95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I see it as many as three Indian films a week, and absolutely loved Naatu Naatu.

2. Chris DeVoe

While Bollywood films tend to be melodramas (and any British colonialist portrayed in them will be a mustache twirling bastard) the Indian film industry has been producing some really amazing films over the last decade or so, and even going into areas where Hollywood fears to tread.

Like last year's Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui, where a man and woman fall in love, and then he discovers that she was born a boy. The only Hollywood films about transsexual characters have been used as comic relief, like John Lithgow in The World According to Garp or tragedy like in Boys Don't Cry. They never get to live happily ever after.

Dan C, Crack To The Egg and poppys like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

We've seen RRR three times in the theater, and it's just ridiculously fun.

Mazzy and Crack To The Egg like this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I also thought his performance was great, and I was rooting for him to win Best Supporting Actor. I thought all the performances in Banshees of Inisherin were great, even though I did not like the film overall.

The short that won was the only one in that category I did not see. Of the other nominees, I thought An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It was head and shoulders above the rest of them. I watched it three times!

jpelg and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:wave:

phillyal1 and Crack To The Egg like this.
  6. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

To be fair, you’re a contrary fella sometimes. ;)

MichaelH and Spitfire like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No I'm not! :D

I never heard the song until the Oscars and had no biases for/against it.

Just thought it was... annoying.

But still better than that Gawd-awful "EEAAO" song!

Crack To The Egg and phillyal1 like this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

"This Is a Life" was marred by obvious technical problems, plus the original female vocalist, Mitski, wasn't there for some reason. I'm thinking her replacement, Stephanie Hsu (from the film) may have been a last-minute addition. The song plays much better in the film.

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  9. Crack To The Egg

Yeah, Mitski is probably retiring, at the very least from playing live. I think she’s a little freaked out by her fans who want to treat her like a Lady Gaga like figure, even going so far to scream “mom” and “mommy” during her concerts.

Stephanie Hsu is not amateur, but she was clearly nervous and off her game, likely because of a lack of practice.

10. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

Question: why?

11. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I own Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle records and have seen the most famous of the "playback singers" Kishore Kumar in concert.
    I will repeat -- there is a very thriving film industry in India. I agree with Paul Schrader -- the Oscars are a celebration of Hollywood (not Bollywood ).

12. Crack To The Egg

Foreign films have been honored at the Oscars and even nominated for best picture since Grand Illusion in 1938. With all due respect to Schrader, he wasn’t even born when the Oscars first nominated a foreign film.

And again, owning a bunch of records doesn’t really impact the weight of your opinion.

13. Chris DeVoe

India is producing so many films, and so many innovative films like Iravin Nizhal - a 100 minute long musical, shot in a single long take that is the first single shot non-linear film - that sometime within the next 5 years they will produce a film that will be one of the 10 Best Picture nominees.

This is the sort of thing that Kubrick would be doing if he was still alive.

14. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

Mitski does this a lot between her album eras. She deleted all her socials after the Be The Cowboy album/tour was over and only came back when she was ready to start Laurel Hell's era

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  15. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Because he's probably the best host there is besides Billy Crystal.

16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I hadn't heard any of the songs before the show either and thought they all were pretty good, though personally I would have given it to Lady Gaga's song simply because her performance of it was the best of the night. I'm generally not a Gaga fan in the least, but Sunday night she actually looked like a real person instead of some freak show, and her song had great emotion in it too.

phillyal1, RSteven and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  17. Cause he has been the best in years.

MichaelH likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. Everyone who dislikes the film.