Chris Rock on Netflix!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know but I found it refreshing that although he acknowledges the country is messed up, he didn't go political, not a Trump, Biden, AOC, Harris, etc. in the whole set. Late night hosts should take notice!

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It was hit and miss.

Some moments were very funny. He's done better.

EVOLVIST, hanleyp, Jack_Straw and 2 others like this.
  3. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I watched as well, and felt the same. Also, the overuse of f***(or some variation of it) gets old. I don't mind a sprinkling of it, but it doesn't need to be used in every sentence. Seems like a lack of originality. It was an hours or so of my life that I'd like to have back.

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I sat through the stuff about his entitled daughter (as well as the Will Smith takedown finale) and thought, "Hmm, the trials & tribulations of the rich & famous. Okayyy..."
    :doh:

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The evolution is similar. I don't know that I would call it conservative.

Good comedians are observers. Once they get to a certain age, it is quite reasonable for them to feel contempt for everybody including themselves.

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I have mixed feelings about that. At least he's being honest about the life he leads. There is nothing worse than a celebrity putting on a front that they have the same issues as the people in the audience when they fly home to a mansion on x-amount of acres. Even those of us who aren't rich can understand the whole entitlement thing with our own kids or even when we may have been that way with our own parents, if we are being honest.

On the other hand, I can't afford a lawyer, so I try to avoid situations where I need to hire one. Also, my son isn't going to Europe anytime soon. So, yeah. Not exactly relatable.

Spitfire, Jack_Straw and Ghostworld like this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

His answer to the question of why he didn’t retaliate to the slap is great and typical of Chris Rock’s humour.

forthlin, dlokazip and mmars982 like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

And a literal mic-drop moment.

9. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I wouldn’t call the comment I mentioned an opinion but rather, a sad effort to invalidate others’ opinions. Such people are angry and frustrated with their lives and the world they live in. Hope they get some help, Kyle B.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

From his Bigger and Blacker stand up:

"There ain't a white man in this room that would change places with me. None of you. None of you would change places with me, and I'm rich!"

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Pete Puma and majorlance like this.
  12. I hope so, I expect they’d have a solid rapport.

realkilroy and RSteven like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and I are Chris fans...from the beginning of his career he had made us laugh...Thanks Chris!

15. The show starts slow and not particularly funny, but about midway the laughs start coming hard.

RSteven and dlokazip like this.
  16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

If you are going to make the argument that someone is an average comedian, you shouldn't be comparing them to two of the best standup comics of all time. That's like saying Antonin Dvorak is an average composer because he's no Bach or Mozart. It's true, but then hardly anybody is.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

In my opinion, Chris Rock > George Carlin

And I saw Carlin live.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  18. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Saw the Netflix special. Loved it. The very fact that there were uncomfortable moments for the audience tells me he didn't pander to either side.

However, he still did not answer the eternal question: "How much for one rib?" ;)

19. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

The Ricky Gervais specials are WAY funnier :hide:. Sorry, I'll see myself out.

Licorice pizza, thgord and GLUDFSSR like this.
  20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Probably isn't fair to compare any stand up comedian to Carlin or Rickles. The two were brilliant.

Amnion, RSteven, Plinko and 1 other person like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For all the world waiting a year to hear his comeback to Will Smith's slap, I thought the bit about Smith and his wife was lousy. Barely funny. What a screwed up opportunity. Weak.

a customer likes this.
  22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that was pretty boring. i honestly thought rock was funnier than that.

Billy Infinity, razerx and Amnion like this.
  23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

the line about still having "summertime" in his head was brilliant, though.

ivan_wemple and dlokazip like this.
  24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I started to watch and made it 30 min and then Netflix crashed. When I went back in I was not able to fast forward to where I was, it stared over from the beginning. Ugh, are you not able to fast forward with this special? Wasn't good enough that I would start it all over.

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Nah. Not a bit funny except the last 10 minutes.