"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks so much my Elvis friend!

2. 80steen

80steen John McClane

At first when I saw you say Best Picture I was thinking like Carson "I did not know that"

3. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

On Spotify, you can find my playlist. I have the songs in chronological order, as heard in the film. Search jonaldecoa and you'll see all my Elvis playlists. :)

4. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Thanks. Gonna do that myself on my Apple Music. It looks like on the new deluxe version they have them going in order for a while, then it reverts back to the original release.

5. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Well, I think I'm just going to downplay this thing so I'm not too bothered with potential disappointment. You know how it goes. If Austin loses the Oscars are worthless and if he wins they rule lol. But seriously, seeing that some voters on anonymous ballads admit to voting along narrative for life-time achievement for Nigh and Farrell and comeback for Fraser, just shows that if Austin doesn't win, it's not because he wasn't deserving. I'll then forever pay more respect to BAFTA and even the Golden Globes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I can’t add anything that the other members have said other than I’ll be keeping you guys in my prayers.

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I've told my lady about all your kind posts. We both are touched by each and every one of them.

GillyT, Aldecoa, WinstonOno and 4 others like this.
  8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Best to you @RSteven and your partner. Hope all works out well.

GillyT, Aldecoa, WinstonOno and 5 others like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thanks @MRamble. You have virtually been our thread leader on this Elvis movie for sometime. Your posts on this movie have been among the most rewarding for me to read. I can hardly wait to see what happens on this thread after the Oscars on Sunday. It is either going to be a very jolly group of Elvis fans or some very disappointed ones. No matter what happens, this Elvis movie well exceeded even my most optimistic projections. What a gift it has been to Elvis's legacy, his family and his fans.

GillyT, Aldecoa, WinstonOno and 5 others like this.
  10. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I just read that Austin won best lead actor in a Musical or Comedy at the 27th Satellite Awards held in Beverley Hills California. Fraser won for Drama, so they didn't go head to head there. However, Austin did beat Colin Farell in his category, and considering all of the awards that Colin won early on from critics, and that he also won in the Comedy or Musical category at the Golden Globes, it's pretty impressive that Austin still won over him.
    As for overall lead actor awards this season for Austin that makes 6 as it applies to all international films.

Sunset Circle Awards
    Satellite Awards (Comedy or Musical)
    People's Choice
    Golden Globes (Drama)
    AAFCTA International
    BAFTA

Aldecoa, RSteven, WinstonOno and 3 others like this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

12. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I was wondering if you were gonna place Cotton Candy Land as a carnival scene or right after the opening of the Suspicious Minds intro before Parker collapses

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not the kind of award you want, Tom Hanks gets the Razzie.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/razzie-awards-1.6775972

In the 2022 Elvis film, Tom Hanks's depiction of Elvis Presley's real-life former manager, Col. Tom Parker, is cruel, corrupt, and according to the 2023 Razzie award results, deserving of worst supporting actor and worst screen combo awards.

Before celebrating the best films of the season during the Oscars ceremony on Sunday, the Razzie Awards called out the worst on Saturday.

Despite the Forrest Gump actor's legacy of Oscar-winning roles, many critics and fans condemned his performance in Elvis, particularly his accent.

The Razzies named Hanks worst supporting actor and worst screen combo for the actor and his "latex face" in the film.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. 80steen

80steen John McClane

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

So, it's between Butler and Fraser or does Farrell have a chance?

I watched Banshees of Inisherin last night. Great movie!

I haven't re-watched the Elvis film after I saw it in the cinema, which was a great experience. I am afraid that the movie doesn't hold up on repeated viewings.

17. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Banshees was interesting but I felt it jumped the shark. Hopefully Colin is pulling votes from Fraser with them both being the vets.

18. Price.pittsburgh

Razzi's though can be their own type of weird positive acclaim. Plus, doesn't that make Austin look better, having to work against the worst performance of the year? :laugh: I wonder if the Oscar and Razzle were ever won by two different actors for the same movie

RSteven and Deuce66 like this.
  19. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

I thought Banshees was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen until I saw Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Anyway, I'm way too invested in these Oscars tomorrow.
    I don't wanna be but they're unfortunately the one last chance to bring proper recognition to the Elvis movie and Austin

20. Aldecoa

Aldecoa Forum Resident

I have it in the carnival scene as it seems to jarring in the beginning and technically they had that one line in the carnival scene. I have Blue Moon after, I can’t recall where in the film it was played perhaps a small snippet somewhere I missed? Also I have Craw-Fever after Austin’s Crawfish because I feel it flows well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    WinstonOno likes this.
  21. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Yeah, I looked up your playlist. That was just what I was wondering about with it when I did.

WinstonOno and Aldecoa like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I’ve seen it about 14 times, including last night in my hotel room, so obviously I beg to differ with you rather strongly, Lol.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I’ll second that motion, Lol. Both movies are extremely implausible and unrealistic as well. In Banshees, we have a struggling fiddle player with huge ambitions willing to cut off his own fingers to end a long term friendship. Sorry for the spoiler, but that’s the whole premise of the movie. Don’t even get me started on the fantasy comedy of Everything Everywhere All At Once.

WinstonOno, GillyT and Shawn like this.
  24. Price.pittsburgh

This is a great TikTok video let me know if you can't see it and I'll try to locate it elsewhere

Kyle Slingo | Facebook

WinstonOno likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Thanks for posting not only for the video which played flawlessly but also to prove Facebook's goofy inconsistencies in how I'm able to see this content and not have to login which Facebook has a problem with. They have my user name and the password in "dot" form but it can't find me in their system even though they let me get that far into their GUI interface.

Interesting video but I do wish they'ld take it down a notch on who should win the Oscar...Brendan Frazier or Austin Butler. It's not a contest!