinetic powers who can start fires who becomes the target of dangerous government agents; Dr. Sleep involves several telepathic/telekinetic children (including grown-up Danny from The Shining) who are the target of energy vampires; The Institute is about a group of telepathic/telekinetic teenagers imprisoned in a government-run "school" who are tortured and trained to be assassins... am I leaving anything out?

Right off the bat, I said, "Christoph Waltz is acting so weird (like the thing with people's bad smells and problems with the stairs), he's gotta be an alien." I have no idea where it's going to go.

RSteven, Thomas D and wayneklein like this.
  10. wayneklein

Nah, there’s no doubt that he’s recycled stuff. He returns to the same tropes. I think it’s true of just about any writer at some point particularly genre writers that are more plot driven. Waltz was great. It’s rare that one doesn’t revisit the same idea and try and re-explore it. Little’ s early novels are offbeat.

some nice twists.

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm 20 minutes in and I'm getting a similar vibe. Or maybe he's Satan or a representative. LOL Anyway, it's interesting enough I'm gonna keep watching. It's funny they're giving him such real weirdness along with sort of an Elon Musk-like dictatorial style. (All remote workers must report within one hour; the black woman in a wheelchair who was seconds late is fired.) And the sniffing of necks is probably supposed to remind people of someone in particular.

12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I love where he got his name from.

Plinko, RSteven and ubiknik like this.
  13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I loved the pilot. But it's advertised as a comedy, and I didn't laugh once.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Watched e. 1. I have worked for worse people!

RSteven likes this.
  15. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Interesting premise and I was intrigued for a while, but before long I started feeling like the story was awfully one dimensional and repetitive. I don't see how all those clever techies and execs would fail to see what was going on with their boss, or fail to do anything about it despite the increasingly obvious red flags.

I've enjoyed Christopher Waltz in the past but it seemed like he was just reprising his charming villain schtick. And the end left the viewer with a lot of unexplained loose ends. Oh well.

TheAbsentMind and Thomas D like this.
  16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We watched the first episode and it was intriguing until right about the end. My wife just said 'really? and stared at me. I don't think either of us want any more of that.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  17. wayneklein

There may be a reason why he has problems with the stairs that is-maybe-revealed later. Depends on if you believe what’s revealed by the final episode.

Vidiot and RSteven like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

RSteven likes this.
  19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

This was supposed to be a comedy? I had one big laugh in episode three. The show seemed more like a mystery.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Creepy but still watching.

forthlin and RSteven like this.
  21. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

We’re up to episode 4 and really starting to like is one more than many recent shows due to the superior talented capabilities of the actor’s to stoke our interest.
    This is a very welcome and timely release.
    Guess we like it. :D

RSteven likes this.
  22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This was me for the first three episodes--seemed like it was just creepy and not particularly engaging. I've watched Ep 4 & 5 and now it's starting to get interesting. I'll likely see it through to the end, but probably wouldn't bother with another season.

23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Huge fan of Waltz so I must give this a try at some point. But I typically wait until the entire show is finished before I start. So will see how many seasons this is.

24. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Finished this off in two sittings. 30 min episodes are perfect length.

I loved this. I don't get the mixed reactions.

It's certainly building toward a larger story. This can get even better.

Khorn likes this.
  25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I stopped watching after ep.6, it almost felt like Woltz was bored, I know I was. But last night I saw another Woltz project; Georgetown, also on Prime. Now this was more like it, CW at his creepy best, surrounded by a-list actors, Vanessa Redgrave and Annette Bening, he always rises to the occasion. Good movie.