What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

The Champions. Interesting series. Not one ld watched before,not sure why as it’s that style of 60s show l like.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Newhart. Julia Duffy was so funny and attractive on this.

3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm up to season 12 of Dallas, and this is where the show went off the rails. The last season ended with a double cliffhanger: J.R. throws Nicolas Pierce off the balcony to his death and then Sue Ellen shoots two slugs into his chest. Then we find out that J.R. only had flesh wounds (?????) and is not facing murder charges (?????) because no one was pressing charges. That's right. The Dallas D.A. only takes murder cases to court when someone cares about the person who was killed.

And it gets worse. In the most ridiculous (I hope intentionally) story of the series, J.R. heads to an unnamed town in an unnamed state and gets caught in bed with the local hottie. He is caught by inbred rednecks straight from central casting who want to string him up, but instead J.R. is given a "trial" in front of the Justice of the Peace who sends him to "prison" for ten years! Then we get to see our multimillionaire villain working on a road gang and plowing fields with a horse! Meanwhile, no one cares where he is. So this town somehow gets away with railroading visitors into ten year prison sentences because no one ever comes looking for them?

If that doesn't seem like a parody of what the show was, the other major story is that South Fork is in a literal war with a neighboring ranch. We're talking about explosions, gun fights, mercenaries wearing Rambo tank tops in helicopters shooting at kids with machine guns, and everything that shows that Texas is nothing but men shooting at each other while law enforcement shrugs. Suddenly the show is all about cattle ranching.

Remember when the show was about the oil business? Well in this season life long Ewing hater Cliff Barnes becomes a partner of Ewing Oil. What??? No wonder the ratings sank. Nothing in this show made sense anymore. I could tell more but I'd wear out the question mark key on my keyboard.

jonathan and a customer like this.
  4. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Twin Peaks 1st season

5. MIKEPR

MIKEPR Forum Resident

Chico & The Man.

There's some on Youtube.

Moshe likes this.
  6. Magnum p.i. is on Gettv at 3pm and 4pm each day.

I am quite enjoying it. One of my favourite shows as a kid. This guy gets to live alone, drive a Ferrari and hang out with his friends?? I aspired to that.

Picture quality is not bad at all either.

Trader Joe and George P like this.
  7. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Working Stiffs...Michael Keaton /Jim Belushi before they were anybody ...only four episodes originally aired ...the remaining 6 episodes were eventually released on home video.

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Wife and I have been watching Rawhide on INSP. Had never seen it before, good show.

9. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

10. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The Avengers (on Amazon Prime), the Diana Rigg seasons.

11. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

"The Surprise Party" from

[​IMG]

Episode 6

via

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonathan likes this.
  12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Same here. I have so many of these either in progress or on my to-watch list, but this is another! Along with The Protectors.

I could watch that kind of stuff all day.

EG.

bluearmy78 likes this.
  13. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Yes, the Protectors is another one in my list to watch, had the DVD box set over a year but not had chance to start it yet.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The Wild Wild West on Pluto TV
    The avengers on prime

MerseyBeatle and YardByrd like this.
  15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

got my son some DVD box sets from my childhood so we've been watching:
    first season Scooby Doo from '69
    Jonny Quest from '64 (this and the above both of which were still ubiquitous in reruns through the '70s)
    Hong Kong Phooey from '74 (I had the lunchbox in first grade)

and recently finished '78's Battlestar Galactica... just moved into Galactica 1980 and, man, it's just as bad as I remember it being a 12-year-old! My 9-year-old digs it, though, for whatever reason...

16. YardByrd

been falling asleep to these recently... they still hold up and often something breaks through the wall of sleep and I wake up laughing at some gag I've heard/seen a hundred times over the years! I still like the first three seasons best, but the Winchester character is better than I remember it all those years ago...

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  17. YardByrd

a friend of mine who is about 25 years older was talking about '70s tv (I was just a lad back then so a lot of the innuendos flew over my head) and he had a good point... he said things like Match Game were "naughty" without being explicit... and somehow it made it funnier than more contemporary raunch...

JeffreyB likes this.
  18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

They got away with a lot, or expanded what was acceptable if you prefer. They freely used the word 'boobs' for example-- not that I consider that obscene or anything, but what other American program used the word (in reference to snobby anatomy) in 1973? They've also had several questions involving women losing their 'blank'.

More in line with your point, they would sometimes have questions about a man's 'blank,' but no contestant or celebrity ever referred to a phallus, not even euphemistically, and I'm sure the players were warned not to.

Just as a time capsule if nothing else, it's interesting to look back on.

a customer likes this.
  19. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

20. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Really enjoyed Grimm, watched it from start to finish when it was on tv.

October Man likes this.
  22. Kaskade10729

"Revenge is Sweet"

Season 4 Episode 11 of

[​IMG]

via
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Kaskade10729

"The Ugly Section"

Episode 7 of

[​IMG]

via

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unclefred likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A Touch of Frost

25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

the Outer Limits, in the Bellero Shield episode, Sally Kellerman is so beautifully wicked.

Kaskade10729 likes this.