I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I had to do some digging to find my non-AF copy of GHII, but luckily it is a 1999. Immediately on trying "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight", I hear what you are talking about. This has the balance of the 1967 mix with the sound quality and clarity of the 1987 remix. It also has a little bit of added warmth that is not on the 1987 mix. "All Along The Watchtower" sounds closer to the 1967 mix to me, but the clarity on Dylan's vocals are excellent.

I bought my copy of Biograph used many years ago and didn't realize there were multiple releases, but mine appears to be a 1997 corrected (it has the fade at the end of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"). This version of "Dear Landlord" is exceptional. again, the balance of the 1967 mix and the clarity of the 1987. This really does beg the question of why no other release has utilized these tapes since 1999?

One thought is that Sony digitized the lower fidelity tape to DSD as their reference master, and so when the teams for the 2003 SACD and the MFSL requested the master, that is what they got?

mikeyt likes this.
  2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

This is a tangent that has nothing to do with JWH, but has anybody noticed that the live Manchester ‘66 version of “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” tha first appeared in 1985 on Biograph seems to have appeared in a different mix when Biograph was reissued in remastered form in 1997? The differences seem far more than just different mastering to my ears. I’m wondering if they replaced the original 1985 mix (which suffered from a bad vocal balance) with either the mix from the “Guitars Kissing” boot or the remix that would appear on Live 1966 a year later.

I haven’t done a head-to-head comparison with those other mixes yet, but the differences between the 1985 and 1997 versions of Biograph on a few other tracks have been well known. I haven’t seen any mention of this particular mix difference though.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe Live 1966 used the Nagra tapes instead of the CBS/Pye tapes for the acoustic set. Hence the difference.

4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I didn’t remember the provenance of those mixes, just that they were different. It seems likely that Columbia would have pulled one of those mixes to replace the ‘85 “Baby Blue” mix when they remastered the Biograph box in 1997. I’ll do some more investigating and comparing. This literally just hit me last night when I was comparing the sound of my original Biograph with the 1997 remaster track by track and I checked the normal online Dylan sites and didn’t see any mention of this apparent mix difference.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

See p47-48 of the Live 1966 booklet.

6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I shall! Thanks!

7. I have so many different versions of this album, including the original cd, that it becomes dizzying at times. I still haven't heard the SACD version.

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Which SACD? I have three different SACDs.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  9. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Well, they all seem pretty, pretty, pretty good. After all, he was never known to hurt an honest man.....

A Local Bloke likes this.
  10. Any SACD. What is the difference among any of the SACDs whether they were manufactured in Europe, America, or Japan unless there is also a SHM layer as well?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Completely different mastering on the Sony and MFSL SACDs.

Barnyard Symphony and CBackley like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

^^^^

Exactly.

FWIW, I enjoy the MFSL mono SACD the most out of any of my JWH discs.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The monitor speakers of the era, used at Columbia Nashville (the old Bradley Quonset Hut). Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theater Speakers, were in use. Steve, you therefore know why.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A note, the originals I find in East TN are hand scribed deadwax, looks like NW masterings. I recently saw a German orange label original. It had USA stampers, machine stamped deadwax. I suspect the German is a NYC cutting. Many San Francisco Columbia cuttings were also hand scribed deadwax I have seen from this era.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  15. BiNNS

BiNNS Forum Resident

So is it confirmed that JWH original Columbia cd is a remix?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  17. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

Not by anyone at Sony, as far as I know, but audible differences make the conclusion inescapable.

Tom34772 and Flaming Torch like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We do have this:

19. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

That’s the way I feel about many reissues. I have to say that most cd releases are/were pretty bad sonically in the infancy of the format however.

20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Interesting that the John Wesley Harding remix is out of print now, yet the 1999 Blonde on Blonde remix is the go to mix. Maybe Bob Dylan tried listening to the John Wesley Harding remix CD and preferred the compression of the original stereo mix. I prefer the remix, but who's to say what is correct if Dylan likes the original mix?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The original mix isn’t that compressed, but the production masters are.

22. S. P. Honeybunch

Where is the tape?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

At Sony.

24. S. P. Honeybunch

Even if someone does a flat transfer with no added compression, the bass might still be too loud.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The bass sounds great to me on the remastered Biograph and GHII

Sean Murdock, aphexj and yardbuzzard like this.