New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Since they were both filmed at the same time, and since making a second season that turns viewers off the series before the final season is shown isn't a viable option, I doubt that there was any deliberate thought behind Series 2's mixed reception.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, not what I said.

3. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Apologies.

The term "stop gap" suggests to me the application of less-than-best efforts.

What was your intention when using that term?

4. Well there are only 36 dramatic situations. They’ve used most of them before.

5. We also don’t know how much control Baird had over the final cut of Nemesis. It’s entirely possible that it was shaped by committee within Paramount. Baird is a pretty good film editor but I agree they should have found someone with a better understanding of Trek to,shepherd the film.

6. Drakes has lost some weight. It’s,promising to see them being the cast back for one last hurrah.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Let's fly ...land?

'Star Trek: Discovery' to End With Season 5 at Paramount+ - Variety

Finally, the long national nightmare is over. Discovery is coming to an end, Alex Kurtzman is going to walk into the sea and melt into foam, and we can get back to real Star Trek. You know what that means. Yeah you do. :)

Just kidding. Eat tribble with the fur on, haters.

I just hope the show didn't get Enterprised and they get to have a proper finale, ideally this time without a TNG character running a holodeck program involved anywhere in the "plot". Maybe an actual love letter to the fans.

Or they'll just kill everyone off and we'll all get to hear the hootin' and hollerin' from certain corners of the internet.

(okay I'm being a wise guy but also a Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies ending would be something different for a Trek show...)

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Seven to eight years to do 65 episodes? They could have spent a LOT less on lens flares and redesigned Klingons and hired better writers who could have churned out more and better episodes.

I've been lukewarm to this series since it started. Season Two was likely its best as it gave us Pike and Spock. I was intrigued by the jump to the distant future, but it sort-of fell flat as far as I'm concerned.

I'm probably one of the few who wanted to see more of Captain Lorca.

sotosound and sharedon like this.
  9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I do like Discovery, but I'm ready for this to end. The story is getting so out there, and the ret-conning so absurd, that it's a bit past time, TBH. It had some beautiful moments, but I can't keep going with a series that seems to reinvent the whole thing every year.

There's rumblings of huge changes at Paramount+, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot/most of New Trek got sunsetted in the near future.

10. BeatleJWOL

Count me in.

Unfortunately there was no way to win with Lorca. He was a jerk, and that made him interesting, but the "not my Star Trek" people who want their shiny happy Starfleet officers with no conflict (Gene's Vision™) wouldn't have been happy with more of that than we got.

Granted, pulling the rug out from underneath and saying "well actually he's this way for a reason" was not a great fix.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Champagne Boot

Have to think that Jason Isaacs was always a bit of a budget killer. As Michelle Yeoh has become, too. She wins that Oscar, gotta think it's really and truly bye bye Section 31 spinoff.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

Not real sad about that. I love me some Section 31 but seeing too much into the shadows is no fun. That said, my idea for a Section 31 show would be fun: a shadowy organization within Starfleet cleaning up the messes (and/or Prime Directive violations) their captains leave behind ("The Apple" or "A Private Little War", just for example) by any means necessary. :D

13. Champagne Boot

I really think it would have to be an episodic, not serial show to work. A sort of Star Trek: SVU situation. We don't need more serial Trek, TBH.

14. BeatleJWOL

I think Strange New Worlds has shown there's room for both. We also have Lower Decks in that vein.

Prodigy, I think, will continue to be serialized and it works well for that series.

15. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I liked the Lorca character. He made it interesting. A captain with the gravitas, but sideways moral center.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Champagne Boot

Right, there's room for both. I think Lower Deck is the best Trek since DS9. But with new series, enough with the serial stuff, especially when it all inevitably comes back to time travel of some kind. Which, to my mind, has become the laziest plot fallback of the franchise.

Shawn likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Strange that people who are living through an ongoing pandemic forget there was a pandemic in the first place.

And while I’m sorry DISCO is coming to an end, I hope they go out on a high note.

And bring on Section 31 already! You have freakin’ Michelle Yeoh waiting in the wings!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I watched it when it was on Netflix and really enjoyed the first two seasons, the third was horrid. Then it went to only being viewed on Paramount and I didn't want to pay for yet another streaming service.

19. Champagne Boot

After all the legacy Trek started migrating over to Paramount+ and the New Trek stuff started dropping in droves, Paramount+ became pretty much essential if you're a Trek fan. Is it a great streaming service otherwise? Not so much.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

They better announce a new Star Trek series soon if they want to keep me as a subscriber. I don't think I would do it if it was only one or two series.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Champagne Boot

That run where they staggered the schedule so there was a new Trek episode every week for multiple months was craven at best, but still much appreciated. I think I'd probably just ditch it until there was a season on again, I'll spend like 20 bucks for a couple months to see SNW or Lower Decks.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Hey for an old school TV fan they are pretty neat. The entire run of Perry Mason and Love Boat and they have just added all of the one hour episodes of Gunsmoke both Black & White and color the entirety of seasons 7-20. As a side note for my money seasons 7-10 are the best and hardest to find Gusmoke, as you get Chester and Festus as well as Burt Reynolds as Quint Asper with the majority of the writing by my favorite western writers John Meston and Kathleen Hite, win-win-win.

Bea Jonas and HGN2001 like this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

If you add Showtime the slate of movies is pretty impressive, and there are other good shows on there.

24. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

I listen to a lot of OTR and Kathleen Hite wrote some great radio scripts, too, including The Dark Wall, one of my favorite episodes of Escape.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Yes, she sure did. She also wrote around 30 of the 40 episodes of Raymond Burr's excellent radio western Fort Laramie! A role that he left to become TV's Perry Mason.

Bea Jonas likes this.