Chris Rock on Netflix!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

like women and shoes. who knew?

2. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

:laugh:

Juan Matus likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Selective outrage according to CR; Michael Jackson and R Kelly! One's an icon, the other is in jail, for doing the exact same thing! He's right! And his doubling down on abortion, every women should have the right to kill as many kids as they want! Its hard -core, cause i understand exactly what he's saying, i'm anti-abortion but it should be a womens choice. People comparing him to Carlin, one thing that they have in common, they were both fearless, that's for sure!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

INDEED! he was one of a kind... I'd love to see a show with him in today'times if he was still with us...Oh, boy!

RSteven and Licorice pizza like this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Maybe. Or maybe he goes the Dennis Miller route and does a 180 on his earlier persona.

Licorice pizza and Michael like this.
  6. I enjoyed it.
    Supposedly Will is embarrassed about what Chris said.
    Well, good.

7. Michael

too bad we'll never know...I was fan of George and he was great in his movie appearances as well...Jersey Girl.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  8. Michael

I haven't seen anything on Miller...what's changed?

9. Michael

loved that one...

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

He is right of center now. Very right. Not to say that’s a bad thing or a good thing….but that’s not how he was when he was younger. It just shows sometimes people change over the years.

11. Michael

OH, OK...thanks...

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Trouble is it's not a very original take at all. I can think of several well-known comedians (and regular people too) who have said exactly the same thing...

So, when you hear it again, it's just not that funny - comes off as unoriginal.

nojmplease likes this.
  13. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

That line was hilarious, but he stole it from Richard Pryor.

I enjoyed the special a lot. It is not for the weak, though. Watch it with your tough skin on. Just like the old days. :cool:

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd agree about it's not very original, but my point isn't about originality, it's about fearlessness. Obviously we all have opinions, but it takes testicular fortitude to voice them to millions of people.

15. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I don't get this bravery/fearlessness thing really. They're not on the front line in Ukraine.

16. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

I haven't watched this, but Chris Rock is kinda hit'n'miss in other stuff I've seen. Best stand up comedians who's stuff I've seen were Norm Mcdonald and Bill Hicks, as Denis Leary knew...steal from the best.

nojmplease and Licorice pizza like this.
  17. Licorice pizza

Well, according to Napoleon Bonaparte, four angry newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. Or so I've heard. Even Chris jokes about working harder in the old days to beat somebody at work and now all you gotta do is report him for something he said.

18. Licorice pizza

Hey, Jeff! How ya doing, my friend? Yeah, had those tough skin jeans on as I watched Chris and, of course, when I watch other comedians. Hope retirement is treating you well.:cheers:

19. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Watched the first 10-15 minutes and the last ~10 minutes (to catch the Will Smith rant). Unless I missed out on some substantially better material in the middle, I found this to be an unbearably unfunny special. And surprisingly, his narrative around the incident itself - or anything else I caught - was not original, fresh or risky in the slightest.

I recall Rock's specials back in the late 90s/early 2000s being decent, so I guess my expectations were set a little too high? Perhaps someday we'll find out the whole slap itself was part of a long-form postmodern marketing stunt coordinated by Netflix - now that would be funny.

aroney and Licorice pizza like this.
  20. CusBlues

C'mon. If you have an issue, state it. It's not like brave and fearless are never used to describe public speaking or performing. Good grief.

21. CusBlues

:wave: Doing well and enjoying retirement.

22. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

OK. I't's not the same thing. Risking your life is more important than risking getting "cancelled".

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. aroney

Well, then a whole bunch of people were publicly "fearless" on that take first...;)

There's also little risk in tackling abortion as a topic too...

24. aroney

I knew I'd heard that one before too.

If you can handle Louis CK (who, despite being "cancelled" hasn't let up one bit), Bill Burr, Anthony Jeselnik, and others, Rock is a walk in the park (a less funny one)...

25. Michael

and why is that?