Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK) PART TWO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

rappaport and nige harris like this.
  2. finn

finn Forum Resident

If you look at the performance/ weight capacity graph provided for the Oreo’s, it’s interesting that the ideal ratio could have been achieved for your Jinro by using 3 Bordeaux devices only as this would place the Jinro’s 28 kgs perfectly at the highest level of the performance curve. I haven’t done the maths as to cost between the option you chose and the Bordeaux but I’m glad you found a result.
    I’m going through a phase of CD on repeat while I do other work and it’s good to hear constant noises emanating from the speakers so that when I do make a change, it’s instantly making itself aware. Today I can try the Indigo’s on the Oto and see what that delivers. It’s a highly transparent system at the moment, CD4.1- Sootto interconnect- Oto Phono SE Sig- Sogon speaker cable- AN-E SPx HE’s- Sootto mains.

3. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

Interesting comments and food for thought, it'll be good to have a longer listening session to evaluate where I am, but at the mo, still very happy... although I'm also conscious of how I'm feeling means i listen and feel the music slightly differently, and there are many other factors, so time is needed and will tell for the more subtle changes...

Cheers Nige

4. Atle Rovik

Atle Rovik Forum Resident

Look forward to hear about your experience with the Orea’s, @finn

@nige harris: It is an interesting and recommended exercise, to listen without the Orea’s after a while.

nige harris likes this.
  5. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

Just curious: I assume it is two Oreas in the back where the trannies are and one in the front of the Oto?

6. finn

finn Forum Resident

2 at the back, 1 just behind the volume control. Jury is still deliberating. Try them on the transport first in your system.
    While you are up and about, I want you to buy a CD for me and add it to your collection. No good at copying and paste.
    It’s on sale so you can afford it.
    Search prestomusic.com
    Arvo Part. Onyx label ONYX4201
    Victoria Mullova, Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, Paavo Jarvi conducting. 2018
    Stunning music and demonstration worthy every day of the week. So very special.

Encore likes this.
  7. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

If using three Oreas (or any other footer device) they need to be oriented to equally distribute weight being supported. In most cases, this means three footer devices won’t be placed in a unilateral triangle, and they won’t be necessarily placed two in back and one in front. I find placing one directly under a transformer is a good start, with placing the other two in positions where they securely and steadily support the component. From that starting point experimentation is key, as is moving past the idea of placing footers in traditional locations, e.g. two-in-back one-in-front (or vice versa).

Lowrider75 likes this.
  8. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

I've heard them several times. The last time only a couple of weeks ago, under a set of E Spe He on the end of An Oto Sig and CD 4.1.
    In the past we went back and forth between them and the steel counter parts. The Audio Counsel stands always sounded more natural. Better in my opinion.

audio archon and richidi like this.
  9. rappaport

rappaport Forum Resident

My full set of Oreas has arrived and been duly installed beneath amp, cd transport, dac, and riaa - (TT are to follow later)

Within a system already well balanced to a T, the Oreas optimally implemented (very - VERY important!!) constitute such a PROFOUND sonic upgrade to my system playing cds, it sounds as if costing at least twice the price - surprising considering cost.

The right size Oreas impact on the final result is so manifold and multi facetted, it'll be a long read to cover it all.
    Perhaps too trivial to people already "there" - but if enough interest from others yet to take the plunge - or people having yet to fullfill the Oreas potential, I can report what I penned down while listening after having carefully loaded each component using the optimal versions.

But the short answer to the Q:
    Does the Oreas make enough of an upgrade to be worth the effort?

A resounding and emphatic YES!!

With the simplistic - top of the iceberg headline:

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN

A big thanks to @Nige for raising this "flag",
    bringing the Oreas to my attention.
    Thing is; there's too much "noise" with all manner products claiming and promissing the same crock of gold at the rainbow's end.
    With a "Good Luck" in finding that end, if you're often all on your own.
    Primarily the raison d'etres of this blog to ameliorate.

Finally; it didn't quite know what to expect, after having already implemented Gaia IIs to my speaker stands.
    Would it be more of the same?
    Perhaps only smidgeon more?
    To my great happiness - and relief - the Oreas bring so much more in other aspects that the Gaias - to make so much sense.
    Cheers Henrik

jusbe, nige harris, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  10. finn

finn Forum Resident

Context is a wonderful thing and with the Oreo’s, I already used a platform that”cleans” up the end sound by dramatically reducing the mechanical energy of the device sitting on it so doubling up for me wasn’t so much of a leap forward. If in your case you had no such material already in place, then the Oreo’s would work as you indicate.
    Very few people with a passion for audio use the stone I mentioned and have no idea what it can actually achieve. Last time Don Parkhurst was in sydney we caught up for a meal and he flew back to Canada with a couple of pieces to try under a component. I’m sure if you travel half way around the world to Australia, I can spare some.

11. finn

finn Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct however in this case in answering the question, the transformers are aligned along the back and one slightly forward such that the requirement for the 3rd foot is needed off centre just behind the volume pot so the answer given was correct. With the CD4.1, it was 2 along the side and 1 on the opposing side. With your P4 Balanced it would be 2 across the back and 1 at the front 2/5ths of the way across from the right hand side of the amps. For your Pre it would be the same as the CD4.1.

12. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Cool.

I use four footers under each amplifier: Nobsound springs (rear footers using more springs than the front due to transformers locations).

Three HRS couplers+risers under the preamp.

The placement method I described works for me.

audio archon likes this.
  13. Dejavu

Dejavu Forum Resident

There are times that I cannot use the living room for listening to music through my super AN system. Therefore I have started a search for a headphone (and amp) that would convey the same emotion as my AN system. This is not a topic for this forum but can other AN fans let me know what headphones they are using? I am thinking Grado, Dan Clark Audio to name two. There are not many shops here in France that have various models in stock so your responses will help me in a more efficient search.

jonwoody and nige harris like this.
  14. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Incidentally, here is what I saw this morning (I initially thought it was a headphone amp). I guess this is what happens when you leave a Copland and an Audio Note in the same room unattended for a Saturday evening...
    ≥ Audio Note phono voorversterker — Buizenversterkers — Marktplaats

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    jonwoody and Dejavu like this.
  15. R.T.Firefly

Several months ago, when I saw your post about it, I tried to find it somewhere in my country. No luck. If anyone has the material, it's usually in the form of larger building blocks, not small slabs. I even inquired about it at the foot of a volcano, in Catania, Sicily (the whole town is made of basalt). Same deal. Is there a special source you're getting it from?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  16. Morten V. Hansen

Morten V. Hansen Well-Known Member

Apparently you can customize an ordinary Audio Note amp for the purpose, cf the P1 currently for sale at the Audio Note shop in Copenhagen (Brugttilbud ).
    That depends on whether you have access to an amp and/or a skilled technician ... but that is probably the way I would go :)

[​IMG]

17. finn

finn Forum Resident

The local chain of hardware outlets. It’s sold as an outdoor paving material. Not expensive and works because of its vesicular construct. You can pour a glass of water onto the surface and it drains straight through. As the vibrations pass through the stone, because they are continuously changing direction, they loose energy very quickly. Very hard and quite heavy but come pre cut in 20 mm slabs. I bought a stone saw to resize it as required. The things we justify for better sound.

18. nige harris

I know this has been done on a Otto as well, not sure by who though...

Not sure if this link will work:
    @an_2a3 on Instagram: "Opened the top case, removed the Sovtek set and inserted set of 4 Tele EL84.... #audionoteuk #audionotecable #audionoteoto #audionoteav #headfi #speakercables #silvercable #hiendcable #el84tubes #audionote #audionotecable #zmfheadphones #tubeamp #headphones #headphoneamplifier #rollingtubes #tuberolling #telefunkentubes #telefunkenel84 #hifiaudio #stereosystem #audiophile #12ax7 #hifisetup #hifidelityaudio #singleendedtriode #audionoteav"

Nige

BettisDad and Atle Rovik like this.
  19. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Not sure what you’re trying to say about the Copland? You’re referring to the Copland 215?

20. nige harris

Hi Finn, what's the materials 'trade' name? Is it s natural stone, a composite or?

Can you post a picture if it?

Thanks

Nige

21. finn

finn Forum Resident

Natural stone, volcanic origin hence the porous nature, vesicular basalt or bluestone as it has a consistent colour and occasional “rivers” of larger cellular patterns. There are photos of it on our Facebook page. Most of it available here is imported from China. Comes in slabs 600 x 300 x 20 mm and weighs 14kgs for that size. Wet cut with a diamond blade, that’s why I needed to buy a Husqvana table saw so I could rip down the slabs to the size I need.
    Every house should have a stone cutter handy and a great tax write off as well.

NapaBob, nige harris and audio archon like this.
  22. R.T.Firefly

I was referring mostly to the volume knob that looks like it was a part of a Copland amp in it's previous life.

jonwoody and SpinIt like this.
  23. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

I bought a slab on recommendation from Finn, I think it cost me $A16 for one piece. I know I dont need to back up a recommendation from Finn but it was probably the single best, easy and cheap change that have I made to my set up. I do not have a fancy rack, my turntable is on a timber shelf that is set into brick work and I was getting a small amount of feedback loop from my turntable at higher volumes and the basalt totally killed it, stone dead! I can now listen to my Led Zep at an appropriate volume.

24. KevC

KevC Active Member

Any thoughts on buying a technics SlL1210GR?
    I current have an Oto SE Phono connected to AN J/LX. My current TT is an old TT1 (first generation I think where audio note is written in silver!!!) with a standard rega arm and an M series Shure cartridge which all came with the turntable. It was my first turntable which was bought a few years back and I'm thinking of upgrading? I could get a new AN cart and arm however given how old the turntable is I'm wondering if I should just sell it and get something else i.e. A technics? Budget wise I don't really want to spend more than £2k all in and a TT1 with arm and cartridge will b over £3k

Any insights would be welcome

25. KevC

KevC Active Member

and just to add I was thinking of pairing it with an AN IQ cartridge

whaaat likes this.