95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If I'm not mistaken, I may have been the first person on this site to suggest that it was a metaphor for the Irish Civil War.

That said, it's an unpleasant one that I don't wish to ever watch again despite being a fan of all the actors in it, as well as loving some of the other films the director did, like In Bruges.

2. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

What is RRR?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The film the best original song winner ‘Naatu Naatu’ is from.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

A Telegu language Indian film set in the 1920s. The poster includes the words "Rise Roar Revolt" but it doesn't really stand for anything. It's a fantasy about two real people - Alluri Sita Ramaraju and Komaram Bheem - who fought the British but never met in real life.

Basically it's an action film/musical (historically most Indian films are musicals) that has enough action to make the average Mission Impossible film look downright sedate.

5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If you have Netflix, search for it. It was a fun watch with my daughter a while back.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The sound Angela Bassett made when Jamie Lee Curtis won the Oscar.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is the reason I loved watching this year's Oscar Awards show so much...

[​IMG]

SJP, razerx, Raf and 11 others like this.
  9. What’s with all this external links ? :tiphat:

10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

of all the interviews I have seen of Angela Bassett over the years, humility is something that she hasn't let learned how to fake :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I'm not joking - when Jamie Lee Curtis won the Oscar, I thought about the fact that she is the third cast and crew member from the great 1981 slasher movie Terror Train to win an academy award (John Alcott and Ben Johnson were the other two).

Crack To The Egg, drufty and Oatsdad like this.
  12. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I'm absolutely in with this. I thought "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once" was lightweight and outstayed its welcome, but the performances were top notch and these human beings are all such admirable people, too, as is Brendan Fraser in a film I directly did not like. am happy for all four.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    RSteven likes this.
  13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Other than Ke Huy Quan, my own choices for 2022's best acting performances are different, yet I have no trouble at all with this lineup. The Oscars did well this year.

14. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

The highlight for me was the huge night and reunions for Ke Huy Quan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SJP, 905, razerx and 5 others like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I honestly don't know about that. I just saw the chance for a cheap joke and took it! :D

16. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

Someone in a Facebook comment section started about Oscar's racism.... kind of not really the year for this argument but some people can't overlook being butthurt that Bassett lost to realize this year broke a lot of ground with Yeoh and Quan's wins... and even if JLC's win was essentially recognizing her body of work, Angela would've been a "you deserved to win in 1993, we're sorry, accept this please" consolation prize. Stephanie Hsu would've been the one if just going on performance but it didn't have the sentimental attachment Jamie's win carried (much like Austin Butler hasn't been cast out if Hollywood by being blacklisted as well as being cast aside for losing his looks and getting a second chance that Fraser did). When Jamie said "WE JUST WON AN OSCAR!!!!", she acknowledged her legions and multiple generations of fans and I can't picture Angela having the sort of humility in an acceptance speech

skisdlimit and phillyal1 like this.
  17. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

JLC specifically thanked the many fans of horror movies who've followed her work for decades. I can't imagine many (any?) other winners ever doing something like that. Many actors probably look at low budget genre films as nothing more than a stepping stone for their career, to be ignored later.

skisdlimit, phillyal1 and drufty like this.
  18. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

The Academy is notoriously snobbish to horror. I think of Toni Collette in Hereditary, Lupita Nyong'o in Us or even this past year Mia Goth for Pearl as great performances that the Academy didn't even nominate even though Toni and Lupita are respected in the biz. But because they were horror and not prestige pictures they got ignored

agentalbert, razerx, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hard to judge or predict something somebody never said. I think the point is that from a "traditional Hollywoo" standpoint, none of these winners are the kind of people that generally win. Several are people of color, none have "model good-looks," all of them are over 50... so from that standpoint, it's a welcome surprise to see the Academy welcome people this different from typical movie stars.

And I did all the home video color on Terror Train back in 1981, thank you very much.

22. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

eeglug likes this.
  23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

[​IMG]

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

(disagrees; prefers someone who would host in a non-vulgar way)

skisdlimit likes this.
  25. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

I dunno about the model looks thing. Jamie Lee is 64 and Brendan's about a decade younger but I'll raise you Trading Places and George Of The Jungle that they were both stunners in their younger days

RSteven and phillyal1 like this.