40 years of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Mar 11, 2023.

1. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I gotta admit...I saw this when I was about 14 years-old and was well versed in the BBC series as well as a HUGE fan of And Now For Something Completely Different and Holy Grail, but I found this film...lacking.

Some of it was "Look at what we can do now with a real budget!" and some of it was just crude and puerile - like that sex education bit. On the BBC series, sexuality was implied, winked at, or done behind a screen, this was "Let me hop on top of my wife and y'all can watch because we're an R rated film!" It felt like they made a conscious decision to appeal to American audiences who were in the middle of a love affair with trashy sex comedies like Porky's.

And I thought the whole Mr. Creosote bit was stupid and overlong and might have been better served as animation.

Plus...everyone started to look old.

mBen989, aphexj and Chip TRG like this.
  2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

You don't like it?

[​IMG]

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Terry Jones mentioned in the commentary the editor Julian Doyle tried to convince him to have this be the ending which would've been quite the topper.

4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I haven't watched it since the 90s, but as a Python fan since before I was a teenager, I did greatly enjoy it and laughed quite a bit. It was certainly a step down from Holy Grail and Brian, and yes, it was disjointed like the TV series often was. Perhaps it could even have been titled "Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Movie" but at least they put effort into it.

The last time I watched, I did find the "Christmas in Heaven" scene a bit heavy-handed and obvious. But overall many huge laughs and a good send-off for Monty Python. I loved The Crimson Permanent Assurance and fell down laughing at the later "interruption" of the proper film by the moving office building and abrupt resolution. Python went out on a high note, and I think they knew that if they went back to the well again, it probably would have fallen flat.

wayneklein, Uncle Miles and mBen989 like this.
  5. I watched it in a local Showcase cinema on release. I was a huge Python fan and loved most of this movie. A couple of parts dragged a bit, but I still rate this one high.

mBen989 likes this.
  6. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I saw it at the University Of Arizona student theater, probably a year or so after it came out

Went back to see it again the next night. Both times a few people left during the vomit restaurant scene

mBen989 likes this.
  7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Saw it on pan-and-scan VHS when it went to video. Jarring contrast between the indie feel of Grail and this. Not every sketch worked, but the ones that did were grand slams. My grandpa, never a huge comedy fan, lost his mind laughing at Mr. Creosote. You never know!

Loved the stereo mix, with directional SFX. Later on, when I got a Dolby Stereo decoder, hearing the "Find The Fish" answering voices coming from the rear surround channels was awesome.

Dan

mBen989 and Spaghettiows like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Saw it early on in a theatre,
    very small crowd, i seemed
    to be the only one laughing.

Own it on dvd, have not watched
    it in a while

mBen989 likes this.
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Discounting the live 'concert' films - Hollywood Bowl and the London anniversary/reunion shows - this is the worse Python film. Much of the material is second rate for the group. It has the feel of a contractual obligation and seems to appeal to the loyalty of long time fans for its box office take.

mBen989 likes this.
  10. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Graham Chapman slaaaaaayed this

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, it more Dennis O’Brein convincing The Pythons to go into another film straight after Life of Brian.

Why The Meaning of Life wasn’t a HandMade film is another story.

12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

D’oh!

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Saw this back in 1983 on video and wasn't wild about it. I liked the prior Python movies and the TV show - and "Time Bandits"! - but "Meaning of Life" didn't work for me.

Bought the 4K on sale a few months back. First time I'd seen it since I was 16... and I was right about it back then.

Not a funny movie. Python on fumes - feels like self-parody most of the time.

Not devoid of laughs but feeble and uninspired 95% of the time.

mBen989 likes this.
  14. I just watched it the other day. The best sketches are great. There is too much chaff va. Wheat but it’s still got its fun moments.

it’s a step down from their best film Life of Brian.

mBen989 likes this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

...aaaand I just bought the 4K disc

DankFridge likes this.
  16. You’ll enjoy it. If you liked it before, don’t let others opinions on the film impact yours. I still find the best bits funny. Is it labored at times? Sure. It’s still fun and plays like an overextend episode of the series with as many strengths and weaknesses as their series.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

only those guys can make the most grotesque scenes hysterical! I love them...

18. Michael

I liked Meaning better...: )

19. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

It's my personal favorite Python film. It doesn't give a f$%#.

SgtPepper1983 and Michael like this.
  20. To each his own. Each have their merit. I just disagree with Colin that it’s 95% uninspired.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're right - it's only 60% uninspired.

It's 5% funny and 35% crap! ;) :D

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Bought it used on VHS tape sometime in the early 2000's. Kind of a letdown after Holy Grail and Life Of Brian.

I've come to appreciate it more over the years. The Blu-ray is quite the bargain, loaded with bonus features.

mBen989 likes this.
  23. Michael

I agree they both do...

24. Michael

it sure seems that way!

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You don't like it?

[​IMG]

mBen989 likes this.