The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It does prove that the issue can happen spontaneously , though it doesn't remove the possibility that certain records can also cause it. I suspect gain settings are less important but who knows.

I kept my previous unit off when not in use. It sometimes clicked on first boot, but of course it was faulty. I'd been leaving the replacement unit on but from now on I'll turn it off and see what happens.

I hoped the replacement would be the last I heard of left channel clicks. But I am extremely thankful I can keep it under control by pressing bypass, unlike the previous one.

Fingers crossed one day soon SweetVinyl will refresh their product line and fix this for good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  2. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

sugarcube 2.3-700-g7ea08110-20230130-0200-prod dropped today!

Jim0830 likes this.
  3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thanks. I just checked and the upload was there for me too. I have been listening to records for the last couple of hours, so I had to choose to manually install it. It has just finished and I am good to go.

4. YourMainDude

I forgot to mention:

SV finally got religion and the linking inside the App now works, meaning, when you want to see what the latest update addresses - you can view & download the doc.

Both the "what's new" and the user manual docs are now accessible via the App.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

That is good to see. Thanks for sharing. I believe the problem was not actually Sweet Vinyl's fault. They used DropBox for uploading and sharing these documents. DropBox at least on the Mac didn't works in the new version of Mac OS. I can't speak to Windows. Some time ago I got an email warning me NOT to update MacOS because DropBox wouldn't work. Give me a break DropBox. Guess what? I stopped using DropBox. This current document appears to use MS PowerPoint.

6. YourMainDude

I can't comment on the Mac OS situation, but I have a Drop Box account and use it regularly ... and since I started using the Sugar Cube App in Windows I've never been able to successfully look at the SV Drop Box linked documents.
    I'd be hesitant to throw the blame squarely on DB's side of the equation. I never received any kind of error message previously... it just simply hung like the link went out into the ether and didn't return.

In any event, these revision docs are nice to finally see.

7. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

So I finally tested my SC-1 Plus with a new way to hear music. I ordered something on Amazon and got a free trial for their Music service that includes their “Ultra HD” offerings. The Ultra HD is 192 kb/ 24 bit and was downloaded by my MAC that interfaces with the SC-1 Plus and I have to say it sounds pretty good. I still have albums that Amazon does not have in their UHD offerings but it is a nice way to explore new music. In addition, I cannot perceive a difference in some of the Amazon albums and ones I have recorded on my system using vinyl on the SC-1 plus playing back.

keiron99 likes this.
  8. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Can you explain a little further? Are you using your SugarCube as a playback device?

9. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

The sugarcube SC-1 Plus is being used as a DAC. The data flow is from an Amazon App on the MAC, The MAC is connected to the Sugarcube with a USB port and the sugarcube is the DAC. The Amazon App needed to be adjusted for Audio Quality for HD/Ultra HD and the Download Settings to HD/Ultra HD for the best sound quality. The default settings on the APP gave a perceptively lower quality sound. In addition you also need to select content that is labeled as UHD.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    WDeranged likes this.
  10. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

I was/am in a similar situation, although retirement in 2021 let me start really going through that collection of classical records collected over the years, and the SugarCube made that possible, or if that's too strong a word, much more enjoyable. I was posting often then in the "Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation" thread.
    Who am I to suggest to anyone to spend that kind of money?, but it was well worth it for me.

keiron99, Vinylfindco, PATB and 2 others like this.
  11. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I've got an original SugarCube SC-1. I'm seeing this when I try to update the firmware:

This SugarCube has no update pending.

You are running SugarCube 2.3-667-g88c7470c-20220907-2133-prod installed 5 months ago
    Can anyone else with an original SugarCube SC-1 verify that this is the latest firmware update supported by this model?

Also: is there some sort of upgrade program where I can pay to send my original SC-1 in to SweetVinyl and get the guts replaced with a current-model SC-1 Mini or SC-1 Plus?

Thanks.

12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Im hoping to test one out for a week. I think I can borrow my dealer's and a good friend of his has one that's practically new that he was curious about but ultimately found he wasn't using it much at all. He said about 10 hours on it. I need to research price on a used SC1 Mini.

Tony A. likes this.
  13. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

I’m gonna assume that it’ll be close to the original retail price of $1500. I think it’ll hold it’s value due to the fact that it’s sold out (correct me if i’m wrong) and it’s has been proven to work for what it does.

14. Vinylfindco

I think you're right - I can't find any new or used in a quick search.

15. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

If you’re in the market for a used one, subscribe to this thread and turn on your notifications coz this is where you’ll first find out that one is available for sale. :D

Vinylfindco likes this.
  16. For what it’s worth, the SC-1 Mini Phono and SC-2 Mini Phono are in stock at Music Direct.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both models are on back order now.

18. Vinylfindco

They were available last week but no longer.

19. Vinylfindco

I think the one I could possibly get used is the SC1 Mini. I don't plan to archive my vinyl digitally at the moment but I wonder if I should get full functionality in case I ever decide I want to. Right now I'm mainly interested in the click and pop removing function.

20. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Original SC-1 here also:
    Last check at about 5 hours ago - ok
    You are running SugarCube 2.3-700-g7ea08110-20230130-0200-prod installed 17 days ago

I clicked "Check Now" and now this displays
    Last check at less than a minute ago - ok
    You are running SugarCube 2.3-700-g7ea08110-20230130-0200-prod installed 17 days ago

I am not sure if why our updates differ. You also have other questions that [email protected] can help with. Or I emailed Dan in 2020 and he replied, if support doesn't get back in a reasonable time. "Dan Eakins" <[email protected]>;

21. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

I have an original SC-1 and I've been offline for over a year. I bought a new router and never put the info into it. I'm not sure what the last update I have (will check when I'm home) but it's been working flawlessly since. Obviously I can't use my phone as a remote, but that's never been an issue for me. Would the best plan for me be to just keep as is, and if I run into an issue, get it connected to the internet again to push an update or restart?

FrankieP likes this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat with my SC-1 Mini. I moved a year ago and never set it up with my current internet. No issues really aside from the random left channel clicking on occasion so I've left it alone.

FrankieP and dangorange like this.
  23. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

I am still rocking the default firmware on my SC-1 Mini as this device is not allowed anywhere near the internet after reading about all these issues. :tsk:

Made a similar mistake once in upgrading my TV's firmware and I'm still salty about it years later.

24. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Hi Dan, glad your unit is working out for you.
    I think people are divided about any software update - to get the latest, or to not fix what ain't broke.
    I keep mine on the wi-fi network and get updates as they are pushed out and haven't had any problems.

dangorange likes this.
  25. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Member

Original SC-2 owner here.
    Current firmware:
    You are running SugarCube 2.3-700-g7ea08110-20230130-0200-prod installed 5 days ago

Tony A. likes this.