Tears For Fears - The Hurting finally gets Deluxe treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesc, Aug 6, 2013.

1. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Yes... like Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, complete sessions bluray by Steve Wilson! With new stereo mix on vinyl!!!

ARK, cowboy72, bloodisthin and 6 others like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't think there's anything wrong with the existing stereo mix, just the mastering.

RAZORMADE, NunoBento and humanracer like this.
  3. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

ELAHE is the only TFF album with no good mastering available so I hope it does get a new mix.

4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

cool. i didn't know that they would revisit the hurting. but its nice getting the extras,
    and the instrumental mix.

later
    || | || || | | |
    ne gat ive 1

ARK, RAZORMADE and JulesRules like this.
  5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Me too!

6. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Link....please!!;-)

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I wasn't going to do it...but I couldn't help myself. #MadWorld

8. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Ordered the Blu, thanks to you beautiful people for the tip! :targettiphat:

Now if only I hadn't slept on that damn BIG CHAIR BLU RAY
    :mudscrying:

ARK and jacden like this.
  9. JulesRules

Being in a betting mood... We'll probably see a limited repress in two years. After all, the SDE model seems to work, so why not?

ispace and TongueDruid like this.
  10. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

That's what I was thinkin' & sure hoping for!

JulesRules likes this.
  11. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident

What's the chances of them reissuing The Hurting & Songs From The Big Chair box sets again?

ARK and ispace like this.
  12. What timing, I was just recently poking around for the best digital version of this album. Methinks this will do the trick nicely.

ARK, Say It Right and JulesRules like this.
  13. JulesRules

Less likely, although I wouldn't rule it out either. I suppose they're going to keep an eye on second hand prices and stuff...

VinylRichieUK likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Like Christmas in March!

dobyblue, ispace and JulesRules like this.
  15. JulesRules

I've also heard some second/third-hand news that there might be some tour dates announced soon...

16. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I really hope this BluRay ends up including a new (dynamic, good!) mastering of the original stereo mix.

FVDnz, JeffMo, ispace and 2 others like this.
  17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Ooh, now that's interesting news. I was wondering if the whole Tipping Point tour and promo cycle had finished. The UK leg was cut short by Curt's injury and then they made a couple of under the radar appearances.

I think Roland mentioned that "End Of Night" would be a single at some point too.

I have great memories of the show I saw last year and just want more people to get a chance to see it, especially with The Tipping Point songs featured so much.

cowboy72 and JulesRules like this.
  18. JulesRules

The preorder window closes. Paul updated his description, and it looks like the Blu-ray could also end up containing the best digital mastering of the original mix:

The 1983 mix of The Hurting in hi-res stereo as remastered by Miles Showell for the half-speed mastered vinyl

19. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

At least there’s a chance, without an old master being recycled! Anyone familiar with the work of Miles Showell?

20. JulesRules

Showell is mainly known for vinyl mastering, which I can't comment on. His work on Mark Knopfler's 1996-2007 CD box wasn't great but to be fair, those albums were already very compressed to begin with. Same goes for Brian May's Another World.

Hopefully, with the mix having to stack up to SW's work, the dynamics will be good.

c-eling likes this.
  21. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I have browsed this thread by chance and found out about this new Blu-ray edition in a completely random way on the last day of the pre-order window. I have pre-ordered this disc but I am really against this "boutique treatment" for music products. The worst of the worst has been the Bowie catalogue in the last few years and I am afraid with physical sales drying out we will see this silly marketing approach develop even more. Websites with esclusive versions, boxsets available only on the artist's website and so on. I am not going to play this game and I have already given up on Bowie's products. I hope this is a one off thing for Tears For Fears but it probably isn't.

22. JulesRules

On principle, I agree with you. The problem isn't so much the artists though - the big labels evidently are more and more averse to taking risks. That's why Paul says that we wouldn't get this Blu-ray without his initiative. Whether that automatically means a more widespread release, with a better solution for the import tax / handling fee nonsense, is not possible... I can't say one way or the other. I still think Paul could get a couple of distributors on board at least, and also aim at a slightly higher number of copies than have been preordered so that people are actually able to buy it once it's released.

Releases like this don't really instill confidence in the future of physical media, when it all hinges on one guy and his family handling things.

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

All his 1/2 speeds I have, have a left channel dB bias, so I quit buying them. Mastering wise, he's only as good as his source. He was credited as mastering the recent Cure-Wish LP, which going by reviews he used Smith's digital remaster for it, sad...
    I have no issues with his regular speed cuts-no bias issues.
    Think I'm going to skip this release, I have no interest in these types of remixes and I'm happy with my old mastering's CD/LP :)

Andrea_Bellucci and JeffMo like this.
  24. JulesRules

What about the two unreleased tracks though :whistle:

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cory is a PUREST. If only this was a flat transfer with Pre emphasis turned on.....

JulesRules and c-eling like this.