Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I don't think it's likely. It got very public, with Hooky saying some very unpleasant things - the kind of things that are so vitriolic and loaded with accusations (true, or not!) would probably instantly kill stone dead any chance of the parties ever talking again. I'm not commenting on how true they are.

Beamish13 likes this.
  2. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Do you think Hooky will skip the ceremony entirely? Surely he'd like the chance to give a speech.

3. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

EmceeEscher and hutlock like this.
  4. EmceeEscher

I think it would be so wrong if JD/NO didn't get in this year so I think it'll happen.

Question is, does NO think to capitalize on the occasion with new music around that time this Fall. Hopefully.

5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I meant to weigh in on the Temptation talk but kept forgetting. I’m firmly on Team 1982 12”. The Substance version was the first one I ever heard and all I knew for a couple years. I didn’t actually realize it was a new recording until I bought the 12” and played it. It totally threw me and I didn’t like it at all at first. But I kept playing it and it fully won me over. It’s so scrappy and wild, and it has a youthful energy to it that the 87 recording is missing. Sure, the later version is more structured and performed better. But the original 12” mix sounds like how falling in love feels, in all its chaotic and messy glory

6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I was enormously disappointed with the 1982 12" after a couple of years of knowing the Substance mix. I'd been hearing these huge, roaring live versions, then got the 12" ....and it sounded like garbage compared.

7. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

To each their own, I prefer the original 12”.

hutlock and ghoulsurgery like this.
  8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This brings up a good point—most folks I know seem to prefer the 87 version if it is the one they heard first because the 82 sounds primitive by comparison.

By the same token, hearing the 82 version first was an amazing experience at the time; NOTHING sounded like that (except maybe “Everything’s Gone Green” hahahaha).

9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The 1982 version sounded old the first time I heard it - whereas what I loved about New Order (and Kraftwerk) was that everything they did sounded like it had been recorded last week, the 1982 version sounded ancient to me.

Some of the medleys they did of Everythings Gone Green / Temptation / 586 are wonderful.

c-eling and hutlock like this.
  10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s that primitive element that won me over. The 87 version is a technical improvement in basically every way. The 82 12” just has an intangible feeling that just does more for me. It almost sounds like they’re improvising it while they recorded it.

hutlock, ShockOfDaylight and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Ahh, good to know thanks! :)

negative1 and ShockOfDaylight like this.
  12. c-eling

The upped tempo really works well with this song. One of my favorite live takes Mark and then of course the cover after Green :)

negative1, ghoulsurgery and markreed like this.
  13. c-eling

It's either EQ'd slightly warmer or the styli/phono pre is coloring it as it's the same digital found on the Substance CD, streaming services use that mastering.
    This puppy maxes out at a beautiful 18 kHz :D

hutlock likes this.
  14. hutlock

While we are on the topic: does anyone prefer…

The Substance version of “Confusion” over the original 12” version?

The single version of “Sub-culture” over the original LP version from Low-life?

To me, both of the originals are again FAR better. But curious to hear what you all think.

ghoulsurgery and c-eling like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I am not a fan of the remake of Confusion.
    I don't mind the single version of Sub-Culture, it served a purpose.
    I find the remake of Temptation redundant.

hutlock likes this.
  16. c-eling

Sub-Culture -Album Version/Joseph Watt's Remix
    Not a fan of Robie's remix at all. :sigh:
    Confusion I rank about as high as World In Motion :hide:
    Decades of trying I just can't get into it for some reason.

Dave 81828384 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  17. hutlock

Hahaha do you mean the OG Confusion or the 1987 Confusion, Corey? Or do you just hate them both?

I really dig the OG but the 87 remake just loses all that street vibe of the song.

c-eling likes this.
  18. EmceeEscher

Anyone go to the Dallas show and know what the merch situation is?

hutlock likes this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m with you! I’ve tried and tried and it doesn’t connect with me. I still own multiple copies of the single though :laugh:

The only other song I have a strong opinion on re: alternate versions is Bizarre Love Triangle. I think the LP version blows away the 12” version

Dave 81828384, hutlock and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

Both Hut. And the odd thing I love this style of music. Maybe I have a bad memory tied to it (I hit a rabbit or deer in my car while it was playing) :laugh:

ghoulsurgery and hutlock like this.
  21. hutlock

Re: Sub-Culture — yeah, I will say I really liked the Robie version at the time but in retrospect I think that was just the newness of it more than anything. If it was just remixed without the female vocals, I would probably like it still. But the original has stood up much better to my ears.

c-eling and ghoulsurgery like this.
  22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

If I had to pick the Razormaid mix (which is the full length of the Record Mirror Mix) of Subculture.

The Robie 7" is OK. The LP mix is impotent.

I prefer the original Confusion. Rumour had it that some fans had "JOHN ROBIE MUST DIE" T-shirts at some gigs. I was too young to be there!

c-eling and hutlock like this.
  23. c-eling

:laugh:
    I'm pretty burned out on Shep's 12 inch, and no Hook Bass. I pretty much default to the Canadian 7 inch which loops the bass solo and the Richard X remix anymore, love the album version also :)

ghoulsurgery and hutlock like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Was Hooky wearing the shirt? :D
    According to his NO book he hated Robie.

hutlock likes this.
  25. hutlock

Hahahaha that absolutely seems like something Hooky would do.

Point of pride: 17-yr-old me met Hooky briefly in 1989 before a gig. Asked him if he would sign my ticket stub and he called me a Tw*t and told me to piss off. Hahahaha!!!

dougotte, Gavaxeman, jfeldt and 3 others like this.