"The Last Of Us" TV series. WARNING: Spoilers within..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

But maybe the cordyceps spread more in hotter tropical climates?

Dubmart likes this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Please tell me a scenario in real life where someone has to die to find a cure.
    I NEVER put my blind trust in any doctor I know in real life. I always question. And that applies to the show.

And the very fact that they didn't ask Ellie what she thought was a crime in of itself. Without consent, what they were about to do was murder her.
    So, he's a hero.

cleandan, aroney, timind and 4 others like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Fireflies were murdering a child and threatened to kill Joel, I hope Joel killed the nurses as well, and they just didn't show us, don't leave loose ends, I don't see any moral ambiguity, the Fireflies were the bad guys, Joel was in the right.

Regarding the short time it took them to decide to dissect Ellie's brain, I'd assume the hospital had an MRI or other form of scanner which may still have been serviceable once power was restored, may even have been a contributory factor in leaving the university site, better medical facilities.

timind likes this.
  4. jojopuppyfish

I don't know if they are the bad guys.
    They had a moral intent. But the way they handled it was ethically wrong.
    Ellie needed to make the final decision. And they needed a full discussion with everyone including the doctors to list the pros and cons.

OT: I've been watching this first season at the same time I watched the first 3 seasons of Walking Dead. This show is 10x better. And its said how I'm gradually watching Walking Dead turn into a slow moving plot soap opera. while The Last of Us, is very cerebral.

timind and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Even though they weren't Fireflies, Kansas City showed us that just because FEDRA are bad guys doesn't make those against them any better or good guys, the Fireflies seem to believe and act like they know best and have humanity's best interests at heart, I don't think we've seen any evidence to support that, so they are just another organised armed group, one that commits acts of terrorism and will happily kill children or anyone who stands in their way. It's interesting that the only large group that seems to be doing things right includes ex Fireflies such as Joel's brother and appears to be run along more communal lines than the obviously hierarchical Fireflies structure, lest we forget power corrupts.

lazydawg58 and timind like this.
  6. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

...this isn't real life. It's a post apocalyptic (fictional) world.

Not saying what they did was ethical, but there are a lot of gray areas in this fictional universe. To automatically call Joel a "hero" is a stretch. The whole point of the episode is that nobody seems to be completely virtuous here.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Just saw a Tik Tok of the hospital scene from the game and it as pretty much verbatim other than you are the one that has to shoot everyone.

mr. steak likes this.
  8. jojopuppyfish

There are certain rules within every movie and tv show: explicit and implied.
    And you either believe them as plausible or you don't.
    Based on our society, you ask someone if they want to sacrifice their brain and life for the greater good.
    If you don't ask them and get their consent, then its murder.
    And Joel is a hero because he got her out of there and saved her life.
    Lying to her was wrong, however.

aroney likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Very little about this show has to do with 'real life.' That allows the audience to be in the same position as Joel. What would WE do and how do we feel about his decision.

If you want real life I suggest watching Chernobyl, also written by Craig Mazin. Actually, even though this is real life, they are faced with decisions that no human has ever had to make...

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. Holler Wanderer

I'm not saying what the Fireflies did wasn't wrong. But Joel also committed murder (many many times). The point of the show is moral ambiguity and to make you feel uncomfortable about it.

11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Your points are irrelevant. And it's OK to murder people if doing so would save humanity.

And because he committed these heinous, evil acts, we now pretty much know what Joel's fate is going to be (he's definitely dying; just a matter now of when).

12. Holler Wanderer

I wouldn't go this far lol. But I would sacrifice my life to possibly save humanity. Why didn't the Fireflies just ask her though? (she would have said yes, based on her character development thus far).

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As others have pointed out, there is no guarantee that cutting up Ellie's brain will produce a vaccine, even if it does, there are huge hurdles to overcome to mass produce and distribute that vaccine and the biggest threat to humanity appears to be other humans rather than the fungi.

Ere, aroney and jojopuppyfish like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

While of course we cannot assume a certainty, the show made clear that this is a likelihood. As a an audience podering the moral issue, we have to assume that it probably would save humanity. The writers could have had either Marlene or Joel comment on an unlikelihood of this being successful - if this was something to be seriously considered by the audience - but they did not. Those inventing this issue are IMO doing so to justify c0ntinuing to root for Joel, because they know he committed some objectively horrible sh--t otherwise.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This comes up a lot in Craig Mazin's other HBO show, Chernobyl.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

The show wont last without Joel.

aroney likes this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think season two may be about the growing conflict between Joel and Ellie. I knew the basics of season one because my son didn't think I'd watch the show and told me most of it, but he hasn't told me anything about part 2 of the game.

18. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

My comment as credits rolled on finale:

So, that’s it ?

great production values, but I’m very underwhelmed by it all.

mr. steak and Shawn like this.
  19. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

How do you cure someone with a turnip for a head?

20. Holler Wanderer

You don't. They were saying that the cure would prevent the infected from attacking the non-infected.

21. Yeah, can’t say I’ll subscribe to HBO+ when the next season comes out unless there’s something else worthwhile on it at the same time.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The idea was to develop a prophylactic type of vaccine that would make healthy people immune. No way to administer it to a monster. But the entire premise is silly as biotherapies need to be refrigerated, distributed, tested, mass-produced and administered to everyone. With no infrastructure, that is impossible, even if such a therapeutic could be invented (big if). So Joel's instinct to get Ellie out of there was exactly right. Unfortunately, the show failed to explain why he was right, and so we're left with a problematic lie. Awkward.

aroney likes this.
  23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The season ended with the end of the game. There is a second game that takes over from here.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

We're not supposed to talk about the game(s) here but the 2nd game doesn't really take over from there. It takes over many years after the events we just saw.

25. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

It should only last two seasons anyway. Anything beyond that is just milking it.

nutsfortubes likes this.