The First Time A Piece of Music Stopped You In Your Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 6stringer, Mar 3, 2023.

1. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters. Thread Starter

I was reminded this week of a track that, when I first heard it, made me stop and just listen.

1984 - I was, by then, a confirmed Beatles/60's/Jam/Zep/Purple/Stones/Kinks/Quo/Motown fan/discoverer and I was also a budding guitarist with an unresolved hankering for the drums.

So, my friend likes Emerson, Lake and Palmer. He plays me Tarkus (long) and Brain Salad Surgery (quirky and obscure). So I give them the chance and buy the first (self titled) album because it was cheap.

Track 1 - The Barbarian - by the time Carl Palmer is hammering his drums about 4 minutes in, I had to stand still and listen. The first time I wanted to be a drummer (I ended up a bass player first). I have never since been drawn to anything deeply prog rock since (because, at heart, most songs are done by 3 minutes 30 in my book) but "The Barbarian", and "Knife Edge" as support, from that first LP...well the sheer musical ability and dynamics made me listen.

What was the first track that literally (or figuratively if we're grammatically correct) stopped you in your tracks?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows. I was but a lad and it was the weirdest sounding thing I had heard up to that time in my young life.

3. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

4. zither

zither Forum Resident

David Bowie - Life on Mars. It still stops me in my tracks.

5. 6stringer

I get that entirely. Tremendous 3 minutes.

6. 6stringer

Ooh yes. That's a humdinger and, I think, my favourite Bowie track. Superb.

Boom Operator, Swansong and zither like this.
  7. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Ramones - don't remember the track. It was 1977, I was at a college house party. The music was the usual for that time - Queen, Aerosmith, Elton, Zep etc. Then, pow, WTF is that?? I was all in after that

Lee Davis, KipB, Chazz Avery and 5 others like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

I was 9. Talk about setting the bar high.

9. zed

zed Forum Resident

1988. Was late at night and MTV 120 Minutes was on the tube. Jane’s Addiction’s Mountain Song – the bass and then guitars kicked in and then Perry’s scream. Alternative music at this point was very far away from anything like grunge. But that song literally stopped me and I became a huge fan at that instant. It crushed it for me. Plus the swirl of the video and Perry’s crazy Iggy Pop inspired dancing—just took music to a new level at that point in history.

If you’ve read on the Seattle scene any you’ll know how much Jane’s Addiction influenced that entire scene from the little tours they’d go on back in 86-87.

jeffd7030, whohadd, Tanx and 4 others like this.
  10. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Beatles. A Day in the Life.

11. 6stringer

George P, I'm in the UK and, unfortunately, can't play the video. What's the track that did it for you?

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

6stringer likes this.
  13. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

Timothy by The Buoys (written by Rupert Holmes). I couldn't believe my local radio station was playing a song about cannibalism, but as a Monster Kid, I loved it.

OldShiftyEyes and Frozensoda like this.
  14. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Led Zep: Good times bad times I'm drummer up until that time it was either Charlie Watts or Ringo Star after hearing Bonzo for the first I wanted to play like him

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, Death On Two Legs by Queen from A Night At The Opera.

16. 6stringer

Yes, set the bar for a whole host of bands to come at that time.

17. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Satisfaction, She Said She Said, Are You Experienced, Oh, Well....these pieces I heard very early in life...when they came out....stunning pieces of music for me!!!

Swansong, 6stringer and zither like this.
  18. 6stringer

Yes. There's a good few Queen tracks that I'd mark as favourites for me. My own along the same lines would be Brighton Rock from Sheer Heart Attack.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sultans of Swing, if we’re speaking literally. I stopped the car!

20. 6stringer

In the field of 1968 music, that track was a bomb blast of sound. I love it.

Swansong, The Trinity and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  21. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

You got that right

22. 6stringer

I can associate with that in that my record player wasn't the best but you know when it's something special.

23. Nintari

Nintari Forum Resident

A Day in the Life. Heard those opening chords as a teenager in the backseat of a car going down the interstate and instantly, I was like that guy on Seinfeld when he hears Desperado. I was stunned into silence. What the hell is that? I wondered.

It was mesmerizing.

24. mbennet

mbennet Forum Resident

This is the Modern World (The Jam). Opened up a whole new world beyond classic rock.

Craig, zed, wellhamsrus and 6 others like this.
  25. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I was watching the Toronto UHF channel, TV Ontario one night in 1976. The show was Nightmusic and two music critics were raving about a new album by a band named Ramones. They played bits and pieces of it and I was dumbfounded, in the best possible way. Everything changed that night.

Lee Davis, Craig, GillyT and 5 others like this.