95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

The problem is that, while both incredibly talented individuals, neither role probably deserved an Oscar. Then it becomes a contest of who deserves a lifetime recognition award.

Bassett’s reaction didn’t help matters. I understand she was disappointed, but it costs nothing to applaud your peers.

Bulsara and PH416156 like this.
  2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

To me, what Angela Basset did showed a true lack of professionalism. I highly doubt Jamie Lee Curtis would’ve done the same thing if the outcome was reversed.

3. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

I liked EEAAO and think Yeoh and Quan deserved their wins (even two years ago who would've ever predicted the guy who played Short Round would get an Oscar?), but I kind of agree. Jamie Lee's was more of a lifetime achievement award recognizing a highly successful 45 year long career that never really got her due by the Academy before than it was solely based on her performance in that movie, but at the same time I also think Bassett would've been a consolation "we knew you were really good in What's Love Got To Do With It, please accept this as an apology" type of award, but those sort of awards happen all the time almost every year.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Don't know if anyone mentioned it (I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see it), but for me the lowlight was the pointless ADVERTISEMENT for The Little Mermaid remake. That had zero business being part of the ceremony. I turned to my friends and said "Let's see now, who is the parent company of ABC?" when that happened.

Pizza, Jim Pattison, rod and 7 others like this.
  5. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

Angela Bassett deservers some kind of an award just for doing a love scene with Bob Dylan in Masked and Anonymous

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  6. And I thought this years Academy Awards was one of the best show in years.

I saw Everything Everwhere in a theater and even though I enjoyed some of it, I thought it was a big mess, but I get why it won.

My favorite films were Tar, the Meal and RRR. And they couldn’t be more different.

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

A true lack of professionalism? It's not like all nominees who don't win always smile and clap. Since the split-screen started in the early 1970s, dozens haven't clapped . Some glowered. Bill Murray glowered and didn't clap in 2004. People need to stop inventing things to be outraged about. Not winning is surely disappointing. It's not like she threw a fit or did a Kanye. She just stared and didn't clap. No big deal, IMO.

Rotary Connection and audiomixer like this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I thought so, too. ABC and the Academy need to ask Jimmy Kimmel to come back next year.

brownie61 and Mazzy like this.
  9. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

Why were there MGM films (2001, Wizard of Oz) in the montage celebrating Warner Brothers 100th anniversary?

MoonPool likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

They bought the rights to those movies.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The Menu?

brownie61, Mazzy and audiomixer like this.
  12. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

If you buy a house, does that make you the builder?

It's not as if there aren't scores of classic WB they could have used instead.

It's weird historical revisionism.

Shambolicus likes this.
  13. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Wait until you hear about Star Wars and Disney.

vince, Shambolicus, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Good show. Wasn't on the EEAAO bandwagon so I wasn't a fan of all the awards it got. Some years a film just grabs all the attention like EEAAO did this year. History has a way of deciding if they were all deserved. My favorite award was when the song for RRR won.

MoonPool, Chris DeVoe and Mazzy like this.
  15. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

and Bill was criticized for his behavior in 2004 as well. I think the controversy is because Jamie Lee shows to be a very gracious person and she would've stood up for Angela because that's the type of person she is. And there are people in Hollywood publicly consoling Angela for this horrible travesty of losing to a peer of hers? Angela is an excellent actress but these people know they have cameras in their face that the best thing to do is grin and clap even if you're secretly thinking "that b****!!!" internally

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Shoulda been Matt Damon! ;)

mrjinks and carrick doone like this.
  17. Oatsdad

I'm dumb! Not like everybody says - like smart. I'm dumb, and I don't want respect!

18. Oatsdad

Blue Steel, eh?

[​IMG]

19. Oatsdad

You mean "The Menu"?

Mazzy likes this.
  20. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

you don’t remember starting dark side of the moon right when you see the WB shield?

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Agreed. The moment I lost a race when I was a runner in high school and college I never failed to smile politely and applaud the winner. Gimme a break.

22. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I really have no complaints EEAAO winning best film. I thought it’s so so, but it’s obviously resonated with a lot of people.

I do have to complain that Tar won nothing. That movie really was incredible. Cate really should have won that award. To me its *almost* like not giving Daniel Day Lewis the Oscar playing Daniel Plainview. She was that good.

And Banshees (my 2nd fav) should have won best screenplay. It’s perfection. I haven’t seen The Whale so I can’t compare, but Colin was definitely deserving for his role. And Kerry should have won best supporting actress.

fab4ever and RSteven like this.
  23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

MGM slaps the lion logo on nearly every film and TV series they own the rights to.

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's the New America. Haven't you gotten memo yet? It started with the new wave of politicians. Lying is now the truth.

SirCandy likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I liked that they kept the audience mics mixed up pretty far down, keeping it from turning it into a popularity contest.

pjc1, ky658 and a customer like this.