"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have no idea what 63-50 means, Lol.

Austin has already had his moment. He got almost universal praise from critics, including many that didn't even love the film. He won several major Best Acting awards, including The Golden Globes and the BAFTA'a. He was a key ingredient to the huge success of Elvis, which ultimately grossed nearly $300 million dollars. Believe me, Austin is not crying in his beer tonight.

2. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Or, Fraser's performance was supported by the makeup. Like Hank's. Like Austin's. Without the performer, the prosthetics are nothing. Gary Oldman might agree with that.

And this is ignoring the fact Fraser gained a considerable amount of weight for the role in the first place. He didn't merely rock up to set, get into a costume and hope for the best.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  3. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Not sour grapes but there had to be some strong bias against "Elvis" as it applies to possible wins.

Yes, it was nominated for a lot and that's better than getting snubbed, I guess.

But to go 0-8, even in categories it was favored in by many "experts" such as Hair and Makeup, Costume Design and Actor, seems like it may have been an anti Elvis Presley thing.

For it to win 4 BAFTAs, 3 of which it was up for at the Oscars, and then lose all 3 of those and the rest of the categories, just seems odd.

Aldecoa, Shawn, WinstonOno and 4 others like this.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Really? Does one of the two main characters of Elvis (Tom Parker; who in some ways arguably is the main character of Elvis) not feature a very obvious fat suit and heavy head prosthetics for the entirety of the film? Or are we ignoring this fact because Hanks wasn't nominated for an Oscar himself?

Oatsdad and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  5. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

Have you seen the transformation video of Fraser? He wasn't that heavy and the amount of prosthetics and makeup is excessive. By leaps more than the scenes I referenced by Austin. Give Fraser a similar script about a slim depressed gay guy who wants to do right by his daughter and he blends into the mix.

Price.pittsburgh and RSteven like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Matthew has a history of trolling Elvis threads with negative comments about Elvis or fans that like parts of Elvis's career that he doesn't like. It is really best to ignore him as he seems to thrive on the discord. Every now and then, he will say something positive about Elvis to make it look like he is being objective.

905, Shawn, WinstonOno and 2 others like this.
  7. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

There’s no The Whale without the grotesque fat suit. That’s the performance; that’s the entirety of the movie.

There’s still an Elvis movie even if Hanks isn’t wearing a fat suit, it’s just less historically true.

8. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Well, Hanks is playing a real guy who was overweight, and have you not noticed the hypocrisy over Hanks fat suit vs Fraser's?

Hanks tweaks his voice and wins the Razzie and is blasted all season.

Fraser deepens his voice in a bigger fat suit playing a fictional character and wins the Oscar. Not to mention SAG and Critics Choice

9. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I don't think there's any anti-Elvis thing at play, as in Elvis Presley himself (though how some fans have responded to the movie, you'd think Elvis Presley starred in it himself, which might actually explain some of the online reaction out there to the results). I'd say if there were any "anti", it would be more about Baz Lurhmann.

Regarding Hair and Makeup, honestly when I watched the movie I was shocked at the inconsistency in quality. In some scenes they did remarkable work, in others Austin looked like he had obviously stuck on sideburns. I can see why the award went elsewhere.

Costume Design, that's a tough one. Though I'm surprised Wakanda Forever won that category on the other hand all those costumes are completely original designs, no? Costuming is probably the only category in my mind that Elvis might have had a deserving chance in, because the work done to replicate Elvis' wardrobe is quite remarkable. But what is being awarded here? The ability to accurate replicate? The ability to create all new costuming (like Wakanda Forever?) Both? I don't know what gave the edge to Wakanda Forever but perhaps the originality of those designs had something to do with it.

Out of all of this I am glad from a fan perspective that a movie about Elvis Presley had garnered so much mainstream attention, and if that opens up new listeners to the music of Elvis Presley, I'm all for it. And it will always be able to say "Nominated for 8 Academy Awards".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Ah well, such is life. Still, it's been a helluva ride guys! :cheers:

Nothing will beat turning up at my local cinema and having the young guy behind the counter enthusiastically recommend that I go see 'Elvis'. That Baz engineered a change in the way Elvis is perceived is undeniable. An enjoyable movie, great soundtrack...

One thing is for certain, I'm going to have to try watching EEAAO again! :laugh: As for Austin Butler, he's got a great future ahead of him. I'll be checking out his upcoming films for sure.

12. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I just meant that with BAFTA going as they did it seemed odd.

Also, in the States, far more than abroad, the BS revisionism of Elvis Presley is still strong.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It also helps considering the reactions to this are either "Austin didn't capture Elvis at all, go check out the real thing instead" or "Austin nailed it, and you can appreciate that by watching the real thing."

Win-win. :D

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This has gotta stop RSteven, I have PM'd you.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Absolutely. There's no doubting the passion Baz Luhrmann had for the subject, and that this has brought positive attention to Elvis Presley's music.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Very disappointing night but tbh my original excitement over Elvis and Austin was way before I thought about awards. I was much more interested in it being a financial success. In that regard at the box office, POV and disc it has The Whale beat by a lot

Aldecoa, WinstonOno and RSteven like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have had to put said member on my ignore list. This is the very first time I have had to do that on this forum, but he is now trying to harass me with PM's.

905 and Crack To The Egg like this.
  18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've seen no evidence of trolling in this thread from Matthew's observation based opinions which I agree with.

That doesn't mean I didn't like the Elvis movie especially since my prostate wanted me to see it twice to the end paying double admission.

If you can't come up with new observation based opinions about the Elvis movie there's plenty of other threads to suggest ill intent behind a poster's difference of opinion.

MichaelH and Matthew like this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Good for you and you can continue to interact with him. This has been going on with him for years with other Elvis threads, not just this one. I refuse to further engage with such hostility and nonsense. My wife is in the ICU with heart failure and I no longer have any patience for his games. I am fine with people disagreeing with me, but I don't like it when it gets personal or condescending.

905 likes this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

What was more disappointing to me about the Oscar results were the number of movies nominated in a number of categories I haven't heard of nor do I plan to see. I'm certainly not going to see The Whale which is a depressing subject on obesity.

And what's with the short clips shown on all the talk shows promoting these movies that make me even more uninterested to go see in the theater?

PH416156 and RSteven like this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Not strictly anti-Elvis. Would've been the same for a Mick Jagger biopic.

I'm really sorry for Butler, Luhrmann, his wife and the hair and makeup artists that made a stellar job on "Elvis".

The thing with Oscars is, and such has been for a number of years: gotta give awards to film representing certain categories, eg disability (Coda last year, Sound of metal a few yars ago, The Whale this year). Been mostly a political thing for years.
    There are "categories" that have to get an award, no matter what.

Just scroll the list of the past 10+ years winners

WinstonOno and RSteven like this.
  22. Tim Lookingbill

Use the ignore button. Much easier.

RSteven likes this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oh, no. Horrible. Best of luck to her and please accept my wishes for a full recovery

MichaelH and RSteven like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I actually did after he PM me with more hostility. The very first time I have had to put somebody on ignore as a member of this forum for almost six years.

905 and Shawn like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Thank you my friend. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made by her in the next few days and weeks ahead, if we can get her out of the cardiac ICU at OHSU in Portland. This thread topic is usually a great diversion from the stress. Man, those Oscar Awards were a disappointment tonight. My lady even called me from her room to try to cheer me up, Lol.

MichaelH, 905, Shawn and 2 others like this.