Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

My all-time favorite film. 1000/10

I missed a showing at AMC the other day, sadly.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The House That Dripped Blood.

Early 70's anthology thingy.

Very watchable thanks to a decent cast.

The final segment with a very Dr Who like Pertwee hamming it up is perhaps the highlight.

7.5/10

Derek Slazenger and unclefred like this.
  3. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

I’m Fine (Thanks for Asking) (2021)

A recently widowed mother finds herself homeless, living in a tent with her young daughter in Pacoima, CA. She’s $200 short of the deposit she needs for an apartment and the film follows her as she tries to raise the money. Against the odds it’s a funny, engaging film that tells a simple story well.

9/10

brownie61 and Gasman1003 like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Revenge' - a 1990 Kevin Costner film with Anthony Quinn and Madeline Stowe.

Zero chemistry between the leads and a generic storyline make this a 2/10.

a customer and RSteven like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I don’t usually see the Oscar-nominated short films but I watched a few of them yesterday that stream for free on YouTube and Vimeo.

I want to single out the 11 minute animated film An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It

This is a unique twist on stop motion animation and is absolutely hilarious. It is head and shoulders above the other three I watched that are nominated in that category and is well worth 11 minutes of your time. I hope it wins tonight!

10/10

wolfram, unclefred and Gasman1003 like this.
  6. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Independence Day- 7/10

I'd seen bits and pieces before but this was my first time watching the whole thing. Very corny but very entertaining. Jeff Goldblum was great as usual. Will Smith was annoying as usual. Lots of explosions and lots of melodrama. Easy to see why it was such a huge hit.

Gonna watch the sequel next.

brownie61, Gasman1003 and Spitfire like this.
  7. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Prey (2022).
    5/10.
    Glowing reviews, but it's a low budget, second rate movie. Very disappointing.

unclefred likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

You may wanna hold off on that.

Boom Operator and formu_la like this.
  9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The Astronauts wife. 1999
    Johnny Depp Charlize Theron
    5/10.

She has husband problems like in the
    Devils advocate

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  10. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nah. Gonna watch it, just out of curiosity. I wanna see how it differs from the first one, even if it's (undoubtedly) worse. I'm not expecting much. I watch bad movies all the time. If it's REALLY boring I might switch it off (and read its plot on Wikipedia just to learn what happens), but if it's just bad I'll watch it.

(Yes, I'm a huge MST3K fan.)

11. I watched two last night:

Village of the Damned (1960) - 6.5/10 Stars. I had never seen it before and I was immediately struck by how much influence this film must have had on George Romero. Not only that, but this lean film, clocking in at 1hr 17min, must have had an affect on Rod Serling, as well, as an exercise in trimming the fat to provide a concise narrative.

This is a really good film.

Plus, George Sanders was a god of acting. I don't think he ever gave a poor performance.

Seven Samurai (1954) - I had never seen this one either. You know, so many classics, so little time. So, I asked Mary Jane if she wanted to watch it with me, and since she never disagrees, it was a lock. Wow, what a film!

All of the hubbub is well deserved. The directing was amazing, the cinematography a masterwork, the setting and story was superb. My only niggles is that the acting could be hot 'n' cold, depending on the performer, but mostly it was on-point. I try to put myself in the time period in which the film was made, so it's not like I didn't catch the homage to Japanese stage traditions. The film was both modern and timeless.

Oh, and I should probably mention the worst bald wigs I've ever seen in my life. At first, it was super distracting, but then I quit looking, so it all evened out.

I bet we'll end up seeing the 2017 4K restoration sooner, rather than later. It seems to me that it would probably come out in the UK from BFI, first. This would be an instant buy for me.

9.2/10

MrCJF, Gasman1003 and brownie61 like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

You may want to check out 'Children Of The Damned'.
    Not as good but not bad.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I thought you meant Aidan Quinn for a moment, and I was thinking that he and Stowe would be right up there with Andi McDowell as some of the dullest actors in Hollywood.

I guess some could say the same for Costner, but I adore the guy. Eh what are ya gonna do? :p

14. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Everly- 8/10

Salma Hayek vs. assassins sent to kill (or torture) her. I thought this was gonna be a generic shoot-'em-up but it didn't take long to realize this was something much more unique, twisted, violent, and gruesome. The whole film takes place in an apartment building, almost entirely in just a couple of rooms, so it's kind of like a filmed play. Plenty of (very) dark humor, but unfortunately, a bit of sappiness too. Recommended if you like Hayek and/or graphic violence.

15. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Saving Private Ryan

Not nearly as powerful on repeated viewings. I do like the "Am I a good man?" postscript, though I seem to be in the minority on that one. Speilberg was very much inspired by Richard Attenborough for this and Schindler's List. Though Attenborough had to build a field of 16,000 white crosses for his more metaphysical final shot of Oh, What A Lovely War.

6/10

16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Rebound the legend of earl the goat manigault 1996. I've been looking for this movie for awhile. 9/10
    Found it on you tube

Reminds me of the Connie Hawkins book foul .

HBO made some good films
    Rasputin
    Citizen X

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  17. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Aliens

10/10

EVOLVIST, RSteven and Spitfire like this.
  18. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Independence Day: Resurgence- 7/10

Same formula as the first one and plenty of copycat scenes and characters, but with a bit more humor and a bit less sappiness. Not enough Jeff Goldblum, even though he had a pretty prominent role. Cool special effects. Best thing about this sequel is that Will Smith is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    unclefred likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) - Turner Classic Movies

9/10

Classic film noir directed by John Huston about a jewel heist. Short but memorable early appearance by Marilyn Monroe.

[​IMG]

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lets Kill Ward's Wife...surreal off the wall black comedy.
    5/10

21. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

The Whale; 6/10. It had its moments, Fraser's deservedly Oscar-winning performance chief among them, but other parts were too Hollywood for me.

22. Wildest cat from montana

Great movie. Love the ending.

Spitfire likes this.
  23. hoss

hoss Forum Resident

Yes !! Watched it two nights ago..... was completely underwhelmed - 2 hours I'll never get back.... I've heard better dialogue and more believable acting watching General Hospital.... Yeah Fraser was ok, but I prefer him in The Mummy.... 4/10

Boom Operator and Bhobb like this.
  24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Watched Forbidden Planet and The Time Machine - those classics. They seemed corny to me now, though I really liked the curved titles and 'electric tonalities' on Forbidden Planet. Some of the settings in The Time Machine reminded me of Logan's Run, which made me wonder, if that is ever going to be remade?

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Best In Show

A rewatch. Now I think Spinal Tap is the best comedy ever made. This isn't on that level but it's still brilliant and I found myself laughing out loud often. The improvising is just spot on and the characters are great. Sometimes the jokes don't land for me in Guest films but they all do here.

There is no way they could make this film today for some obvious reasons, which is really quite sad.

9/10