95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I couldn't make it through the Oscar-Winning Best Picture as I posted in another thread (maybe I'll try again)... that being said, I'm okay with the many wins it received, particularly for Michelle Yeoh, who I felt should have won for CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON in 2001 (even though she wasn't even nominated)! I wanted Austin Butler to win, but I'm not mad at Brendan Fraser winning it (though I have no interest in seeing the movie)... Why does Lady Gaga always have to come across as so self-important in everything she does? Angela Basset clearly bought into the hype she was going to win an award... and finally, I am thrilled with the song winner, which just brings me (grumpy old man me) such joy!

2. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

at first I did not realize that was the same redhead actress who was in Oblivion. Her appearance changed a lot with short hair

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

5. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Haven't read the thread.
    Haven't watched an Oscar telecast in 30 years, but my wife will time-shift and zip through the tedium.

We do actually attend films.
    Only two we saw were Elvis and Banshees.
    No interest in any of the others, especially after our disappointment in the above.
    Decided to cut our losses.

Our take on Banshees was identical to yours.
    Only positive takeaway from the awards is it was skunked.
    She did get a kick from the donkey coming out, we both thought she was the only sympathetic character in the film.

Wife enjoyed Elvis, I did not. Frantic filming style, soundtrack annoyingly loud at our theater showing.

Her comment on the best actor winner is he looked so miserable she expected him to go home and hang himself.

MikaelaArsenault and a customer like this.
  6. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Almost every year The Academy omits people from their "In Memoriam" segment, I don't know why it's so difficult, this time it was Paul Sorvino, Stella Stevens, Anne Heche and Robert Blake, your joke fell flat on that last one Jimmy Kimmel! :realmad:

905, MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My daughter was equally concerned about Brendan's mental state after watching his speech accepting the award.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. He had been through quite an ordeal with his career being sidelined for a while after the whole Golden Globes relegation and what happened there. I thought he appreciated that he had been recognized. It was his ‘you really like me’ moment with more emotional complication.

9. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Somebody unearthed video of Michelle Yeoh from 1984. Shortly after losing Miss World, she went to Australia where she was named 'Miss Moomba'. So the Oscar was not her first win!

By the way, she was Miss Malaysia in the 1983 Miss World contest. At the same contest and the same year, future film superstar Maggie Cheung represented Hong Kong. Neither won.

[​IMG]

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sad (and long) list of famous actors and celebs omitted from the "In Memoriam" segment...

[​IMG]

I recognized all of them without much trouble. Paul Sorvino is an especially egregious omission.

11. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Angela Basset didn’t seem to applaud for any of the winners. That reaction, or lack thereof, wasn’t limited to JLC.

Are there really people who don’t understand that Banshees of Inisherin is a metaphor?

12. ~dave~~wave~

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Not fans, so unaware of the context.
    Certainly do remember Sally Fields' little moment, perfect analogy to explain to this old codger. :tiphat:

13. ~dave~~wave~

Of course we can see that now, in retrospect.
    My little rant was over the top.

In our case, we watched it the second day it started streaming, before we'd seen any reviews that might have prepared us for the bizarre violence.
    Unfortunate timing.
    We didn't think we were sitting down to watch Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes The Barley.
    At worst expecting perhaps Jim Sheridan's The Field, only funnier?

No disrespect to the artists making the film they intended, maybe our visceral reaction was what they hoped for.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

They should just feature actors and directors in the In Memoriam section on TV and relegate the rest online. I know I sound like a terrible person but I don't think we need Production Designers in the TV segment.

MichaelH, phillyal1 and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  15. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

The two later worked together with Anita Mui (“the Madonna of the East”) on The Heroic Trio, which inspired by Tim Burton’s Batman is one of the greatest camp superheroes movies ever made.
    [​IMG]

AppleBonker likes this.
  16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I loved "Everything Everywhere All At Once", and am glad it one best picture. It was unique & thought provoking, and I had the least grips with it vs. others I saw. That being said, it seems to be an ensemble movie, where the sum is greater than the parts. I don't know if the individual performances were necessarily worthy over others nominiees who elevated their movies on their own.

My biggest disappointment with regard to the results was Barry Keoghan not winning Best Supporting Actor. His performance in "Banshees" made me feel something that has stayed with me, even watching the brief nomination clips. I would even have given the award to Judd Hirsch or Brendan Gleeson before Ke Huy Quan.

Although I haven't seen their films, based even just on the nomination clips shown on the night, I also suspect Andrea Riseborough & Bill Nighy were robbed. I really want to see those films now. But the EEAAO juggernaught was too big to stop on Sunday.

I also want to see the animation winners & the short winners. Hopefully I'll have the chance.

brownie61 likes this.
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

As someone who a) owns not one , but two best of Bollywood CD comps, b) used to watch Bollywood movies on Saturday mornings on one of our local cable channels , I have to say that like Mike Myers in "the Love Guru", I appreciate Bollywood movies and music for their kitsch value only. That is a horrible song. I don't care it was big on Tic-Tok.
    Nothing Bollywood needs to be recognized by the Oscars -- they have their own multi-billion dollar film industry.

18. poppys

poppys Senior Member

Wah! - great dance with visual energy - package win.

19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

She really is a class act, ain't she? :righton:

PH416156 likes this.
  20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

And Philip Baker Hall...

Vidiot and 905 like this.
  21. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

That number was a highlight of the show. It brought a burst of energy just went the ceremony really needed it.

MichaelH, Spitfire, brownie61 and 3 others like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

How beautiful must the winner have been if these two women were losers?

AppleBonker, 905, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  23. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I don’t think owning two CD compilations of Bollywood music gives you the right to look down your nose at a whole industry. India has produced some truly great films, like 3 Idiots.

Also, the song is a banger. It may not be your cup of tea, but you’re literally the first person I’ve heard that didn’t like it.

pghmusiclover, MichaelH, Raf and 2 others like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've seen all of them, and every animated short was better than the one that won, which was pile of tripe.

All the live action and documentary shorts were deserving, and I would have been happy with any of them, although I have to confess the one about the people keeping the elephants was our favorite.

brownie61 and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  25. I thought RRR was the best film of the year. Or at least my fave