Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I don't think Hooky will rejoin the band. It cost him (and them) far too money, nobody 'won', and Hooky didn't get what he wanted. By his own words in the auction catalogue "It cost me over a million quid, and nearly bankrupted me!".

CRJ and EmceeEscher like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Good catch!

hutlock likes this.
  3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

hutlock likes this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Right?! I hope someone caught that before they printed everything!

Although apparently the Dutch 12” is FACT 73. Hahaha.

Shame because I do like the designs.

negative1 and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Right. Kinda sorta technically not totally incorrect.

[​IMG]

negative1, hutlock and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

probably discussed out of order but the song "TEMPTATION"
    I really prefer the version of the New Order compilation "Substance"
    The same version appears in "Trainspotting"
    This version clocks in right around 7:00 minutes.
    Does anyone else prefer this version?

I found it super odd that when they included several versions of "Temptation" on the super deluxe boxed set of "Movement" that this was left off.
    Why?

7. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Temptation and Confusion were both re-recorded in 1987 specifically for inclusion on Substance, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be included with albums that were originally released years earlier.

I like this version of Temptation as well, but it didn't exist in 1981.

I believe that International is the only other New Order release the re-recorded versions have ever appeared on, and Temptation only on the limited edition 2-CD release.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The re-record can be found on the 1987 CD Single for Touched By The Hand of God also :)
    An alt edit 3:30 of the original 7 inch version can be found on the Something Wild soundtrack.
    Temptation '98 on the Retro Bonus disc and a benefit compilation.

9. hutlock

Right! I recall very specifically being bummed beyond words when the version on the Touched By The Hand Of God CD single was NOT the 1981 original actually, as the packaging seems to very much indicate that it would be.

I’m one of those folks who VASTLY prefers the 1981 version in all of it’s primitive glory.

negative1 and c-eling like this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Count me in the Tempt '87 group!

c-eling and negative1 like this.
  11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

So was Tony Wilson! They simply pulled the wrong tape from the shelf when the time came.

12. hutlock

Hahahaha that is a Very Factory thing to do, I reckon.

13. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

I was there along with Leuven after that (2 days after off the top of my head?)
    Me and 2 mates went to Amsterdam, for the first time, inbetween. That was an eye opener for this young English lad at the time.

negative1 and hutlock like this.
  14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yes, I vastly prefer that later Substance version too! The earlier version has always sounded kind of under-developed to me, and Bernard's singing on the later version is much better and more emotionally engaging.

Beamish13, JeffMo and negative1 like this.
  15. hutlock

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think he is definitely singing better from a technical standpoint by the 1987 version, but I find the less trained singing in 1981 to sound more “real” for lack of a better term. He sounds like a bewildered teen in 81, more like a professional in 87; therefore more emotionally convincing to me on the former rather than the latter. I definitely see your argument…just from the opposite perspective!

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh: What a goof! I enjoy both including 98, but mostly go for the oldie. I like that rough sound they had. At least in North America we got it digitally on 81-82 :)

JeffMo, negative1 and hutlock like this.
  17. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Another reason that Substance needs its own re-issue/box set after Brotherhood, imho. Too many unique mixes or re-recordings involved in that compilation to ignore it while doing deluxe editions of the catalog.

18. hutlock

Well I sent them an email asking if they actually plan to print all the stuff with the wrong info on it. Will report back if/when they reply.

19. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

that makes sense - it's a super logical answer. I have Substance on vinyl. This version doesn't sound good on any CD version or streaming...

20. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

here's the riptide single with bernard :

later
    | || | | || | ||
    ne gat ive 1

c-eling likes this.
  21. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

The 24 Hour Party People Soundtrack also has a unique 5:44 edit of Temptation ‘87.

22. EmceeEscher

What did Hooky want? I'm not well-versed on the acrimony.

Beamish13 likes this.
  23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Money, and control (including over use of band imagery on T-shirts, etc). So, for example, the band selling a T shirt with a 1987 record cover on, he felt he should be paid more. It's a very long story, but he felt he didn't have the compensation, or influence, he wanted. As far as I understand it, he was paid everything he'd contractually agreed for past work once he left, record royalties, etc. His Light merch was very very similar to established JD/NO styles, fonts, and colours. I think he also felt that he was underpaid for the licence of the current line up of the band using the name New Order paying the old line up a fee to use the band name. Very messy and no one looks particularly amazing as a result.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  24. EmceeEscher

I see. Well, I still think there is hope that he would join the band at the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame performance, even if recording anything with them after that is really far fetched. Maybe a one off just for the ceremony?

hutlock likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I wish all of the score cues they recorded for that and the film Closer were together in one place