Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 16, 2022.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You noticed this too! :biglaugh:

There are three issues at work here.

One, is the lack of realization that boys will often represent a different type of demographic than girls of the same age.

Two, instead of making movies for the existing market audience, Disney has taken it upon themselves to produce content the way they want to.

Three, they appear to be completely disconnected that the concept of family programming includes the approval and participation of the parents.

There exists kind of a myth today that movies and stories from past days have not had strong female characters. This is so far from the truth.

Consider Darla, Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Hayley Mills, Pippi Longstocking, Mary Poppins, Sigourney Weaver, Gena Davis, Emma Watson, Kristen Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence, Carrie Fisher, Natalie Portman, Millie Bobby Brown, etc.

Nothing at all wrong with the characters these actresses portrayed. Their movies all did well. The reason is that all of these movies treated the other characters in their movies with equal dignity. They treated the audiences with that same degree of dignity.

Disney today, has abandoned its core values. They thought they were invincible. The box office numbers prove otherwise...

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Captain Marvel was only successful as it was set between the two big films and people thought they needed to see it.

SandAndGlass and MichaelH like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought "Captain Marvel" was a fun film. It would've been a hit even without the "between 2 big films" thing because it was good.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

I saw it because I hadn't seen any of other MCU movies and I wanted to catch one before Endgame.

Suffice it to say, that audiences will not be attending another movie where Brie Larson is in the starring role as Captain Marvel. If they do release another. They will be calling it, Captain Marvel: Quantium Eraser. Because it will make the box office receipts vanish, poof!

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"The Marvels" has been on the release schedule for a long time.

With Brie Larson.

Comes out in November.

Will do just fine at the box office.

Stormrider77 and maui jim like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

7. SandAndGlass

We will see??? I predict that nothing with Brie Larson's name prominently attached to it will make any money.

As to which of us is right? We will find out later this year.

In the meantime, I predict a mermaid sinking...

8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

not true in anyway...people are not going to throw money , at something for that reason.....Gender issues? on your end , possibly?

audiomixer likes this.
  9. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

It did get bumped back,no?

10. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Stormrider77 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

^ ^ ^
    That says it all about this post.

Oatsdad and brucewayneofgotham like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

It might not be so much as the sandwiched between two movies as it is sandwiched within an otherwise successful franchise.

I would surmise that many had high expectations for the movie. I doubt that most had any real gender issues, prior to seeing the movie.

However, after sitting through 2:03 of Brie Larson's on screen personality, many will opt for not revisiting the experience...

13. SandAndGlass

Yes, Fort Lauderdale, "Where the Boys Are". Although the phrase has garnered a bit different meaning over the past six decades...

Perhaps you are familiar with its Mayor?

East Tennessee, You might have heard of Dolly Parton? She has helped built the area into a fantastic family destination. Lots of live "family friendly" shows. Not your typical Hollywood fare...

14. audiomixer

Sorry, but the term “family friendly” when used as you are using it sounds highly bigoted. Very “woke”. (Another word I hate.)

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  15. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I think he’s virtue signaling again.

16. SandAndGlass

You're funny...

17. audiomixer

100 percent!

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  18. audiomixer

And you, sir, are not at all.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  19. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I thought Captain Marvel was okay, not great, but Brie Larson was just fine in the role. I liked her Captain Marvel more in Endgame, where she showed more personality in five minutes of screen time than in her own film. That was the result of the Captain Marvel script, though, where she was asked to be a kind of amnesiac blank slate for much of the film.

I really loved Ms. Marvel. It was a fun, funny, exciting and family friendly series that checked all of the right boxes. I'm hoping that spirit carries over to The Marvels.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Captain Spokesmodel.

SandAndGlass and audiomixer like this.
  21. audiomixer

Oh, and by the way, one of our "family friendly' southern states is thinking of instituting the death penalty for woman who don't follow certain laws. I just read it in the news today. Now that's what I call "family unfriendly." Ya gotta love self-righteous people. Yeehaw!

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The problem that's affecting the recent Marvel films at the box office is the fact that Disney is churning them out too quickly, not giving the writers, SFX crew, and the rest sufficient time to make the movies the best they can be.

drufty, audiomixer and McLover like this.
  23. audiomixer

Yep, blame Hollywood for all of this country's and your entertainment woes. :crazy: :biglaugh:
    Exactly!

24. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

What is your problem with Brie Larson? I'm not a MCU fan at all, but I thought Captain Marvel was a lot of fun until they started the (typical) MCU cgi fest near the end.

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. audiomixer

That's just one of his many, many problems it seems. :agree:

John Moschella likes this.